Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

This is orginal topic and few fellos have helped me so i decided to write mini DIY to help others.

Due of some bubbles on my chrome i have to do this:

Posted Image

Bubbles on both headlight, i dont know why. Maybe because my left side leveling motor have burn too. My internal wirings is also a mess. Im thinking to make new ones.

Levelling motor:

Posted Image

1. Remove front bumper

2. Unsrew 4x torx to release headlight,2 upp and 2 down.

3.Remove all bulbs and Brake the glass!

I used hammer. First i used knife and hammer, but i broke knife´s blade. Glass is very very hard to brake. It took 15-20min hitting to broke/one headlight.

Posted Image

I also used cartong box. beware of glass, wear decent gloves and eye protectors!!!!!

Posted Image

4. Remove rest of glass by hands (Gloves!!!) and try to pry those with screwdriver

5. Remove all silicone on cover.

Now it should look like this:

Posted Image

6. Unscrew upper manual adjusters

7. Unscrew 2 srcrews that holds levelling motor (look the video, on backside.)

Posted Image

8.Remove this part, it is on front and around headlight (sorry my english ends here :D)

Posted Image

9.Remove these from around of lens. On back side is 2 pins that have to push. Release first that what is closer to center.

Posted Image

10. Remove blinkers orange cover by pushing 3 clips on backside.

11. Remove outer part from blinkers orange cover.

12.Remove lens reflector

Posted Image

13. Remove lens.

Posted Image

14. Protect all parts that you dont want to paint!

15. Sand #600 sandpaper so the chrome is gone.

16. Paint, use extra thin layers. (i used heatproof mattblack) and give it dry about 2h between layers. I painted 8 layers to lens covers. Other parts 3 layers.

17. Install the levelling motor and xenonbulb connector first!!!

18. Install rest of parts reverse order.

Grab beers and enjoy

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/MTBEV6/IMG_0657.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/MTBEV6/IMG_0684.jpg

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes those are oem... Where i can get new glasses? In here (Finland) isnt any supplier...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You'll have to get hold of a second set of lights and cut the plastic off the glass. Think you can use standard GTi lights (genuine) as a donor item.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have second set on my home but those are hella`s V-wannabes. Can i use depo/FK glasses? I found some in ebay.co.uk (spare glasses)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
That looks like something has got too hot, to make the silver covering bubble.

Smashing the glass is the only way to get it off. Either buy some oem standard headlight on cut all the back off till you have just the glass left, or buy some depo style headlights, they come apart easier in the oven.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, but on both xenons??!! Maybe i have wrong bulbs or something? You never know when buying on ebay

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
looks like someone may have run them with overated (higher than 35W) ballasts to get more light output. I think it would be unusual in normal applications. unless someone else knows any different?

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
That looks like something has got too hot, to make the silver covering bubble.

Smashing the glass is the only way to get it off. Either buy some oem standard headlight on cut all the back off till you have just the glass left, or buy some depo style headlights, they come apart easier in the oven.
x2

the glass is lethal, so wear decent glove when breaking and cleaning the glass out.

My only regret is not using better glass on mine. That something I'm going to do this year, replace the glass

·
Registered
988 Posts
could this be due to moisture getting into the light and bubbling it? seems odd though especially on oem xenons.

mtbe, have you ever noticed any moisture (water droplets) on the inside of the glass?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nobe, no water or nothing moisture. The weirdest thing is both and same time!!! I changed alternator, could it give too much voltage or something? BTW this is car with oem halogen and changed with kufatecs adapter to xenon. Is it some how possible it gives more juice on lights, even my bulbs are fogged...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have Kufatec adapters on mine and dont have any problems with them.

Does seem strange, as if it was moisture in the light it would just evaporate. That looks like the plastic has melted.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is only fault that i found...It is inside leveling motor:

Posted Image

Otherone is ok.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Other weird thing is that vw says it cannot be change (leveling motor). It is about 15min job to change. Bosch Control, headlight aiming

Part Number: 0 307 853 304/ 1j0 941 295A, if some needs on future.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What i the best way to broke the glass? Hit the screwdriver through? And what it the best way to sanding those? how about paint? Spray can?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh my god this glass was thick!!!! It took 15min to hit with!!

Posted Image

upper adjusting mounting point. it is clips that holding it on.

If someone needs it in future

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 79 Posts