Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wondering about a Civic for a couple of weeks now and those lovely people at Honda are doing their best to tempt me back to the Jap side.

After about an hour going over what they have to offer I was shown the door.... to the door of an 05 Civic R in Gun metal. I have to say I found the build, sound, performance and look frankly amazing - better in all respects than my Golf.

The kick you get in 2nd gear is amazing and the way it turns in is full of confidence and is very controlled. 20 minute unassisted test drive later and i'm seriously thinking it over.

Decisions, decisions...!

David

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As good as a Revo'd car is it is not even close to the CTR experience. I drove a Revo'd AUG like mine last year and yes it was pretty quick but the CTR wins hands down for me. Having said that i do love my Golf as it is so this is just testing the water :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not wishing to open up another Golf V CTR thread, but IMO and experience a REVO'd Golf will match a CTR in straight line performance.

Agree the CTR is a seriously focused awesome bit of kit tho....

Tough choice....

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
straight line across the range i agree it'd probably be pretty close but its the total package that sold it for me. went around a roundabout at 270 degrees and i could feel the LSD going MORE MORE MORE!!!! Hit the rev limiter 4 times and barely left 3rd [:p]

Good fun [:)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
go for the CTR! I want one but cannot afford one atm! insurance isnt a problem its just the initial outlaw! if u can afford it, get it imo! [:D]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what they're suggesting is about the same as i pay for mine now with a final payment at the end which is optional. What i wont be able to do is just hand the keys back. Whatever value i have on the car can go to any car they are selling, even something half the price, giving me a cash sum. or i could put it towards the new CTR is 3 years.

Cars are my only real fetish so spending 300 on that is better than wee weeing it away on drinking or going on hugely flash holidays every 6 months.

all depends where you get your fun from and how much you can spend on it safely.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i did find it very hard to drive under restraint, which while exciting is a bit worrying! hehe

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I would have lost my license had i got one last year..... they beg you to drive silly quick everywhere!

People can say 'revo the golf'... but add to that the better brakes you need, better suspension, and in standard form still looks very bland... its not hard to see why people consider the CTR, a car which holds its value extremely well.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I also test drove one about a year ago and i loved it

the main reason i walked away was that the sales guy was a complete plonker

anyway there is a gun metal one knocking around here just now and i must say it looks lush

i would say by the sounds of it your heart is already made up mate [;)]

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i'm going to see what they come back with tomorrow and i'll decide from then. Doing the deal the way they proposed does take my flexibility away (cant give back the keys after the 3 years - have to trade the value of the CTR against something they have in stock, be it higher or lower) so i'm just wondering what to do. Still there is a lot to be said for sticking with Honda.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I picked up my Cosmic Grey CTR on Saturday having just come from an APR'd AGU. The CTR is quicker when pushed, and would leave a remapped Golf. I raced one in my Golf, and it left me.

I'm very happy with the CTR, and the GF prefers it too. She thinks it feels more comfy and looks more modern.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote: posted by vedhead on 02/04/2005 19:04:43

straight line across the range i agree it'd probably be pretty close but its the total package that sold it for me. went around a roundabout at 270 degrees and i could feel the LSD going MORE MORE MORE!!!! Hit the rev limiter 4 times and barely left 3rd [:p]

Good fun [:)]

Just to be picky mate. The EP3 CTR (Current one) doesn't have an LSD. The old EK9 one does though. Great car though, had one for three years and 100,000 miles. It's recently been replaced with a brand new LCR 225 (now with added Revo[^]). But I do miss the CTR like hell sometimes. It wipes the floor with the LCR in regards to fun factor.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Have to also add, the dealer that i dealt with when i was sooo close to buying one was the best example of a car dealership i've ever had.... great people. A very stark contrast to the VAG brand!

I absolutely love the noise the car makes too.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice motors,the bloke next door has got one ,he has had it for about 5 months and is now selling due to 26mpg !!!!thats the problem they like to be thrashed so can be costly to run.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I say go for it!

Looks like you found the same thing I found with the CooperS. Yeah the CooperS aint as quick as the CTR, but its just as driver focused and thats what hooked me. [:D]

Just so nice to go tanking into a corner and just flooring it because you can.. because they made it handle sooo well and cause they stuck an LSD on it for the hell of it! Plus the engine screams at you to hit it harder [:D]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts