Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i just wanted to know where i can use my trolley jack on my golf turbo, in the owners manual it says that i,ll need sill adaptors, is this true?, please help.

thanks Zak

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I laways thought they were the cut out semi circles in the sill about three inches from the edge ? That's what my manual says, and i've never had any problems, when i've used my scissor jack there, my trolley jack goes further in though onto one of the main chassis members.

(Cue jokes about 'members' !)

·
Registered
287 Posts
My Jack barely fits under my car anyway, with sill adapters there's no hope. Especilly as some biff has bent my sill jacking points by jacking it up without comen sense.

Just abit further under there is a thick beam, towards the front of the car there is then a plastic drain plug type thing. Its where the beam starts to curve up towards the top of the car.

I tend to put a bit of wood here to stop the jack ridges cutting in and then jack it here. Same at the back. Then use axel stands on the thick beam.

R

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Quote: posted by R1GTI on 25/06/2004 11:01:31

My Jack barely fits under my car anyway, with sill adapters there's no hope. Especilly as some biff has bent my sill jacking points by jacking it up without comen sense.

Just abit further under there is a thick beam, towards the front of the car there is then a plastic drain plug type thing. Its where the beam starts to curve up towards the top of the car.

I tend to put a bit of wood here to stop the jack ridges cutting in and then jack it here. Same at the back. Then use axel stands on the thick beam.

R

Yep, that's exactly where I jack mine up.....i'll try and get some pics later.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm also interested in where to put a trolley jack safely, is it the same place on a TDI too? i assume the chassis will be the same regardless of what engine is in it.

Sem, pics of where to put it would be great!

·
Registered
220 Posts
i'm assuming the previous owner had a problem with this too on my car as she has jacked it up on the lip which is really soft and its been squashed all the way down!!!!!!![:(]

·
Registered
293 Posts
I drive my car onto a piece of 4"x4" which gives me enough height to get the jack under the sill and then i use my trolly jack with two bits of wood either side of the sill to spread the load and stop the sill from being squished!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Look just inboard from the sill scissor jacking point, is there not a round bulge type thing. This seems to be where tyre fitters lift the car when putting it on those low lift ramps.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys, just came back from my local stealers, and have the correct parts to allow you to use a hydraulic jack on the golf, they fitted these parts as standard to the audi tt, i,m going to fit them hopefully tomorrow, will post pics and part numbers, why didnt vw fit these parts to the car at the start????????????????

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you go to your stealer and ask for a set of jacking pads ..(thats what I called them) they are rubber pads that fit into the underside of the car and make jack a piece of.....eerrr.... urine !

As standard the holes they fit in have caps fitted into the space, but you pull those out and jack the car up with the new pads sitting over the exposed hole, they then pop ! into the hole and hey presto....easy jacking points !

Not expensive, but definately worth while.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Baron!!!, when you fitted the jack rubbers in did you put the rubber bits in first, by pushing them in with the trolley jack ,and a bit of lubrication `ooh eer missus`, then use the trolley jack to push the hard plastic piece, again with a bit of lubrication, in to the hard rubber part, until it snaps in?

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,449 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm sure these were mentioned about a year ago and there was some reason why it wasn't a good idea to use them.

I just use the thick beam at the front but its a bit more tricky at the rear.

I'd be iterested in these if people have been using them with no problems.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by GaryM on 12/07/2004 12:16:31

So these are the required part numbers?

Can anybody confirm the numbers?

4x 8N0-804-583

4x 8N0-803-855

Just ordered a set using the above part numbers;

8N0-804-583 = ?0.90 + VAT

8N0-803-855 = ?2.08 + VAT

So this works out at ?14 all in.