Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... a few degrees make, doing the same run to work the last few days during warmer weather, the fuel consumption has risen from 31 to 34 mpg in the morning and going home last night 27 degrees I managed 39 mpg over 11 miles.

No rude comments from the Diesel Boys and Girls please.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just wondering what speeds you get those MPG's at in the GTI?

You see, since I had my TDI remapped if I do anything about about 75 im lucky to get 41mpg. Stick to 70 and I can get 45. My thinking is that thats not a million miles away from GTI territory so the switch back to petrol wouldnt cost me as much as I think.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wondering what speeds you get those MPG's at in the GTI?

You see, since I had my TDI remapped if I do anything about about 75 im lucky to get 41mpg. Stick to 70 and I can get 45. My thinking is that thats not a million miles away from GTI territory so the switch back to petrol wouldnt cost me as much as I think.
Cruise control set to 75 MPH in both examples, 80 MPH this morning I saw 33 mpg on the same route.

I think most of the improvement is down to the cold start coming off much sooner.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You see, since I had my TDI remapped if I do anything about about 75 im lucky to get 41mpg. Stick to 70 and I can get 45.
Really, that is not very good - what were you getting pre the remap?

I get more than 45mpg in my 1.6FSI petrol sticking to 70mph. I'm sure it would get way worse than this at much higher speeds but I never drive like that.

What do you get around town?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The remap has cost me maybe 3-4mpg. One of the problems I have is that my route to work is predominantly up a gradual incline, on a flat route I can average about 45mpg at 80. Thats why im tempted to ask if I can have a test drive in a GTI and do my 30 mile run to work and just see what it averages. But another consideration is that Optimax is still dearer than diesel.

The 1.6 can give good mpg but then my TDI probably has about 80bhp more. I tihnk the 1.6 is 105bhp or something like that. Around town I tend to average about 42-43mpg on a run that actually lets the MFD make a reasonable calculation.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The 1.6 can give good mpg but then my TDI probably has about 80bhp more. I tihnk the 1.6 is 105bhp or something like that. Around town I tend to average about 42-43mpg on a run that actually lets the MFD make a reasonable calculation.
I expected the TDI to get more than 50mpg on a gentle run at 70mph. Uphill would make a difference I suppose. VW quote 58.9mpg for the 2.0TDI for extra-urban, what speed is that at?. Also, a lot of re-map companies claim they can actually improve your mpg, I've always been sceptical of this personally.

115bhp for the 1.6FSI [;)], still a very long way behind your TDI which no doubt can really shift.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think if you ran standard wheels and cruised at a constant 52mph you could probably nudge the low 50's. I know Foxy gets similar mpg to me and his wheels and remap are the same size and remapper as mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure if it's the warm weather or light mornings (no headlights) but I saw a jump from 58ish to 64.2mpg on my regular 90 mile extra urban journey this morning. I wasn't trying either, just driving with the traffic as normal at an average speed of 51mph. Pretty amazing for such a rapid car I think you'll agree.

·
Registered
131 Posts
But another consideration is that Optimax is still dearer than diesel.
Not near me it aint! Diesel just went up to.....wait for it....an astonishing 99.9p!

Optimax still around 95.5/97.5p

But then work pay for all my fuel bills, every single last mile.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Not sure if it's the warm weather or light mornings (no headlights) but I saw a jump from 58ish to 64.2mpg on my regular 90 mile extra urban journey this morning. I wasn't trying either, just driving with the traffic as normal at an average speed of 51mph. Pretty amazing for such a rapid car I think you'll agree.
...hummph...

I tried driving the full route to work today and keeping it in 5th to see if it made any difference. The theory being that although the revs would be higer, the engine would be working less. Kept it to around 80mph and just under 3000rpm and it averaged at 43.5mph across the 30 mile trip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
...hummph...

I tried driving the full route to work today and keeping it in 5th to see if it made any difference. The theory being that although the revs would be higer, the engine would be working less. Kept it to around 80mph and just under 3000rpm and it averaged at 43.5mph across the 30 mile trip.
I'd definitely be getting mid 50s mpg at those sort of speeds. Ive had the 1st oil change today so I'm hoping that will improve things further. I'm pretty sure that the MFD is reading correct as it tallies with what I put in the tank. Putting the standard wheels back on for winter also made no difference, even fitted with the Michelin Energys, but this warm weather has given me 10% more to the gallon I reckon.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you are really fussed about mpg then dont change to the GTi. My previous car was very similar spec to yours - A3 2.0tdi sport, remapped by S/C, full miltek. On my short commute to work I averaged 38 mpg as the car never really got warm (3.5 miles) on longer journeys I mirrored your consumption of around 42/43 as on the motorway I tend to stick to @ 85mph. The actual difference for me from the 2.0tdi to the GTi is about 12 mpg. Not a great deal but this still equates to about 140 miles per tank. Granted the GTI can be fairly frugal but is very right foot dependant. The GTi is and feels a lot quicker in every respect but I find that I drive it more carefully being an ex diesel owner as I am aware of the fuel consumption, in my TDi I gave it a lot more stick. I have no regrets for changing as I bought into the whole GTi image thing but would I do so again with the benefit of hindsight, Mmmmmm[^o)] ??

I only cover about 7.5K per year so the cost isn't massive but I now fill up fortnightly as opposed to monthly and have to travel 16 miles return for my optimax, on a plus side the car sounds fantastic and I do not miss the rattle of the diesel in the morning.

I would say arrange a long test drive unaccompanied on familar roads and see if you think the extra ooomph and image are worth the extra trips to the pumps although it sounds to me like you have already decided [;)]

Not trying to put you off just give you an informed opinion.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
But another consideration is that Optimax is still dearer than diesel.
Not near me it aint! Diesel just went up to.....wait for it....an astonishing 99.9p!

Optimax still around 95.5/97.5p

But then work pay for all my fuel bills, every single last mile.
Just checked my local shell, Diesel is 98.9ppl (and that the normal stuff not the extra). I noticed the other day that they've stopped doing the diesel extra, stuck some brown tape over the extra signs and are charging 1p more. Call me cynical but I suspect that the garage owner has decided to stock the normal diesel as opposed to the extra because they can buy it cheaper but charge the same price.

Optimax was, wait for it ?1.03pl !!

I'll tell you, before too long I might be looking at that red diesel thingy and just never have my car serviced again!!![;)]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Granted the GTI can be fairly frugal but is very right foot dependant. The GTi is and feels a lot quicker in every respect but I find that I drive it more carefully being an ex diesel owner as I am aware of the fuel consumption, in my TDi I gave it a lot more stick. I have no regrets for changing as I bought into the whole GTi image thing but would I do so again with the benefit of hindsight, Mmmmmm[^o)] ??
I feel the same had loads of fun in my last car (Passat 4-motion 19TDi) ave 42mpg, gave it loads of stick, great for 4wheel drifting on wet roundabouts! the car took loads of hammer. Now I have GTi I drive it with much more respect (for the car and road) one eye on mpg. Can't believe the change in my driving style never thought a GTi would save my driving licence

1 - 17 of 17 Posts