Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 115TDI 2 years ago and was never convinced that it was up
to speed.............so I bought a new maf off ebay for 49 quid from
the portland group.........what a difference it makes. It pulls
throughout the rev range and really shows its torque when
overtaking.;superb.

Recommend anyone who thinks theres is going or gone to change it, although mine did not show on vagcom as a problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Think you've just convinced me to do mine! My mpg is going thru the floor and also not convinces she's going as fast as she can...

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Is there a lifespan on a MAF? I've had my car nearly 2 years and not changed it (and I think my fuel economy is pants too!)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've always thought there was a problem with my MAF too, didn't sure up as a problem (like you say) so i ignored it...eventually got my car chipped and it 'overrid' the 'dead spot' problem i seemed to be able to feel....but that being said although it now goes past the old dead spot there's still something there....

so, if i get a new MAF, do i get one that matched the original 110BHP or the new chipped 160BHP??

any help would be grateful, thanks you ledges [Y]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
some seem to be ok. Mine is coming up on 3 years and ive nearly 120k on it and it still produced 200bhp+ on the rollers.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Dealer...but im biased [;)]
lol!! Problem with dealers is that it's too expensive!!![;)]

Must admit, I'm going to be having a look at the Portland Group for my MAF. I believe that they supply Bosch MAFS. And the best part is they're ?45 plus I can keep my old MAF in case it's not the cause of my problems.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I've always thought there was a problem with my MAF too, didn't sure up as a problem (like you say) so i ignored it...eventually got my car chipped and it 'overrid' the 'dead spot' problem i seemed to be able to feel....but that being said although it now goes past the old dead spot there's still something there....

so, if i get a new MAF, do i get one that matched the original 110BHP or the new chipped 160BHP??

any help would be grateful, thanks you ledges [Y]
Cos your car is non PD, putting a PD MAF in probably isnt a good idea! I have a 110TDI too but i put in a Mercedes MAF off a CDI. This was when the dealer bosh ones were about ?200! I paid ?45 and it was a bargin, totally transformed the car and two years later, its still pulling great! Used to loose power at 3k, not all the way up to 4500rpm. Loads of people are running the Mercedes-Pierburg one on here! Have a search around!

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
If its one of the pre PD engines you have i.e 90 and 110bhp TDi's and you car feels flat and doesnt pull hard to 4000prm then get it changed.

Did mine when I first got the car and it transformed the car totally.

I got mine from my local Lucas dealer which is a Bosch stockist. Paid around ?56 exchange.

If in any doubt, and especially if the one on your car is a Bosch, then change it!

You can do a quick test to see if the maf has already failed but its not 100% reliable in showing up a failing ones (worked for me though). Disconnect the wiring connector to the maf and drive the car up the road, if it seems to pull better and smoother then chances are you maf is knackered. Note: its not recommended to drive for long periods of time with the maf disconnected.

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
O right, how much would it cost Bristol VW to fit it as well?

Also TDiMJ, i have another post open about my car hesitating. Could the MAF be the cause of that?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts