Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little bit earlier than expected but decided to purchase a Canon EOS 20D yesterday. Its a joint purchase with my Dad as he needs a decent camera for fast frame shooting (it does 5fps IIRC). I was tempted to wait until January so I could pick one up Hong Kong but reading up on the internet got the better of me!

Jessops were doing an offer for the 20D body with a 18-55mm Canon EF-S Lens, which although not the best lens in the world, will still be a good starting point. Canon are also offering ?100 cash back on purchases before end of December.

Haven't had a chance to use it much but, I plan to get out one lunchtime this week and take some shots of the river.

Need to pick up a larger CF card now - pref. 1gb or larger with a high transfer rate. Any recommendations on the best places to buy?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I wouldn't go over 1Gb, just buy more than 1 card if you really need
it. I find even shooting lots of RAW files on a 1Gb there's plenty of
space. Have a look at Ebuyer as they often do them with postage foc.
The Kingston ones are good but if you do a google search there is a
review of a load somewhere. Good camera btw - make sure you get some
better lenses as the 18-55 really isn't a good lens - I have one and am
looking to buy better. The Tamron 18-200mm XDii (or something like
that) is very good for the money.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Nice one, Tabs. Been reading some reviews of these while on the
cra-- while on my breaks at work and they look the nuts. Clearly
I'm falling behind with my enthusiast camera! Next year I'm
planning to get something SLR shapped as I'm already finding flaws in
mine. I'll be keen to see what shots your takes [:)]

David

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips Nick. I'll probably start another thread re. lenses as I'm not too well up on all the various ones on offer.

I guess I'll have to try and aim for a high speed 1GB CF card. Will have to check the internal transfer speed of the 20D as its pointless getting a higher speed card than what the camera can handle.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good and fast cards I would recommend (what I use for motorsport):

1) Lexar 80X CF

2) Sandisk Extreme III

the Lexar would be the better choice between the two, can get it for around ?58.99 delivered from eBay. It even comes with its own recovery software in case it fails. I do favour 1Gb card, gives a decent storageand doesn't cost a bomb compared to the larger 2Gb+ cards

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXAR-1GB-80X-PRO-COMPACT-FLASH-CARD-WA-80X_W0QQitemZ7556728878QQcategoryZ18868QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

P.S. Don't worry the 20D is renowed for its sport and very fast autofocus capability, you won't be disappointed with the above recommendation.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Nice one, Tabs. Been reading some reviews of these while on the
cra-- while on my breaks at work and they look the nuts. Clearly
I'm falling behind with my enthusiast camera! Next year I'm
planning to get something SLR shapped as I'm already finding flaws in
mine. I'll be keen to see what shots your takes [:)]

David
I'd suggest hanging on a little. I've a feeling the 20D is about to be
superceeded. They did the cashback thing with the 300D when I bought it
and the next month the 350D came out. Prices of the 300D then fell to
below what I'd paid for the 300D including the cashback. Now they're
doing it on the 20D so it seems reasonable to assume this is going to
occur though I've nothing factual to base that on.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're probably right Nik. The 20D's been around for some two years now and with the 5D and 1D being quite new its probable they'll want to address the mid market with an updated 20D.

Mind, I'll go pig sick if they bring a new one out next month [:(]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Tabs, doesnt the 20D take microdrive? If so, I swear ebuyer has a 2.2GB for about ?40. I bet someone will tell me that they are not that good though, but for storage it seems a lot for the money. I guess the write speed is slower and drains the battery more as well.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not to keen on Micro drives for the reasons you've stated mate. Plus they're a little on the sensitive side.

Anyway, bought the Ebay one Smallboy linked above, so I'm committed now [:p]
To Tabs & all keen photographers, my advice is always to AVOID microdrives like a plague. Your standard Flash memory is much better and more reliable because it's less fragile, contains no moving parts and way faster in terms of reading/writing/transfer speeds. Of course, MD will still work on your 20D since it's still a CF Type II compatible size. Stay well away from it if I were you.

The strategies between Canon and Nikon are quite different. The former tends to bring out new models evvery year while the latter produce cameras that normally have a relatively longer shelf lives. There's no point in waiting because you know there 's always something better and newer to come out as soon as you have bought yours, so just get the camera WHEN you need it - think about all the possible photographic opportunities you may have missed while waiting...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey thanks for the tip on MD. I have a S602 at the moment and I use a 512MB CF card in it (alongside an ancient 128MB SmartMedia) and have been temped to get a MD for it just because it can store more, so always wondered if it really was that bad? I mean is it worse than the writing speed of a SmartMedia card for instance? Or is it just matter of the moving parts making the storage prone to damage?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey thanks for the tip on MD. I have a S602 at the moment and I use a 512MB CF card in it (alongside an ancient 128MB SmartMedia) and have been temped to get a MD for it just because it can store more, so always wondered if it really was that bad? I mean is it worse than the writing speed of a SmartMedia card for instance? Or is it just matter of the moving parts making the storage prone to damage?
Of course, moving parts are potentially prone to failure, so getting lots of fast CF cards would be your best bet. MD are really product of 2/3 year ago when prices of 1Gb/2GB..etc flash media cards used to be sky high and it really provided a cheaper alternative for people who needed a large amount of storage space. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Congrats Tabs thats a cool camera.

I bought a 350d recently but treated myself to the better EF-S 17-85 IS lens. I compared this to the standard lens in the shop and the difference was clear so I was hooked. I will buy a larger zoom soon (maybe with those vouchers............)

I bought the Sandisk Extreme III 1GB CF card too with Aric's blessing. Seems to be the popular choice. Shooting in jpeg it holds 260 images.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Awesome choice of camera, although I am biased! I love mine!!!

They have that quality proper feel to them, probably cos' they are so heavy compared to say the EOS350D!!

I would definately recommend a Sandisk Extreme III 1Gb card, they are
the fastest and best imho, you definately want the best card you can
get to sustain the frame rate capabilties of the 20D, I have one of
these and can get about 70-80 RAW images on it or about 250 highest
quality JPG's.

Remember the multiplication factor when choosing zooms for these
cameras is 1.6 i.e. my 28-200 EF lens is really a 45-320, which along
with the standard lens similar to yours covers most eventualities.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Nice cam Mr T [:)] Im trying my best to restrain myself from going to DSLR!! [:(] gotta save my ???? for a house! but this new section of the forum and posts like this arnt helping [:)] please delete it all [;)]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You're probably right Nik. The 20D's been around
for some two years now and with the 5D and 1D being quite new its
probable they'll want to address the mid market with an updated 20D.

Mind, I'll go pig sick if they bring a new one out next month [:(]
That's how I felt when I heard about the 350D!!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info on CF cards. I've now bought the Lexar CF so I'll see how it goes.

My Dad swooped in and bought a bag, grip and battery as well yesterday!

Hopefully should get a chance to use the camera this week. Theres quite a lot of construction work going in around Liverpool, which is mostly flood lit at night. It would make for some really interesting shots...

I best pack my thermals!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts