Just driven the new GTI, thanks to my job as Editor of

Volkswagen Driver mag

International press launch was at the Paul Ricard

circuit in south of France on Thursday/Friday last

week

Weather was atrocious (pouring rain) but car still

VERY impressive

Pulls strongly and smoothly, makes a lovely

induction / exhaust note, and handles brilliantly ?

was squealing the tyres even on a rain-soaked track

and I only spun it once, when the ESP was switched

off!

Made my modified Mk 4 1.8T feel distinctly lame as I

drove home from Stansted on Friday night

Full report in the December issue of Volkswagen

Driver mag...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Nice one Neil, look forward to reading the full article, but better get my sub in.....

BTW TopGear might be running the MkV program this week or very soon, as Ray (as you know) and bobski from here went along to Dunsfold for the shoot.

Clarkson said 'Buy One!' apparently.

John.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Look forward to reading the article [:)] The GTI seems to have shocked quite a few people - I've been shocked by the performance/handling of my TDI, but me thinks I'll have to upgrade it to GTI (or more [:D])levels.

I think the Top Gear segment should air first week of December?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Neil,

Thanks for the little taster of what you think of the car !

Look forward to reading the whole article in the next edition of the mag.

One question.... What do you feel is the better colour ? (assuming you have now seen most of them ?)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds impressive, can't wait for mine to arrive. I've got a VW Driver mag subscription, so hopefully I'll get my copy early!

Neil - Did the press cars have the 18s and did they have the polished/laquered finish on the front face of the spokes?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One question.... What do you feel is the better colour ? (assuming you have now seen most of them ?)

The cars we drove were all either red or black, although there was also a promo video featuring a white one which looked great

Personally, I would go for black or silver....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neil - Did the press cars have the 18s and did they have the polished/laquered finish on the front face of the spokes?

Both: the cars we drove on track had 19s with Michelins, the road route cars had 18s with Bridgestones

Weather was atrocious, though -pouring with rain most of the time - so didnt really notice the finish on the wheels..(!)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by NBirkitt on 01/11/2004 18:08:26

Neil - Did the press cars have the 18s and did they have the polished/laquered finish on the front face of the spokes? Both: the cars we drove on track had 19s with Michelins, the road route cars had 18s with Bridgestones Weather was atrocious, though -pouring with rain most of the time - so didnt really notice the finish on the wheels..(!)

Sorry, wishful thinking! ? that should, of course, have read 18s (on track) and 17s (on road)... (!)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Neil - did any of the test cars have DSG and if so, did they have steering wheel paddles? I fancy changing my order to include DSG, now the 3 door will have it from launch, but only if it has paddles. Cheers, Trev.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I wondered the same thing as I am thinking of selling my R and getting one of these.

Any way heres my posting with a link to the VWVortex site

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43361

I know in test drive mag they also said it would come with paddles. Have you driven the TT 3.2 with the DSG? If no try to get aq test drive in one they are brilliant

Thanks J, just read the Vortex link and it seems to imply the GTI will get the paddles. Just re-read the Test Drive mag write-up and although it mentions DSG, it doesn't seem to mention paddles. I have also read the MSM write-up and that does mention them, but the article does not sound very convincing to me. It sounds like someone has written it after reading a few news item on it - it's not a test drive report . I haven't driven any car with DSG, but it does sound like fun!

Surely, VW can tell you this - at least they should be able to tell you!

When the GTI customer care guy rang last week (from VW HQ) to check my order was right, I did ask him and he didn't know!

I think I will make a concerted effort to find out next week and if it has, I'll order it. I enjoyed my manual R32, but a I saw a road test on Motors TV where they drove a DSG R32 and they said it was 100% better than the manual version.

T.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Could VW driver mag please do a review with both manual and DSG version, identical cars and clock the acceleration times on the same time? Pretty please? :)

I just want to know if the DSG really is faster then manual. What I have seen so far, this is not the case :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just rang VW Customer Care re. steering wheel paddles. They said that the first memo they recieved on this said that the GTI would come with paddles, but their latest one says that it will NOT now come with them. Gutted.

Wish - are you able to confirm this via your dealership contact? Thanks.

Latest - just been up to my dealers who rang VW while I was there and they confirmed that DSG will not come with paddles, initially. Manual it is then.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Neil

You mentioned your MKIV felt lame.......what did you mean ??

Thought your MKIV had over 200bhp ??

Are you referring to the handling??

Is it better than a modded MKIV on Bilsteins chip etc as I was considering placing an order and selling our MKIV

Ian

1 - 20 of 38 Posts