Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Have just bought the Jamex coilover kit (150104) off Ebay. This is a brand new kit off one of the 'power sellers' (the box had a pic of a standard style yellow front strut on it, not the stainless coilovers that were inside... but it does say sportsline! Is that the normal box for coilovers?? Slightly paranoid about it all now!....read on to find out why!!) The fronts look fine, but on opening the boxes with the rear adjusters I noticed how sloppy the threads were. The adjuster is made of two pieces of aluminium anodised blue, now the main part is completely fine and fully anodised, but the nut appears to have been anodised and the thread turned after??? There is also some swarf left in the threads of one of them!!! And the fit is crap, so crap infact that I can move the two parts a good couple of mm side to side on the threads when they are put together, Has anyone else come across this?? I'm an Engineer by trade and if I turned a thread like this it would be scrap!! The only thing I can think of is that it makes it easier to turn with the whole thing on the car,and to stop it seizing? but I'm really not convinced I should be putting the weight of my car on this!!! Wotcha reckon people, is this the norm????

Cheers

Ste

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
as far as i know mate the thread should be tight as its holding a fair bit of weight...but hope someone else who has this kit can help you and tell you more. if you email me the pics ill put them up for you dude...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for doing the pics, much appreciated!!

Ok, I've emailed the company that sold me the kit (not going to name them yet as it might not be their fault, might well be down to quality control at Jamex! Don't want to put anyone off this kit if this is a one off problem!) I've sent them the same pics as are on here with a full description of the problem, and their technical guy is having a look, and so I'm waiting for a call. I'll keep you all posted as to what happens!! In the mean time however, can anyone that's bought this kit pllleasseeee check the fit of the components before installing them on your pride and joy, as you could end up embedded in a tree if the threads let go!!!

Cheers guys!!

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, here is the latest,

The guy at the eBay shop has spoken to Jamex technical........and the result......... He reckoned that the threads on the nuts are turned after anodising, which is a bit wierd but I said ohhh k, and from the pics he thinks everything is fine!!! So I've taken the pieces to a turner friend of mine, and between us we measured them, and found that the pitching of the threads appears to be a bit off standard, but from the nearest thread data we could find, there is 0.4mm of thread engagement on each side.... This should be 1mm on a well machined thread of this size! So there is no way I'm putting the weight of the car on this, and my mate said he wouldn't even trust that kind of engagement on a pushbike never mind a car!!! The guy from the shop has agreed to send me a new pair of rear adjusters out of another kit if I send back my crap ones, but he doesn't know if they will be any different as he's not an engineer and doesn't really know what a good thread should feel like. So fingers crossed that the new ones are better, if not the whole lot is going back!!!

Cheers for reading, surely someone out there with this kit has looked at the rear adjusters before putting them on and can remember what the fit was like??? Anyone????

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Mate

I posted this thread a few weeks back, to try and help with the common Jamex problems

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/740426.aspx

I have to say thought, i did notice the box i got, was for the sportline springs and struts, weird ?? [:S]

If you check the thread above, there are a few other issues with this kit, and it may benafit you to give it a once over mate [;)]

As for the issues's you've incountered, i would of done the samething and questioned the supplyer, i did'nt notice any problems with the rear adjusting cup's, on my kit, but i did over do it on the copperslip compound, on all of the threads, for adjustment at a later date !!!

They have been on for 3/4 weeks now, no signs of dropping etc . . . . but i now feel the need to check them !

Hope it gets sorted, for you ! [;)]

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello all,

Just a final update on the coilover drama!

I eventually got a replacement set of rear adjusters from the guys that sold me the kit before Christmas. They were pretty much the same as the old ones... crap!!!! After measuring them and comparing the measurements with the old ones there was point something of a mm difference between them, so this appears to be the norm with these kits.

I was just about 2 give up and send the whole lot back and try for a refund when my friendly turner suggested he could make a pair of good fitting locknuts to sit under the sloppy fitting adjusters and take the weight instead. I said ok, and the result is I'm finally fitting the kit to my motor, fronts went on this afternoon and rears will be on in the morning (ran out of daylight.. Doh!).

So, would I buy this kit again knowing what I know now........ Nope!

I think this is a case of you get what you pay for. Since the locknut mod I think it's now a perfectly good kit, but without it (in my opinion) it's dangerous.

Steve [:^)]

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Thats not good at alll!!!, as you say how can you have confidence in the raer adjusters when the pitch of the threads is so out!, at least you got a friend to make some locknuts, but what about the other forum members or anyone for that matter who has no technical knowledge about these things?, jamex might have some legal issues here!

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I asked if Jamex had ever had any problems with them and the response I got from the supplier was that they had Spoken to Jamex about my problem and got the response that they had never had one fail, but then again I wasn't expecting them to say yes now was I......... lol

You could get the locknuts made by an engineering machine shop, but it took my mate several hours to hand fit each one (and they were different to each other) It's nearly a 2mm pitch, but not quite, and he ended up thread chasing them by hand to get the fit right! You would have to hand the adjusters over to whoever is making them to get the fit correct for your own set.

Steve

·
Registered
272 Posts
So is this part of the reason they're so cheap? I've heard that the kits are quite good but like you've said this is quite a scary thing. I'm thinking now I'll just not bother and get some new shocks to go with my H&R springs.

I'm also an engineer so I have an idea about quality etc...looks to me they don't have a quality department at Jamex!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hi Steve, I had mine fitted my Midland VW and they reported no problem with the threads. Being an engineer myself, I will be out having a very close look at mine tomorrow morning.

I will post findings on this thread.

I also find it strange to cut the thread after anodising as you are taking away the corrosion proofing of the aluminium. Make you wonder how many microns deep it is all over!

We use AA15 at work, which is only for decorative purposes, I would have thought in a thread situation you would require AA30 minimum

John

1 - 20 of 49 Posts