Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just got a 2001 1.8 T golf yesterday. Was driving fine yesterday and this morning but on the way home from work today i went to pull away in first and the power seemed to die then come back a couple of times, making the car jump. Was very scary as i was pulling into traffic. This went away pretty quickly. When i got home the idle was dropping then boucing back up every 3 or so seconds. Iv had this car 1 day! please dont say its sumit expensive!

Any help would be greatful. Because i havn't got a clue!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
MAF (around 60-100 quid) or Coolant Sensor (?26 for the part, dunno how much for labour).

Where you get it from? If its trade, take it back!

Welcome to the world of the MK4 golf and the sole reason I would never go back to them again! My Mk3, even though 10 years old just starts and drives and never miss's a beat! Thats with 112k on the clock!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drove it just now and the idles hardly moving at all. if u drive at about 15mph n just roll along in 2nd it jumps a bit. dosnt do it all the time. Im quite good around cars so i can change sensors. Should i change both of those n see how it goes?

Thanks for replying mate i told you a little while ago u were a god! [;)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I drove it just now and the idles hardly moving at all. if u drive at about 15mph n just roll along in 2nd it jumps a bit. dosnt do it all the time. Im quite good around cars so i can change sensors. Should i change both of those n see how it goes?

Thanks for replying mate i told you a little while ago u were a god! [;)]
LOL. You can clean the MAF's, theres a guide on here somewhere to do it. As for the coolant sensor, aint got a clue. Didnt come and pick my car up yesterday did you!? 1.8T sold yesterday! It had the coolant sensor problem, which is a common problem, and will do what yours is doing.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NOT IF IT KEEPS GOING WRONG! lol

Do you remmber me posting in the what to expect in a 1.8t for 5k? i looked for about a month finaly got one i liked n its dying on me the first day lol. I said your a god and we should bow down to you and you fort i was being sarcastic lol. Anyway im gunna clean my MAF 2moz and if that dosnt help il order a coolant temp sensor valve. If it dosnt work il blame you and cry!

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
LOL, no its not the car I sold.

I remember! As for the coolant sensor, would go down the MAF route first. Coolant sensor is more a startup from cold thing.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Aside from the 2 suggestions Graham's made, you could also try cleaning your throttle body with brake / carb cleaner. Dirty ones give the car symptoms like you're experiencing :eek:/ You could also just unplug your MAF to see if it's any different, if it stays the same your MAF is probably dead

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a quick look into cleaning the TB. Am i right in thinking you need vag com to re-align? cos i dont have it. How much is it? im very good with comps if it helps?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Other common fault would be a coilpack failing and so missfiring, though if you are handy round cars you'd probably realise if it was only running on 3 cylinders.

Reading your header though it does sound like a TB issue. Best bet would be to have it scanned first, and take it from there.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thank you for the info. Im good at fixing things on cars as in D.I.Y car projects but im only 19 and have gone from a 1.2 98 10bhp corsa to a 1.8 T 150bhp golf after only a year of driving. So im still not used to the driving smoothness and ease or being pinned to the back of my seat [:D].

Have been taking it slowley tho. Dont wanna crash, i like it to much!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like the same symptoms Im having. When it went into JBS for a service they said it was throttle body. They also said it couldnt be re-aligned. This means I have to get another, brand new throttle body!

Hope yours isnt as bad!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi,. being a 2001 your car is most likely to have the AUM Drive by wire (DBW) engine , (basically if the throttle body doesnt have a cable to operate it) this will need VAG-COM to properly reset the throttle after cleaning.

I would definately try another coolant temp sensor i just did mine,.a 2 minute job and cost me 27 quid. (cured my surging probs when going on the power in 1st and 2nd)

Also as above,. get some electrical contact cleaner spray ( ideally Isopropanol spray) and clean your MAF.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I will do both of these things as soon as possible. Where can i buy a coolant temp sensor? Do you have a part code?

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
107 Posts
being a 2001 your car is most likely to have the AUM Drive by wire (DBW) engine , (basically if the throttle body doesnt have a cable to operate it) this will need VAG-COM to properly reset the throttle after cleaning.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I have the same problem on an AGU. If I have a go at cleaning my throttle body does it not need re-aligning with VAG-COM?

·
Registered
107 Posts
being a 2001 your car is most likely to have the AUM Drive by wire (DBW) engine , (basically if the throttle body doesnt have a cable to operate it) this will need VAG-COM to properly reset the throttle after cleaning.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I have the same problem on an AGU. If I have a go at cleaning my throttle body does it not need re-aligning with VAG-COM?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts