Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I had to get a wheel refurbed this weekend prior to sale, so R32 in the garage and I jacked her up( after undoing the bolts)

Firstly, its kind of tricky as the skirts get in the way. So I jacked it up and removed the alloy - My Dad always told me to place a wheel under the car .......just in case!!

So.....car up on Jack, I placed one of my old BMW alloys under the rear axel. I took the wheel off and was sitting with my feet under the car (I am in a garage) - Next thing, I hear a noise of tyres moving on gravel....the car came off the jack anc fell onto the wheel!!!!! If the wheel had not have been there it would have landed on my fooking feet!!!

I jacked it up again, checking how I had done it first time round and jacked it up again - I have jacked up LOTS OF CARS and never had a problem.....Again, the R32 falls off the jaqck onto the wheel! If it had not have been there I would have no feet and be buying a new brake disc - very scary moment!

The side skit means you have to have the jack at a strange angle - I know a lot of you will say "you did it wrong" - guys I didnt!!!

I now have an R32 sitting on a wheel and a slighty mangled side skirt - nice one VW. I have a mechanical background so I know what I am doing - this is just a warning, BE WARY R32 BOYS!!!!!!

My Dads lesson of always putting a wheel underneath proved to be VERY benificial yesterday, lads just be carfull - the jack doesnt work as it should!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
the jack that comes with the R32 is a joke. I usually jack it up just enough to get a trolley jack underneath.

Hope you didn't do too much damage

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skirt looks bent now - very Lilly Savage. Chunk bent out underneath, hopefully wont effect resale mate!!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 07/11/2004 22:11:32

Gotta say, I've jacked up my R32 countless times and I've never ever had a problem.

Sure your Jack isn't faulty?

Funny you should say that, as it twisted both times - YES -twisted! I am taking it to VW tomorrow.....

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Gutted for you Tom, just a well you remembered what you Dad had told you, otherwise I think you would be suffering a little more that just a twisted skirt.

Sounds like you R32 boys need to spend ?14 down you local Audi dealer and purchase some jacking pads, so you can safely use a trolley jack on your pride and joy.

Posted Image

4x 8N0-804-583

4x 8N0-803-855

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33208

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Those jacking pads are a great idea.

But I've read on Vortex that the pads and points aren't there to be used for us, and that they can collapse and damage the floor plan. The points are only used when the cars are on the production line, half finished.

How true this is, I am not sure...

But there was pic's posted by Vortex users of their cars floor pans bending when they fitted those rubber pads (poorly i guess) onto their cars!

I know a few owners have fitted them onto their cars on this forum without any probs..

Perhaps they can discuss?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by andymac on 07/11/2004 23:37:59

now its a damged r32 will ya yake 14 grrand for it pppleeeaaassseee

Ha, no sorry mate - the damage is tiny and underneath thankfully!

·
Registered
454 Posts
the vw jack has twisted and fallen on me too before (luckily the wheel had just been put back on), also happened to a few other guys on another forum i use. think vw nicked their jacks from the ford parts bin..

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It fell off sideways mate - didnt roll at all, it came towards me!

After looking around the net it does seem to be a known problem - can I be bothered to ring VW???

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by Malky on 08/11/2004 10:25:28

These pads are not for jacking the car up, unless you like bending metal under the car!!

Use the beams...

That's what I did, used my trolley jack on the beams.. three wheels chocked, in reverse gear (was jackin' up the rear) and it still dented the beam a bit.. [V][:(]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts