Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lent this on DVD, haven't had time to watch it yet but checked out a trailer on-line... Hmm, cheesy American Voiceover Man again [:cool:] Put me off already.

Might watch it this weekend. Apparently it's got a story [:O]

Anyone else seen it yet?

·
Registered
924 Posts
seen it the ordinary chinese version..no dubbing! its a great film and a true story, sadly that is jet li's last film.

will

·
Registered
602 Posts
seen it the ordinary chinese version..no dubbing! its a great film and a true story, sadly that is jet li's last film.

will
I saw this version too but with subtitles so you could tell whats going on.

Ace film and some quality fight scenes as expected.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Got it on VCD whilst I was over in HK. Quite a good film and certainly way better than most of his American output (but I blame the scripts/studios for this). Its good to see Li back to his Once Upon A Time in China 'mode'. This is indeed based on a true life chinese hero but obviously because its a film, they've exagerated a lot of it, so much so that the descendents to the real life person sued the film company for fabricating parts of his life. Its a good film, and it reminds me of a certain Hollywood film(though I wont mention it, cos if I do, it will give the plot away!)

Actually I watched it dubbed too, in catonoese, but the soundtrack should be Mandarin.

Shiuming, if you want, can lend you the mandarin/cantonese version next time we meet.

PS This isnt Jet Li's last film, its his last 'wu shu' film so he wont be doing any more fighting. Says at 42, hes too old to do the fighting stuff (pah, never stopped Jacky!) God knows what he will do, its almost saying Arnie and Stallone not doing action. Comedy? I dread to think.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Jet li is well good but I cant watch dubbed films it completley ruins the film for me, ill have to try and watch it with subtitles instead.

His last fight film surely not! you would expect to see him kicking ass in films, he isnt that old dammit!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Jet Li is 42??!?!

Thats incredible. It's such a shame it's his last fighting film though, he is fantastic to watch in action.

Do you guys not rate Kiss of the Dragon then? I think it's one of his best.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PS This isnt Jet Li's last film, its his last 'wu shu' film so he wont be doing any more fighting. Says at 42, hes too old to do the fighting stuff (pah, never stopped Jacky!)
Yup, Jackie was 44 when he made Rush Hour 1!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Jet Li is 42??!?!

Thats incredible. It's such a shame it's his last fighting film though, he is fantastic to watch in action.

Do you guys not rate Kiss of the Dragon then? I think it's one of his best.
OK that one aside, all the rest was a bit poo poo especially The One and Unleashed. Just dont like all the fancy crap they put on top of it, much prefer the real kung fu. Makes it more realistic.

BTW, for all you kung fu mad fans, if you want to see half a decent Jackie Chan film, watch New Police Story which has Jackie in serious mode for once and is his best film in yonks (but thats not hard with things like Medallion and Tuxedo under his belt). Skip his other film The Myth, as its kinda boring and lacking in fighting and story.

OH and if you really want to see a violent kung fu film search for a little known chinese film called SPL (Sha Po Long) which stars Samo Hung (of Martial Law fame and Jackie's buddy) as a triad boss up against Donnie Yen (very underrated martial artist famous for Iron Monkey and in Blade 2, and Hero). Now thats what I call a fight scene, see it and you know what I mean!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW, for all you kung fu mad fans, if you want to see half a decent Jackie Chan film, watch New Police Story which has Jackie in serious mode for once and is his best film in yonks (but thats not hard with things like Medallion and Tuxedo under his belt). Skip his other film The Myth, as its kinda boring and lacking in fighting and story.
I borrowed New Police Story, good stuff, love the fight scene in the Lego section of a department store! He runs out of the scene then comes back to put the head back on the Lego man - vintage Chan! [Y]

Still can't beat the oldies though, I just got Wheels on Meals on HKL DVD, love everything about that film, the fast food van (Cocina Para Todos [:p]), Mitsubishi of course, Jackie and Yuen Biao sparring at the beginning (jeez, the timing in that sequence...), Jackie vs Benny Urquidez, awesome [Y] Also Lola Forner [:O]

OH and if you really want to see a violent kung fu film search for a little known chinese film called SPL (Sha Po Long) which stars Samo Hung (of Martial Law fame and Jackie's buddy) as a triad boss up against Donnie Yen (very underrated martial artist famous for Iron Monkey and in Blade 2, and Hero). Now thats what I call a fight scene, see it and you know what I mean!
Saw that a few weeks ago, Samo's still got the moves. Donnie is fast and proper bad-ass.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
What do you guys think of Oni Bak. the geezers name is tony jaa. I swear hes only 22 or something!! quality film again dubbing spoils it. The voice overs sound like their from South London!! LOL

Carl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts