Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ,i just bought a MK4 gti off evil bay ,when i got home i checked the mot history on DVLA website and found mot in august 2009 showed 145,580miles. mot in august 2010 showed 95,036miles so car has lost 50,000miles.

So what should i do ,who should i contact first ? The add said they have owned car for a year, the wife said hubby was a trader (not mentioned in add) So do i contact
Seller first or

Ebay or

police.

·
Registered
483 Posts
How long had the previous owner had the car?If he owned it when it went for MOT in 2009,then only he could have changed the mileage and would be guilty of altering the mileage and selling it knowing this which is an offence.If it was owned by someone else then he could claim no knowledge of the previous mileage.I would contact him first,but make it clear that if there is no amicable resolution,then it would be reported to Ebay and the Police.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think the problem you have if they have only owned the car since early 2010 is that they could have bought the car with 90,000 miles or whatever after it had already been clocked by the previous owner eg. in November 09.The DVLA will have a record of the keepers from Aug 09 to present,at which point one of them must have altered the mileage.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You can check the mileage in the ecu using VCDS or k+commandor.
Changing the mileage in the cluster does not leave any marker to say it's been changed. Not many crooks would bother/have the abiltiy to change the ecu.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You can check the mileage in the ecu using VCDS or k+commandor. Changing the mileage in the cluster does not leave any marker to say it's been changed. Not many crooks would bother/have the abiltiy to change the ecu.
Can the mileage be checked by using vcds then and how is it done?

Would be handy for future checks.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
There are loads of ways to check the ecu mileage. The easiest is just to do a full scan and save it, the mileage on the screen is from the ecu. There can be some differences between the ecu and cluster but the worst I have found is 20miles.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
This always sucks.. i would hate for this.. but i know whats done is done.. However WHY DIDNT YOU DO THE CHECKS BEFORE..

Goodluck sorting it mate.. i hope you reach a solution you are happy with!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a car check on "mycarcheck.com" before i got the car this all came back clear.

The MOT history can only be checked once you have the number off the test certificate ,i could not do this till i got all the paperwork.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I did a car check on "mycarcheck.com" before i got the car this all came back clear.

The MOT history can only be checked once you have the number off the test certificate ,i could not do this till i got all the paperwork.
Those car checks do bugger all other than check there is no HPI, its not stolen and hasnt been written off.

The checks you need to do are document checks, a good look over and even jack the car up 2 have a quick look underneath!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bummer, We all do the usual HPI checks but checking the MOT's is a after thought. Guess this highlights the importance of doing this check as well. I know this dose'nt help you mate. Perhaps contact the seller and if your happy with the car itself ask for a substanial refund otherwise Police.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i guess most people cant b bothered with all the paperwork involved and extra hassle, which is agreat shame as these clockers [:mad:]should b stopped, im surprised its still going on as all mot's are electronic so can b easily checked over[8-|]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts