Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and oooooo is she sweet :)

As it's 92K on an S Plate, I have booked her in for a service, Cam belt, v-belt, water pump, front brakes and pads change ...

Then i will really give her a good test out ;)

Thanks for your advice over the past few days and i think i'm going to like these forums.

If anyone has any tips for me, then please posto below :)

Just had the above works carried out and she drives like a true dream [^]. Still taking it easy, until the new breaks are bedded in like [:D]

Best car purchase me has made to date. Lovely[^]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Good your having the cambelt done now.. well beyond what most of us would have gone for that. Things to watch out for.. MAF, DV fluttering, window regulators going.. worth having the repair kit to hand before, btw ! Loads of possible mods though !

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Good choice of mota mate [;)]

Dont forget to get the tensioner pully + water pump replaced at the same time!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys :)

W36 EJO- I managed to secure the deal at ?4800 inc roof bars :)

tylerama - Repair kit?, whats that consist of m8?

Paul C - yeah good point. I bought the H20 pump, pully kit + Damper.. Also bought the v-belt :)

bte the front tyres are a brand i have never heard of "Barvuris Barum" 205/55/16.. 91V

Does anyone know if these are any good?

·
Registered
161 Posts
En4cer, those 'barum' tyres are a budget brand and wont last 5 minutes, get some permium brand tyres on, they may be more expensive, but they will last alot longer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote: posted by v6rkc on 07/04/2005 12:19:07

En4cer, those 'barum' tyres are a budget brand and wont last 5 minutes, get some permium brand tyres on, they may be more expensive, but they will last alot longer.

Yeah but the Barum's are new and on the front. Should i just wear them down

b4 i spend anymore of my hard earned cash??

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
"cheap" tyres are simply a harder compound.........which infact means they will lst longer, but not grip that well.

more expensive tyres are softer compound, so grip better, but wear quicker.......

and the torque steer in the 1.8T in the wet is BAD.........so grip is needed!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: posted by Essex Escy on 07/04/2005 12:55:25

"cheap" tyres are simply a harder compound.........which infact means they will lst longer, but not grip that well.

more expensive tyres are softer compound, so grip better, but wear quicker.......

and the torque steer in the 1.8T in the wet is BAD.........so grip is needed!

These Barums are what came with the car, they have 7mm of thread and look new. Do you think a tyre place would give me anything for these against another purchase.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Welcome mate,

youll find everything you need here to pimp yo ride

Hope you have loads of spare cash or organs you can sell on ebay.[:D]

Disclaimer:The pimp your ride bit was a joke by the way

·
Registered
518 Posts
welcome aboard matey, good choice of car and a good price too.

I'd consider REVO sooner, rather than later tho. It'll completely transform the performance of the car....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by Gareth_1.8T on 07/04/2005 18:29:52

welcome aboard matey, good choice of car and a good price too.

I'd consider REVO sooner, rather than later tho. It'll completely transform the performance of the car....

Thanks for the nice welcome fellas.

I have an AGU engine code is that good? why ? :)

I have read abit about Revo. How would i switch between the performance and std program. I don't have a cruise control stalk?

Is there a massive speed improvement? and whats the damage for this work.....

Thanks again guys[:X]

Soz for being a Knobert [B)]

·
Registered
518 Posts
For an AGU, its probably best to go for the Upsolute chip as its cheaper than the re-maps - and IMO better value on the older engines. - plus its only about 300 quid

If you were to opt for REVO (around 500 notes) you would be able to switch between performance and std modes by means of an SPS1 controller (an extra 150 pound). Sadly, due to the fact the AGU has a throttle cable and is not DBW (drive by wire), you won't be able to go for the all singing all dancing SPS3 and REVO 4 bar programme.

TBH there are plenty of quality performance modifications for the engine and plenty of quality respected tuners out there. So whatever you choose, i'm sure you won't be disappointed.

You should come along to the next london meet and get introduced to some of us southern MKIV owners. - if you want to see the improvment in performance - i'll take you for a spin in my upsoluted AGU to show you the difference.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote: posted by Gareth_1.8T on 07/04/2005 21:19:44

For an AGU, its probably best to go for the Upsolute chip as its cheaper than the re-maps - and IMO better value on the older engines. - plus its only about 300 quid

If you were to opt for REVO (around 500 notes) you would be able to switch between performance and std modes by means of an SPS1 controller (an extra 150 pound). Sadly, due to the fact the AGU has a throttle cable and is not DBW (drive by wire), you won't be able to go for the all singing all dancing SPS3 and REVO 4 bar programme.

TBH there are plenty of quality performance modifications for the engine and plenty of quality respected tuners out there. So whatever you choose, i'm sure you won't be disappointed.

You should come along to the next london meet and get introduced to some of us southern MKIV owners. - if you want to see the improvment in performance - i'll take you for a spin in my upsoluted AGU to show you the difference.

I think i might take you up on the offer and pop down to the next meet.

I'd love to go once round the block for old times sakes :)

On a more serious note, - Does the Upsolute chip decrease fuel economy much over an unchipped car?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts