Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a Fantastic car!!

Would have prefered it if the saleswoman hadn't come along as I could have proper given it some right foot [;)] But never mind, still had a play.

Steering is awesome and the handling is superb. And it goes and goes.

Not as quick as my Golf though, I gotta say, but then again my Golf is 'adjusted' somewhat, hehe.

Seats and driving position is brill too. Ahh.. proper hot-hatch!

One thing though. The Mini handles absolutely fantastically, however getting back into my Golf now with the Cooper S as a benchmark... Contrary to what the magazines say, the Golf 1.8T also handles pretty damn well. I think they've all just got too used to slagging it off in favour of their favourite Ford Focus [:(]

V tempted by a Mini now tho!

·
Registered
703 Posts
i want one.. its got enough room for me to live with after having test driven it.

The salesman with me was a like a codriver in a rally! kept telling to floor it and what was coming up around the bends LOL... was great fun, just i would have to sell both the Bora and the Mazda3 to buy one! I need 1 car with space.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dunno what to do now. I'm really really tempted to buy one as it was so much fun to drive. I was very impressed.

I could either buy one of their 2nd hand ones (they have the spec+kit I want parked right there)

or

Order one and wait 6ish months

or

Just forget it and buy a new GTI when they appear

Problem is with the new GTI, its just a bit too pricey for me and I am sick of VW after sales 'service'

Mini looks tempting. What should I do??!

·
Registered
493 Posts
A friend of mine has a Cooper S. He's just had the Works kit fitted and thinks it's fantastic. I've been in it and it is good fun but I have to agree that a modded Golf is definately faster although I think it'd be close on the twisties. Another thing is the price of the Works kit, he paid ?3500+ for it, which has taken it to 205bhp. A lot of money for what it is IMO. If I was to spend that on the Golf it'd be a fair bit more Bhp.

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Descision is almost made.

Think I'm gonna order a brand new-un this weekend.

Cooper S in Hyper Blue Metallic (with white roof) Chilli pack, upgrade to auto aircon and Radio Boost + CD and heated mirrors/jets.

Comes with free brilliant chassis!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I drove one recently, a mates courtesy car[:D].

Dam thing nearly swapped ends on a damp roundabout at not speed at all[:O]

I would buy a Smart Coupe Brabus if you are that way inclined[?]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hehe.. too late.

Ordered one this afternoon for delivery in June

Cooper S (now 170hp), Hyper Blue metallic, white roof/mirrors

Blue/black part leather interior

Chilli pack (Xenons, MFA, 17inch alloys, fogs + lots of other small stuff)

Climate control

Upgraded stereo

Heated Mirrors + washjets

Can't wait til June!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris, you gonna love it mate!

The Cooper S is like a go-kart, it handles like a dream! Aint got the punch of a mod'd 1.8T but its close! Definately a lot quicker than un-mod'd 1.8T.. plus it can deal with the power so well, the chassis is well sorted.

A bit noisy though compared to a Golf when you hammer it. But then again, I guess its meant to be!

Didn't put me off, I can't wait til June :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've ordered a Cooper S, but I've another month to wait. I'll be sad saying goodbye to the Golf but I think it will be worth it. My girlfriend drives a regular cooper, and that's a great drive, after test driving the S there was no possible way I could have left without ordering. The Mini Club (Mini2.com possibly?) seem to do a good few runs round my neck of the woods also I saw about 30 of them headed out towards Antrim last weekend, looked like good fun, fantastic roads to drive them on

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
My G/F drives a cooper S and although i loved driving it i find it a little bit unexciting compared to my modded 1.8T.

The supercharger is fantastic though IMO, the leather is also very comfortable.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL! It is gonna feel a bit un-exciting compared to yours Chief.. what is it 240ish hp ? [;)]

I've got 7 LONG months to wait now! But I can change/cancel me order any point up til April/May-ish apparently if I was to change me mind.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
How tall are you Union? I've only ever been in a normal Cooper once... and cant really remember it well. My main concern is that being broad and 6'2" ill look stupid in one! (thats the thing thats putting me off moving 'down' a car size to an S or 182... im really inclined to stay to the Golf sized cars).

Also, rear legroom is useless aint it?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Should be around 240 once i get my boost raised a bit, dastek proven at 220bhp at the moment [:D]

Don't let me put you off though mate, its a superb car i just get the feeling i would get bored of one within a few months.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chris, I'm 5'9"

What supprised me was the amount of space in the front, it didn't feel much smaller than my Golf, and certainly a more room than in a Polo, Corsa etc as Minis are fairly wide.

There seemed to be plenty headroom too, they're not as small as they look. Plus there's a lot of glass and not much metal which makes them feel quite bright and airy!

Rear seats tho.. err, not much legroom! I reacon your mates would file lawsuits for that deep vein thrombosis if they had to spend any time there..

hehe.. Just go and test drive one. Even if it is a bit small for you to consider buying, you can still have a proper grin enducing blast on a test drive!!! Mind.. I wasn't really that bothered about buying one til I did drive it and that, as they say, was that [:D]

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Chris,

Very true. Rear legroom is minimal and there isn't much luggage space. I'll take some pics sometime of my g/fs mini if you's like? Its that electric blue colour with a white roof and mirrors, silver wheels and black and blue leather. Not very manly but she looks cute driving it [:D]

1 - 20 of 81 Posts