Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In my current system, I have a Maxtor 80GB HD, plus 9 ATA-133 7200rpm, 2mb cache.

This one - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=23706

It is partitioned into 2 x 30GB and 1 x 20GB with the operating system and all my programs on one of the 30GB partitions.

I have bought another hard drive exactly the same, and intend to keep the original as it is, along with the operating system as it is. I wish to use the new hard drive for extra storage.

Does anyone know how the jumper switches work on this or can provide any info please?? I dont wish to set it up wrong and be unable to boot up at all. I understand nothing at all about jumper switches.

I am aware of the need to format it once its in and I think I know how to do this, its just these jumper switches on the back I cant figure out.

Many thanks if you can help.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Basically there are three jumper postitions, Master, Slave and Cable
Select. Your current hard drive should already be set to Master as this
is the one you boot from, you needto set the jumper on your new one to
slave. You should then be able to boot into windows and format it.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would appear from this page:-

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a1.htm

That I have to simply s elect the current one as master, and the second new one as slave - would that be right?

The current one alone as it stands does not seem to be set to anything on these diagrams above - it is just crossed between the top two pins of J48 and J46 I think......

This would mean changing the old jumper too - If there is one drive do the jumpers matter? or do you just have to configure them if there is more than one drive?

·
Registered
875 Posts
That is it. Looking at the above diagram you need to set you current
drive as per the 1st of the six choices and the new one as the second.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to set your current one to the master
position and see if you can still get into windows before adding the
new drive. If you can't just puthe jumper back to where it is now and
let me knowthen we can try something else.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Its actually a lot easier just to set it to cable s elect and allow the cable to det the master and slave for you. As long as your boot drive goes in the connector at the end of the cable it will be fine.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive been on trying this and different arrangements for a while now. Gave up for now. The furthest I got was it recognising the drive but not recognising my dvd or cd drive. Bugger!

Will try again after a think over a few days. It might be the sequence they are all linked to my motherboard, and how they boot through the BIOS.

My bios is set to boot via cd/dvd drives or floppy first incase of problems. I will speak to the lad who helped me set it up - he will know how he did it hopefully. There is no urgency[:D]

Cheers for advice.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Personally I'd avoid cable s elect like the plague - it's only ever worked once, the rest of the times I've had drives detect in the wrong order, on one occasion it changed order, and that just results in partitions all over the shop - much better to statically define them with the jumpers [y]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Aye, CS was a cool idea but in reality a can of worms.

SATA is the way forward, can't get it wrong [:p] Except if you have a drive with both SATA and legacy Molex power connectors and decided to use both...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
What people have forgot to say is that it depends on which IDE cable you are using to connect the hard drive to. IDE 1 or 2. IDE 1 should already just go to your one hard drive. IDE 2 should go to your CD ROM drive(s).

Put the hard drive you already have on the end of the IDE cable, and use the IDE connector in the middle of the cable to connect the second hard drive. The normal drive will already be set to master. Set the second hard drive to slave, plug it all in and away you go.

Don't forget you will need to format the drive if its not already in disk utilities in Win XP to use it.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What people have forgot to say is that it depends on which IDE cable you are using to connect the hard drive to. IDE 1 or 2. IDE 1 should already just go to your one hard drive. IDE 2 should go to your CD ROM drive(s).

Put the hard drive you already have on the end of the IDE cable, and use the IDE connector in the middle of the cable to connect the second hard drive. The normal drive will already be set to master. Set the second hard drive to slave, plug it all in and away you go.

Don't forget you will need to format the drive if its not already in disk utilities in Win XP to use it.
The best I got was when I connected both hard drives as you say that way to IDE 1. They were both recognised by the computer but I mistakenly clicked a few OK squares on the disk manager and the disk was set to DYNAMIC. I really wanted it to be set to BASIC as my other one is. I did not go ahead with formatting it as I wanted to partition it and couldnt seem to do that whilst it was DYNAMIC. (I hope that makes sense)

Also during this, I had my DVDRW drive and CDRW drive connected to IDE2 but the computer did not acknowledge they were there at all. I later realised they were BOTH set to master with the jumpers - could that have been why?

By then I was sick and just gave up for the night, setting it all back up as it was originally!

The new HD is now in the case, but just not connected, not set to BASIC, not partitioned, and not formatted.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It didnt seem to have the option to partition the drive (when I right clicked on it) when it was showing as dynamic.  Also, what are the other differences - whats legacy compatibility?  I read an article which advised basic instead of dynamic but I cant remember why now.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I seem to recall you need to initialise it first. I'm using Win 98 at home and my 2000 Server test machine is buried under a mountain of junk. Try right-clicking on the grey square to the left of the partition, which shows you the disk number. After that it should give you the option. Otherwise you can always convert back to Basic.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Don't know if it will help - but if you manually set the jumpers for the HDs, just set everything in the disk configuration within your BIOS to auto and let it sort itself out.

RE your cd/dvd - before you plugged the second HD in, were they BOTH (cd/dvd) on the second IDE cable?? If not, make sure the jumpers aren't conflicting on that [:)]

C

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, ive been weighing things up and I think im getting somewhere. Im going to connect both hard drives in sequence as mentioned to the IDE 1 slot. Thats how it worked last time. Ill try the right click thing in the box near to the drive to try and convert it to basic. Hopefully the rest I will figure out as I go.

I will then have my dvd and cd drives connected to the IDE 2 slot. The last time I did this the computer did not detect them. I realised afterwards that both these drives had jumpers switched to "master". Could that be why neither was recognised? Or will it be something else?

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RE your cd/dvd - before you plugged the second HD in, were they BOTH (cd/dvd) on the second IDE cable?? If not, make sure the jumpers aren't conflicting on that [:)]

C
They were not both on the IDE2 cable - one was alone on the IDE2, the other was on the IDE 1.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts

C
They were not both on the IDE2 cable - one was alone on the IDE2, the other was on the IDE 1.
Check your jumpers on the CD devices as well then just in case [y]

C

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorted now:-

IDE 1 -----HD2(slave)------HD1(master)

IDE 2 -----CDRW(slave)-----DVDRW(master)

Boots up fine, converted the hew HD back to basic, partitioned it and formatted it without any further problems!!

Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts