Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

So as title says I just bought some 180bhp rear calipers for a very good price (not sure if the guy knew what they were worth) anyway my question is this, as I wont be using them for a few months will it be ok to store them as is in a dry shed in a sealed bag or will that do any damage?

Also another thing is they have pads in that have loads of life left so I was thinking that I could re-use them is this ok? and lastly the pads are a make called Apec I have never heard of these anyone know what they are like?

Here are some pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for the help. [:)]

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
I have seen a few sets of Apec brake pads on ebay but dont know if they are any good. I dont see why you cant re-use them.

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
Should be ok just to put them in a bag in a dry place.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Apec are okay. They have "Block Exemption" approval, and as such are supposed to be OEM equivalent. I've used them myself in the van for many years.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
apec are cheap, but okay for the money. a set of them would probably cost about a tenner so depending on how much money you have, you might wanna just replace them when you put the new calipers and discs on.

saying that, rear brakes do almost nothing anyway so you'll not lose any braking performance by re-using the above pads.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Normal driving and gentle braking uses the rear brakes more than the front. Heavy braking uses the fronts more. So if you just drive about town using a little braking pressure between the lights etc. the rears do all the work.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had a look and I actually have ferodo pads on my standard rears atm, so I may just reuse them with some pagid discs, will they fit on a 256 rear disc?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts