Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much searching I finally found a place to remove my double din VW Delta stereo. Bought a connector so the VW nlock can connect to the block on my Pioneer stereo. When I connected my head unit I could only turn the stereo on using the source control. Ignition position didn't have any effect. Switched the permanent live and switch live and still the same. So I took the block out to chekck with a multi meter. The permanent live was reading fine then it just went dead. My phone kit is tapped into the cables just before the VW connector block and this is dead too. So any clues as to what's going on? Have I blown a fuse somewhere or something? I need to get this sorted soon or I'm going to set fire to the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You have probably blown the fuse for the radio like you say. It is located in the main fuse box, which is (assuming its a golf you've got!) located on the drivers side end of the dashboard, under a pop-off cover. Its the bit of the dashboard normally covered by the closed door, if that makes any sense!

I think its fuse number 42, and it has a rating of 25A, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!

Once youve replaced the fuse, confirm that you have a perminant live again, then check that you have a switch live also. Once you know for sure which one is which, and that they both work, match them up with the radio's harness as per the instruction manual, and all should be well!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Andy. Yeah it's a golf. I typed the message and then when I clicked post it got lost and had to do it again. I took a look at the fuse card in fuse panel but it didn't have a stereo symbol. I'll check the fuse you mentioned and failing that I'll test them all. I switched the p live and switch live before it blew and it didn't seem to make any difference. Sure I'll just try again. I was just afraid of draining the battery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just another thought..... on the harness that came with the head unit, there isnt a bullet connector type thing which allows both the perminant live and the switched live inputs of the unit to be connected to just the perminant live of the car is there?!
Its usually there so that the stereo can bne used in cars without a swicthed feed behind the radio.

Which Pioneer unit is it!? If your still having problems I could try and find a wiring diagram (or hope that its the same as mine!)

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
You've possibly got the red and yellow both going to permanent live? If you've plugged your Pioneer loom straight into your cars loom,you could also be putting permanent live from one of the two red/white wires back up the blue/white remote switched output wire.You need to to cut either the red/white or blue/white to isolate it if this is the case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the DEH-P7700MP.

I had it in a polo before and never had any problems. I had to get an adapter to connect the pioneer loom to the VW one and I thought maybe this has the switch and perm fed together. I don't think the blue/white live is the problem as that's connected to the sub in the boot.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Can you possibly show us  photo of what you've done? Preferably NOT from a cameraphone though,you'd be better of using crayons that have just come out of the oven.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fuse had blown, I've replaced it. Now I'm still getting the live problems. In the picture I have marked a few parts.

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/8243/img68642ih.jpg

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/9000/img68636ng.jpg

A: is a brown cable and I think it's the ground. It already had the black ground cable for a nokia car kit connected to it when I bought the car. B: I presume is the permanent live, it had the live cable for the car kit connected to it. I connected my ipod adapter to these cables. I disconnected it to make sure that wasn't causing a problem. C: is what I think should be the switch live. When I trace the path of both these cables through all the different connectors and looms they lead to the swith live and p live on the pioneer block. I have tested both A and B and they both give me 12v regardless of the ignition position. In the right of the picture you can see two brown wires in the connector block below the lives, one of these has a voltage of 5v, again regardless of ignition position. At the moment I have the block disconnected from the stereo, the last thing I want is a dead battery in the morning. So any ideas what the problem is? Did my original Stereo have some other way of sensing ignition position?Should I just try and find a switch live from somewhere else in the car and connect to this?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
B is more likely to be the switched live. In the car kits ive seen the power has always gone off with the key. Dont forget when you check it though that the power doesnt go off until you take the key out!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with mattmatt in that B is more likely to be the swicthed live. Depends on what type of car kit your have (bluetooth or just normal cradle) but they are usually swicthed with the ignition.

You say have have tested A and B, and they both give perminant 12v? A is your earth like you say, so hopefully you means you've tested BETWEEN A and B! Or else youve got 12V down your earth :s

Have you tried testing between A and C? What does that give you??

If you do end up going bringing in another swicthed live from elsewhere, the easiest place i've found without cutting into other wiring is as follows (assuming you have a MK4 golf!):

Above drivers footwell (in the area above the brake/accelerator pedals) there is a kind of bus-bar type thing. (Bar with connection terminal on it, with screw-down connections.) You need to remove the under-dash trim to see it, but there is 2-3 perminant lives, a swicthed one and an earth.
I think the swicthed one is the 3rd from left if I remember rightly, but do test them all first!! You can just make up a cable with a ring-end on it, bolt it to the existing connection post, and run it up to your radio pretty easily.

Hope this helps.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
The two thick RED/WHITES are the permanent lives,and as you correctly say the BROWN is the earth,the two twisted ORANGE wires are CAN-BUS that carry a digital signal telling the radio when to switch on and off.You don't have a conventional switched live (0 volts going to 12 volts) like there is on Mk.4s etc.at the back of the radio.You will probably be able to pick one up,either at the fusebox or relay rack,but unles you really know what you're doing,it's probably best left to an expert.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
ooooohhh yeh!!! Didnt realise the mk4 came with canbus on the stereo. In that case you wont get a switchable off the plug.

Took me ages to work this out with a mercedes, obviously didnt sink in lol! [:$]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for the all the information. Looks like I'll get the switch live from the busbar Andy mentioned and run it up to the stereo from there, then connect it straight to the ACC connection on the Pioneer loom as this has connectors that seperate pretty easily. Hopefully get that done tonight and then that leaves me to get the din pocket from a breakers. Main dealer wants ?42 for the original part. Spurious one is cheaper but I want it to look good in the end. Have to finish wiring the ipod adapter now so I can keep the ipod out of site. Rear cup holder is bust so I'm going to see if I can take the main part out and then use that to keep the ipod in. Thought about putting it in the arm rest but figure that's a likely place for thieves to look if they break into the car.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've got the VW din pocket sat here from when i put my navi in. dont want anythin for it.....??? I take it you're in ireland if you're talking euros??

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
As a matter of interest Lebowski,what year is your car?I'm assuming it's a very late Mk.4 if it's got the Mk.5 style of connector,I've actually not seen this in a Mk.4 either.

Veedub have done this before on the later Mk.2 Golfs,the first ones had the Philips style connectors,and then towards the end of making them they switched over to ISOs in readiness for the Mk.3s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a 2003 model. Registered in March of that year I think. Pain in the ass having this kind of a setup in my opinion. Hopefully I'll have it sorted soon enough.

I'll take that pocket off your hands mattmatt if your interested. Did you say you don't want anything for it? Did I read that right? Let me know if you can post it over and I can sort out whatever it costs you. If that's cool.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yup its only sat here doing nothing so you can have it. Where abouts do you live roughly and i'll work out what postage will be.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in Dublin Ireland. Shipping is probably the same to anywhere over here though. What's the best way to get the postage to you? If you have paypal I can send it to you or if not I can send cash or something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts