Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a little persuasion I'll try and keep a thread going here as well as on the Mk1 OC Forum. Anyone reading this probably already knows me from my MK4, link is in my sig.

After finally getting my Mk4 to a point where I'm happy with it as a reliable (? :lol:) daily, I decided I needed another project to properly get stuck into. My dad considered giving me his unfinished Triumph Spitfire project for my 21st, and I went to have a look at a pretty cool Mk3 classic Mini shell with a Metro Turbo swap, but in the end when I discovered my uncle was selling his Mk1 Golf I couldn't resist…

46840155684_1655d89c2d_z.jpg

The car is a 1983 1.3 Driver edition. My uncle adapted some Mk3 Recaros to fit and it was fitted with a towbar at some point but apart from that it seems to be completely stock. The plan for this is to do a full restoration - bare metal, nut and bolt rebuild. I'll hopefully be swapping in an ABF 2.0 16V and most likely running it on ITBs. Currently I'm thinking the shell will be painted in RAL5009 which is similar to VW Monaco Blue, and will run small chrome bumpers, riding on 3 piece 15" wheels. This could all change as I work on it though!

It has a few patches that need attention...

40593493893_e5e9444a7e_z.jpg

33682691998_912af61833_z.jpg

47559497611_5934b6a940_z.jpg

47506561062_7877df8413_z.jpg

..but is overall a very solid shell. Nevertheless, it'll be getting a thorough restoration. First job is stripping it down - started off with the interior. Mad quick release seat belt function, no need to undo any bolts, just pull! :lol:

40675174523_2bd930275f_z.jpg

40675163333_af3d14b576_z.jpg

Windows out so the headliner can be removed...

46928513764_3e0f15ded2_z.jpg

And interior stripped.

46928510544_e6cccb7d84_z.jpg

Next job is to disconnect the engine loom and pull the fuse box with the rest of the dash/interior loom, then it's time to pull the engine!

I've already started collecting bits, early front grill, chrome grill trim and badge, chrome waist and sill trims, and early chrome front bumper (managed to get a genuine one!).

-Jake :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Being a driver model it would have come from the factory with stripes

3 door non sunroof MK1 you've hit the jackpot! looking forward to future updates

personal view - I'd be wary of backdating the car with small bumpers, unless you go all in with small rear light panel, early dash, interior etc they always look a bit off

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stripes say its a GTi to me but the wheels dont lol not sure why they put the stripes on a 1.3
Yup, as @pistolpedro said - the driver edition had the stripes, arch spats, and a nicer interior than the rest of the non-GTIs. Basically a factory GTI replica without the badges and red grill trim :)

Being a driver model it would have come from the factory with stripes

3 door non sunroof MK1 you've hit the jackpot! looking forward to future updates

personal view - I'd be wary of backdating the car with small bumpers, unless you go all in with small rear light panel, early dash, interior etc they always look a bit off
Cheers! I'll try and keep the thread as up to dat as possible :)

I totally get what you mean about the bumpers - although the reason I'm going for the small ones is because I think the big ones cover up too much of the shape of the car, not because I want to make it look like an S1 - I feel that's almost like sticking a GTI badge on a non GTI :lol:

I know it'll probably annoy the Mk1 purists, but so will sticking a Mk3 engine in it haha.

·
"I'm not modding this one"
1,735 Posts
Glad you've put a thread on here mate.
Sod the purists, make it your own. Keeping a car completely stock and not doing what you want to do to it just to make a few extra quid at a later date is like not sleeping with your Mrs to save her for the next guy.

Make it unique and your own, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Love mk1s ????

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you've put a thread on here mate.
Sod the purists, make it your own. Keeping a car completely stock and not doing what you want to do to it just to make a few extra quid at a later date is like not sleeping with your Mrs to save her for the next guy.

Make it unique and your own, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Love mk1s ????
It's already got more interest here than I expected so I'll be trying to stick plenty of updates on :)

Good point on not keeping it stock haha, plus Mk1s are so simple it's not terribly hard to put back to stock if I ever need to sell it!

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2.0 is slow and heavy..... if you must go petrol, do 1.8t
Not Mk4 2.0, ABF from the Mk3. On throttle bodies
and decent exhaust should get about 165-170bhp which I reckon is enough for the Mk1...

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, got it first time. It's a capable engine. I like turbos tho

Great stuff anyways
Was half tempted to go for a 16vT but I reckon I'll save that for when I get bored of throttle bodies some day :lol:

Cheers!

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bought myself an engine.

£310 for an ABF block with a ported head and baffled sump. I like that :lol: Just need to sort out a gearbox, flywheel, clutch, throttle bodies, ECU, loom... Hmm.

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice find that. Has the engine proven itself previously then? Decent figures?
The guy reckoned 165 on stock induction but he never got round to finishing the car it was supposed to go in so it was never dynoed :( Apparently you can make about 190 on throttle bodies with the head work, not bad gains for a naturally aspirated engine thats 150 stock!

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
47909549791_bcc302def8_z.jpg

47909549131_0626d95431_z.jpg

Got some wheels! 15x8J Image DM - 3 piece with hidden hardware. They're 4x108 so will need the inserts machined or hubs redrilled. Also got the centre caps but didn't have them on for the pics!

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got some more bits - genuine chrome front bumper, looks like it's never even been used on a car! Got the chrome waist trims and sill trims too and the chrome grill surround.

Picked my engine up too, guy gave me a free engine stand which was kind of him :)

·
Too many projects...
661 Posts
47932397922_3f501816da_z.jpg

Taking a break from the Mk1 for a bit as I'm driving around Ireland in this with my mate Charlie, seen here broken down at the side of the road! It's a 1929 Austin 7 :)

Got some of the engine stripped down before I left - alternator, water pump, oil filter housing, etc. all removed.

47932420603_1f659a6766_z.jpg

Cams and lifters seem to look in decent condition, oil is clean too.

47932414967_09479696d1_z.jpg

A look at the head porting, looks very well done, good job around the valves as well. It was done by Dave Crissell, a well known name in the 16v head porting world!

47932418536_96813a33e1_z.jpg

Bores aren't in bad condition, a bit glazed so will be honed.

47932398077_59b00d2c35_z.jpg

Just thought this was a cool looking photo.

47932415596_1e161e76bc_z.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts