Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, ive finally managed to acquire my `replacement` drivers side xenon light unit, i bought a `replacement` passenger side one a few months ago, i say replacement as they are damaged , thats how i wanted them!, ive already got a set of xenons on the car at the moment, but have been thinking for a long time how nice it would be to have an anni style oem xenon unit, as i think theres too much silver in the headlamp, ive managed to get the glass out of one of the lamps and found out how to dismantle the reflectors and indicator unit, aslo binning the `orange` reflector, the indicators look so much better `clear` compared to the twin orange of the standard unit, now i,m not too sure what will look nice when it comes to spraying the inerds satin black, obviously i,ll spray the bezel satin black and the shiney body of the light units satin black as well, but should i :

a: mask the xenon reflector so that it will look the same size as the main beam reflector when its sprayed?

b:not spray the xenon reflector at all thus keeping the sizes of the reflectors the same?

or c: follow the example of `paik` from the vw vortex forum, ?, below is a picture of his headlight unit?

your views would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

by the way if one of you fine people could photoshop the top two choices above , id love to see it!!.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks!

Zak[:D]

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,450 Posts
Great idea [:D]

But that is one coincidence --- I'm doing this as my next little headlight project. (sorry about that, but great minds etc [:p]). Just sourcing the xenon units/ components now. I will either transfer the xenon projector and surround over to my existing black headlights or paint up the OEM units themselves. I will be using my existing Hella ballasts though, so will have to be a little creative.

I was thinking the same about whether to paint the silver area around the projector lens black (as paik) or keep it silver to match the size of the mainbeam reflector. Can you not just paint up the main body black (leaving the whole projector silver) and refit to see what it looks like. Then, if you think 'paiks' version would look better - spray up the rest of the projector housing. --- That's what I had in mind.

Couple of questions - does the silver cone that surrounds the projector lens separate from the rest of the inside of the headlight unit (will make it easier to paint up as a separate item when deciding on the appearance you're after).

How did you find separating the OEM xenon glass, supposed to be pretty difficult with the adhesive use over here (as opposed to those in the States) -- I was just going to bust the glass and transfer over a new one from my existing headlights which should come off easy.

Anyway - good luck, I think its a great idea.

(I would keep the twin amber indicators though - although have not had the opportunity to see them both as clear lenses on the xenons)

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple of questions - does the silver cone that surrounds the projector lens separate from the rest of the inside of the headlight unit (will make it easier to paint up as a separate item when deciding on the appearance you're after).

How did you find separating the OEM xenon glass, supposed to be pretty difficult with the adhesive use over here (as opposed to those in the States) -- I was just going to bust the glass and transfer over a new one from my existing headlights which should come off easy.

(I would keep the twin amber indicators though - although have not had the opportunity to see them both as clear lenses on the xenons)
Hi Mate!!, mmm great minds do think alike!!!!!!! to answer your questions, the silver cone that surrounds the projector does come off , it just has two clips ,one on either end, but you have to remove the whole light assembly before you can undo the clips, easy enough when you seperate the glass from the headlamp!!, and to get the glass off i tried to use a bonded windscreen removal tool but to no avail!![:(], in the end i dremeled the edge of the lip where the headlamp glass is bonded to and then removed the glass complete, the adhesive is too strong!, to transfer the inside parts , i,ll have to smash the glass on my xenons when ive decided on what i,ll do, thats why i needed to take the glass off the replacement units, i,ll take a picture of the twin indicators with out the amber reflector to intice you!, what do you think about the indicator lense sprayed with a smoke finish?

Zak

·
1,450 Posts
Cheers for the info Zak -- glad the cone comes out separately as this gives me more options. Keep us updated. Looks like you're going to beat me on the finish to this one though.

Not sure about twin smoked indicators as whilst this sounds like it would look OK it will leave the middle section of the headlight looking too bland IMO. You need something going on in the mid section to balance the looks. Either amber or clear should look better.

·
1,450 Posts
Zak -- sent you a PM on your build [;)]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts

Hi Mate!!, mmm great minds do think alike!!!!!!! to answer your questions, the silver cone that surrounds the projector does come off , it just has two clips ,one on either end, but you have to remove the whole light assembly before you can undo the clips, easy enough when you seperate the glass from the headlamp!!, and to get the glass off i tried to use a bonded windscreen removal tool but to no avail!![:(], in the end i dremeled the edge of the lip where the headlamp glass is bonded to and then removed the glass complete, the adhesive is too strong!, to transfer the inside parts , i,ll have to smash the glass on my xenons when ive decided on what i,ll do, thats why i needed to take the glass off the replacement units, i,ll take a picture of the twin indicators with out the amber reflector to intice you!, what do you think about the indicator lense sprayed with a smoke finish?

Zak
Zak speak to Jimmy (Golf V5) he did the orignal angel eyes. The guy been through the same process of taking them apart. Great mod. Do them like 'paik` from the vw vortex forum

Zak can you fit the internal from a Xenon like in a non Xenon light?

I've drop you a PM

·
1,450 Posts
'Zak can you fit the internal from a Xenon like in a non Xenon light?'

-- Shouldn't think you will be able to transfer the whole of the xenon internals to a OEM reflector based headlight as apart from the need to wire up ballasts and associated wiring etc. - there would be no room for the xenon projector/HID bulb & high tension D plug connection. However, if you had an aftermarket headlight with a halogen projector, in theory you probably could mod the headlight to accept the golf xenon projector and then connect these up to some remote ballasts.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
These look awesome:

Posted Image

I guess you could achieve a similar look by retrofitting a xenon kit to these projector headlamps:

Posted Image

The angel eye ring and the surround around the projector lets them down a little though.

I suppose it could be an option for someone who doesn't want the risk/hassle of smashing/painting OEM xenons.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm slightly confused as to what you are trying to achieve..

Something like this?
Posted Image
Thanks for the piccy!, i now have an idea what the twin indictaors in clear look like, would you be able to photoshop the xenon projector so that its diameter is the same as the high beam reflector?, and another where the xenon projectors silver frame is left in the silver finish but the rest of the headlamp is like the anni headlamp picture above please?.

Thanks

Zak

·
1,450 Posts
Zak

The 'silver bowl' and clear indicators do look good. The twin indicator amber lens can be taken out from the back, so you could change that around again (if need be) once the front on the glass has been fixed back on. Its just gonna be deciding on whether to paint up the whole of the projector cone section as a final decision.

Sem posted up a pic of the depo/FK headlights - I have these on already with a twin indicator / HID mod, so may just transfer over the golf xenon projector/cone. Will get an improved light output and also a better appearance. http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/462557/ShowPost.aspx

Thats a great looking colour on Paik's car[H]

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Pat, so what pic would you prefer?, the full silver bowl one or the silver bowl sprayed in the same diamter as the high beam reflector?, also i read your thread on the modded depo angel eyes and have to say it looks wicked!!!, if i didnt have xenons, this is the route id go, was it easier to remove the headlight glass form the depo units?, also what and where did you get the orange lense paint?.also what paint did you use, i,m thinking of using the plastic paint from B & Q , it dosnt need any primer.

Thanks

Zak

·
1,450 Posts
Hi Pat, so what pic would you prefer?, the full silver bowl one or the silver bowl sprayed in the same diamter as the high beam reflector?, also i read your thread on the modded depo angel eyes and have to say it looks wicked!!!, if i didnt have xenons, this is the route id go, was it easier to remove the headlight glass form the depo units?, also what and where did you get the orange lense paint?.also what paint did you use, i,m thinking of using the plastic paint from B & Q , it dosnt need any primer.

Thanks

Zak
I would say that if you are going to have 'clear' twin indicator lenses - then go with the complete projector bowl left silver. (at least this look would be a one off)

If you are going to have the twin amber lenses - then paint the projector bowl black (like paiks) -- just my opinion.

I did not have to remove the headlight glass on the Depo units as the indicator/fog lights could be removed from the back. However, if I fit the golf xenon projector/bowl I will need to remove the glass - but I know this will come off fairly easy with a little heat. (hot air gun / or you can strip them down and heat them in an oven - this softens the glue!).

As for the indicator lens coating - I used translucent acrylic/glass paint (this worked really well as its only a small surface). Managed to obtain a set of different colours FOC. These are sold in craft/artist shops and such like - or pick up on the web.

The only part of the headlight I had to spray up black was the 'aluminum adapter rings'. These were needed to make the indicator opening in the Depo headlights smaller so as to accept the different sized golf OEM indicator units ---- needed to etch prime these as they are aluminum and then sprayed matt black.

When you spray up your xenons black - the satin black 'plastic paint' should do the job after 600 grade. -- Why don't you check with the other guy (sorry can't remember his name but the threads in the lighting section) on this forum that did the 'joey anni' mod -- and ask what type of paint/primer he used and whether this is still holding up OK.

Get spraying man [;)]

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update, i had a bit of free time yesterday, so i took the headlamp glass off the other ebay xenon that i bought, so now i have two headlamp glasses and the silver housings, i need to now speak to jimmyv5 and see what spray he used when he did the joey mod, then hopefully i can get started by smashing the glass on my xenons!, i,ll be scared to say the least as if this goes wrong i,m stuffed!, ive taken some pics of the dismantle lights and i,ll post them soon.

Thanks

P.S. anyone know how i can get hold of JIMMYV5?

·
1,450 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Zak

There was another forum member who did a joey mod and sprayed up the chrome trim.

Yep - it was 'umrelt' http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/230622/ShowPost.aspx

(looks like he used 600 wet/dry , primer & Halfords satin black) - could check with him and see if he was happy with the finish.

http://xflive.uk-mkivs.net/forums/230622/ShowPost.aspx
I did exactly what Umrelt did on my old Golf. I was very happy with the finish on mine. Unfortunately one of mine got hit by a stone within a week of doing this mod... was not happy.

As another idea, what about just doing them Anni style and just painting the surround? The backs of the anni lights are still chrome.

Also, this mod is pretty tough... It's very hard to separate the glass from the unit and also hard to remove the broken glass from the intact unit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts