Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought it private, and I think I might have got a bit of a raw deal.

115k on the clock, when I took it a test drive I noticed the gears were sticky especially 3rd, something which I could live with.

Bought the car for £1100, few electrical problems and a few bumps, but the price I was paying for my existing petrol Almera, I would be saving £500 a year on fuel. So I was happy enough.

On the drive home, I noticed it shuddering sometimes when I was coming to a stop. Took it to a friend of a friend that night to have a look (a young mechanic) and he noticed there was also a slight knocking sound when changing gears at a low gear along with the stickyness, he recommended that the gear box needed replaced (a bit extreme I thought). At the minute I'm going to replace the oil in the gear box to see if that helps with the stickyness at least. Another note - when I try the gears when the car is in neutral (engine on and off) they go in and out without a problem, it seems to be only when the car is 'working'.

More recently I have started to notice the shuddering at traffic lights/at the low gears. I can live with it, but it is annoying. I have been reading, and the more and the more I read, the more I am getting worried that I need a fly wheel/clutch replacement as well [:(]. But I'm hoping that it's just a bearing.

Would it be possible that I was stupid enough/unlucky enough to buy a car that needed all three need replaced? I don't want to throw it to a mechanic who will just replace everything for the sake of it, I'd rather take the time and go through every possiblity one by one.

Thanks in advance for the help

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
if you've got to have the gearbox done, get them both done.

Once you've paid the labour to have the gearbox out, it makes sense to do the flywheel and clutch, as the cost of the parts is relativly low, and guarentees them to last for the rest of the egines life.

I dont much about gearboxes, so cant offer much help as to how to remedy the problem. hope it dosnt turn out to expensive to sort.

oh, and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds more like just a flywheel/clutch issue than a whole new gearbox, although it is difficult without seeing it. Do you get any bearing noise from the box or any clunks when changing gear ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Latest: found out a guy I play football with owns his own VW garage with his dad, he had a drive after football, going through the low gears. He said it was fine but mentioned something about maybe getting a wishbone replaced on the passenger side, and getting the gears realigned (I mentioned the youtube video). He said it was a good deal I got, so that put me in a good mood!! Maybe its just me getting used to a diesel from having a petrol for so long!

And of course like a hypochondriac who just got the all clear from the doctor, I started thinking after he left and I was driving home. He was in the car for no more than 2 mins though and seemed in a bit of a hurry to get on (prob because I wasn't paying for his services!), but I don't know if he noticed a slight knock/clunk sometimes when I'm in 1st/2nd gear - but it happens more when I release the accelerator (maybe pressing too), rather than releasing the clutch (I actually can't recall if it ever does when I release the clutch).

P.S. Appreciating all the feedback here big time.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If you want to keep things cheap the first thing i would do would be to give the car a good service, oils and filters etc. Do the gearbox oil also and top up any levels. Im not sure but can you top up the clutch fluid?

If the above doesnt solve any of your problems then i would look into getting a good independant garage to look at it further, someone who KNOWS about vw and mk4's.

Dont jump in at the deep end, paddle for a bit to warm yourself up then jump in if needed lol.

·
Registered
296 Posts
what kind of tdi ? 90 bhp or 110bhp ?

juddering when slowing down ether is faulty injectors or flywheel had these problems before and solved it with them changed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it was MOT'd before December so it had a service then. My mate from football said the gearbox oil shouldn't have to be changed it should do the life of the car, (conflicts with what I've been reading here) but better keeping it topped up anyway. Would the clutch fluid be topped up for a service?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You could do with having the suspension bushes checked out as suggested before you go to the internals of the mechanics, a judder to one person is "its always done that" to another.. As matt32 has said, check out the easy stuff before you off at the deepend and have your wallet emptied

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True, to be honest I'm happy to drive it with these 'problems', the main problem is the sticky gears. I'm going to try adjusting the shift linkage (
). Anyone tried this?

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
First off welcome and get some [^^] uploaded of her.

If I was you I would take it to your mate and get all the bush's checked in the wishbones, as that could be causing the knocking when your breaking. Also your dogbone mount could be worn, which is a cheap and easy job you can do your self. As you have an early model like the one I had, then getting the gears realigned is more complex than on the newer style gear linkiage. On the newer style all you need is an allen key to lock the gear knob, but on the older style you need a special tool to lock it.

Have a look at THIS thread and I am pretty sure you will have the lower one of the styles like I had.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apologies for the bad picture (it's rotated 90 deg) but i have circled where the locking mechanism should be able to pull away. Looks to be a big plate there holding both cables? I haven't put my hands in there yet to try, but is it any different to that link you sent me?

·
Pro tinkerer
5,647 Posts
As I thought you have the older style as I had, so the video you put up is no good to you mate. Is the counter weight loose at all, as that had come a bit loose on mine at one point? If it is take the black plastic cover off that is held on with three nuts, and there is a bigger nut under the cover that will want tightening up.

·
Registered
538 Posts
if you can feel the juder through the brake pedal when braking, it will be a bush or caliper sticking did it on 2 of mine 1 was a bush other caliper.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not really when braking, but in short it all boils down to:

1. A knocking sound when I press/release the accelerator (thinking dogbone/wishbone mount)

2. A slight rattle when in neutral/free wheeling (not sure, could be associated with issue 1)

3. Sticky gears (can I adjust the linkage cable in my '99 MK4 at all then?)

Throwing into a garage some stage this week hopefully, I think if it sounds like I half know what I'm talking about, they'll not take me for a mug!

Also to mention, I don't think the rattle has to do with braking (it it does it when idle as well) but won't rule it out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yikes!! Better pray its not the flywheel! I had a Dual Mass Flywheel go on my last car, and that with a clutch change was £1100 [facepalm] You might be alright if theres not a DMF fitted to your car, I know the 130 and 150 have DMF (why did I get a 150?? lol) but not sure what BHP yours is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is 90 bhp. Would I be looking for a SMF? Thought I read somewhere that diesels shouldn't have DMF, due to increased rattling damaging clutch in the long term or am I wrong?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts