Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm seriously interested in the Jetta with the GTI's engine - works out about ?1,500 cheaper and I'm kind of keen on the Q-car aspect.

So, one trip to my local dealer yesterday reveals:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Sorry for the quality of the pics, but my camera was on the wrong mode -- not that the rear clusters are dual-colour leds, ala the Passat).

Apparently the models intended for showroom display have been delivered to dealers, but they've been told not to put them out until around April.

^^^

Discussion with another dealer this weekend suggests that this is compltely wrong. Some dealers have them on display already and they are supposed to be available in "a couple of weeks"

They'll take orders just now, of course.

Deek.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Not bad but I still prefer the Passat (if I was looking for a saloon). Nice to see yet another model in the line up get LED rear lights while the Golf goes begging.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I used to really dislike the Jetta... but it's increasingly grown on
me, and when I saw one in the dealers the other day I really did have
to admit it's a lovely looking car.

Is our 2.0T Sport the same as the American GLI except without the GTI
front? To be honest I prefer the look of the "Sport" Jetta over the GLI
anyway...

My man in VW says that the "official" release for the Jetta is 12th February.

And as for the LED lights... why hasn't Hella at least released
OEM-style LED lamps for the Golf (a la the Golf Plus, Jetta,
Passat...)?! You'd think that moving into 2006 VW would update the
cars... ah well, maybe they'll appear on 2007-spec Golfs and we'll be
able to order them...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I really like the chrome double fin grill, and i've always had a soft spot for the "booted", my first car was a 1990 Jetta 1.6!!!
With that grill, you might mistake it for a Mk5 R32 coming up behind you! [:D]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I really like the
chrome double fin grill, and i've always had a soft spot for the
"booted", my first car was a 1990 Jetta 1.6!!!
With that grill, you might mistake it for a Mk5 R32 coming up behind you! [:D]
I was about to say exactly the same thing!

Looks like a damn R32!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Apparently the models intended for showroom display have been delivered to dealers, but they've been told not to put them out until around April.

They'll take orders just now, of course.
What on earth are the dealers going to do with a car that can't be displayed for 3 months?! Its just gonna sit around for that time? That's one demo car I would not like to buy.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Des Winks in Scarborough had them in the showroom and on the forecourt, with the back of the showroom covered in posters etc. last Saturday. Their fax must have gone astray!

Looks very nice, but it's still a Golf for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
well my local dealer has a jetta in the showroom and one outside on test, already said i can have it for the day to test drive, so not so sure if your dealer is telling the truth?

·
Registered
690 Posts
My VW dealer here in Luxembourg has had the Jetta for a few months already. There are a couple in the showroom, a test car (which I had for a weekend while mine was repaired) and a couple more which I guess are staff cars.

Overall it's pretty much the same driving experience as the Golf, same interior, same front (albeit with a R32 touch), and Passat-ish rear. Must say it looks good, but perhaps a little too long?

Still, I think looks-wise I prefer the Bora, purely because it had individual styling front and rear. The Jetta shares the Golf front end, so I would always feel like driving a poor man's Passat that bought the cheaper booted Golf - the Bora is feels more like a whole different model, and not the cousin of another model.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Right, got the correct info straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I was at a party last night and my wife's friend's husband works in VW customer services in MK. I asked him what was happening and he said launch of the Jetta was definately in Feb this year, and that it was the new Eos which was delayed to about june.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the front valence based on the Gti with the chrome grill ? Be interested to know if the part number is the same. or is it a new version of the non-Gti grill for 07 golfs ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts