Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted Image

none of the guys on vortex have this on there car! it gets in the way when isntalling the turbo and i could do without it! please advise if this can be removed for good! thanks allot

michael

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Looks like a headshield to shield something from the high temps the turbo can generate. It is obviously there for a reason then to prevent something from being cooked?

Also, with regards to it getting in the way when 'installing a turbo', unless changing your turbo is a regular occurance like filling up with petrol, I cant see it being an issue, unless you mean the new turbo is bigger and encroaches on the heatshield? Surely it can be taken off anyway simply enough with a few screws/bolts when it needs to, and surely whoever supplied the turbo, or has done the install, can advise of the modification and or need for this heatshield?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yeah looks like a heat shield and from the picture. You probably could take it off, but it must have been there for a reason. Perhaps you could refit it albeit in a modded state when finished?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
true! does your car have one of these at the back? if no then ill just rip it off, cos i unscrewed the 2 screws i could see but it looks as if it welded to the firewall lol. may have to use brutal force!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Dunno dude as she is off shopping in it. Cant say I have noticed but then havent looked for it either. I will certainly have a look for you when I see the car later on. Be sure to advise us on all progress mate.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dunno dude as she is off shopping in it. Cant say I have noticed but then havent looked for it either. I will certainly have a look for you when I see the car later on. Be sure to advise us on all progress mate.
ill let ya no!! thanks allot that would be great!!!

PLEASE CAN ANY ONE CHECK FOR ME ON THERE CAR!!

thanks

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heres whats behind them!

Posted Image

Posted Image

PLEASE CAN ANY ONE LOOK ON THERE CAR TO SEE IF THEY HAVE THIS METAL OR JUST THE SMALL PIPES BEHIND IT?!

1.8T THAT IS!

thanks allot

myk3

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Mate,
Id try and mod the shield and leave it in place.unless your gonna wrap your turbo you may melt the pipes behind it when your

turbo starts generating high temps.If it cant be modded get yourself some reflective heat shield material and cover up that are with it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
from your pic the pipes look like brake pipes with the extra heat of your eliminator it might heat the fluid up a little more making your brakes a little spongy. my car for some reason has not got it on looks like its been removed, also when i changed my manifold over the heat blankets that are poppered on to the pipework were all ripped ,i never got round to replacing them but so far i havent had any probs. hope this helps and keep us informed of your install  what software have you finally chosen ?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
For some reason I keep thinking of a post I read regarding that video of the Mk4 thats bursts into flames and a heatsheild.

I would leave it or substitute it for something else to fewlect the heat.

Rally Design, Burton Power or Deamon tweaks will be able to sell you reflextive material.

I run a V8 engine in an old ford, Everything is very close and a
lot of head is built up, Anything near a heatsource is covered or
wrapped in reflective fire proof material as i had problems with rubber
hoses and wires melting and shorting out.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Look like brake lines to me, so it be best to keep the heat shield there in some form or another, or the new turbo could heat the brake lines up enough to cook the fluid - not good if you're proper giving the car a hard blast and need to stop quickly ;)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Id modify it. didnt mk 4`s suffer alot from fires generated in the engine bay by the sound proofing peeling from the bulkhead and touching v.hot parts, i.e turbo.

The pipes are brake pipes as mentioned before, as it will cause your fluid to boil faster. Which will cause a brake fade effect

·
Registered
795 Posts
For some reason I keep thinking of a post I read regarding that video of the Mk4 thats bursts into flames and a heatsheild.

I would leave it or substitute it for something else to fewlect the heat.

Rally Design, Burton Power or Deamon tweaks will be able to sell you reflextive material.

I run a V8 engine in an old ford, Everything is very close and a lot of head is built up, Anything near a heatsource is covered or wrapped in reflective fire proof material as i had problems with rubber hoses and wires melting and shorting out.
I was thinking that to

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its ok! i removed the mani, dropped the turbo down, then fitted the mani then attached the turbo to mani. all done now just need to make a few tweeks [:mad:]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its ok! i removed the mani, dropped the turbo down, then fitted the mani then attached the turbo to mani. all done now just need to make a few tweeks [:mad:]

·
Registered
806 Posts
I hope the build is going ok mate. Do not let this happen. Nightmare.
[ulr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjGPipy_zcE&mode=related&search=[/ulr]

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
turbo, lines, mani etc etc is in! the ONLY prob is the Allen button on the mani after taking allot of abuse of coming off and on has rounded off!!!!!! so it isnt in contact with the mani, all the other 12 nuts are tight ass and i am hoping this wont encourage a leak. i spoke to ATP and they said just go ahead with the install and that is is non critical. i have a new gasket in place and all the others are tight, i cant see there being much if any of a leak.

to get the rounded allen bolt off it would be much easier if the engine is out or the turbo wasnt in the way.

just need to install the IC piping, big bore inlet and reattach the valves etc. then done. hope to be done soonish.

thanks

myk3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts