Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted my set yesterday and they look really good but I need to ask if anyone has had any rubbing issues? I could smell rubber after a 10 min drive!!!??? I think I may have to raise the front a tiny bit to counter this...has anyone had any issues with them etc??

Cheers

·
Registered
64 Posts
i just fitted a pair very similar to jom and my tyre was touching the coils but a 5mm spacer has sorted it could of even used a 3mm :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I am thinkin a spacer is needed then...where do I get them? how much are they and I take it I need 4? ta [:)]

·
Diesel & RX8 Fanboy
9,407 Posts
You can get a set of 5mm from most car bassed shops for like ?15 with a multi fitment.

I'd definatly suggest going for a proper hubcentric set and space it all out to look even. I ended up with 12mm on the from and 20mm on the back (depends on your wheel fitment though).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so it appears that the coillies have settled? and they are rubbing really bad when turning I am going to raise them slightly (is this hard to do?) and will look for spacers at weekend? is there anything I need to look for specifically with the spacers or are they generic for the MK4?

·
Diesel & RX8 Fanboy
9,407 Posts
It depends, what's been rubbing and where? If it's the springs on the back of the tyres then spacer will fix it. If it's the ARB on the drive shaft then you'll need to raise or replace it. Only reason I suggest the springs is because you said you could smell rubber, maybe the tyre is rubbing on the arch?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
judging by the noise its making I am going to say its the worse case scenario and its the ARB which should be solved by me turning the coils a click or 2?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no not being very technical I dont know what to look for! I thinks its an ARB issue because you cant lower the mk4 GTI more than 40mm on a standard ARB if I am correct? and it looks alot lower than 40mm!! its looks really good but is almost undriveable! I think I will have to take the wheels off and raise it a bit [6]

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right it turns out it was the tyre scraping the spring! so I have fitted 5mm spacers which has resolved that (just!) on full lock there is a scrape which I think is the ARB...the coil overs are a little bit knocky but seem pretty good for sub £200! LOL still laughing at shaft!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts