Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've completely lost the use of my horn and at the same time have acquired an airbag warning light on my dash [:(]

We've had the airbag off, checked connections etc, but to no avail - Any ideas on what it might be?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked all the fuses when it first happened - Out of interest, what numbers are the relevant fuses? (I've lost my card/book!)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
No, black Mk5 drive the other way. Spotted at the top of that 'hill' queuing for the last roundabout to join the A2. Black 3dr with 5 spoke alloys of some kind? It was raining and noticed the plate first before anything else.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As for the airbag issue, i have had the same thing and it has been diagnosed as the sensor in the drivers seatbelt that is displaying the airbag warning light. New sensor fitted, no airbag light.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do I know whether or not my airbag system can be interrogated? Was there a date for those that can and those that cant?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VW seem pretty convinced I'm gonnna need a new airbag etc @ ?500.90 + fitting!

It seems that only VW main dealers will touch it, so how will I know whether they're pulling my leg or not?

I'm pretty convinced they'll try it on!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
VW think its the airbag eh?? sure that will show a fault if the ring connector behind the steering wheel is kaput! thats why your horn has gone Pete Tong at the same time. Get them to check that out first before replacing the airbag!!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just been down to VW to book it in for next Monday - The service fella
said it might be the slip ring (same as you've suggested Paul?).

?47 for the 30 mins diagnosis, then your guess is as good as mine!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be dropping my pride & joy off @ Beadles VW in Dartford tomorrow to get this sorted out.

I've never had any dealings with a main dealer before, so let's hope they don't let me down!

How am I supposed to know if they're pulling my leg or not?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All sorted - It was the slip ring.

?189.56 later my horn is back working and my airbag light is reset - At least I can get my MOT done now [:D]

·
Registered
149 Posts
i've always had airbag failure warning notification on my dashboard since i purchased my motor, last night i noticed that my horn now doesn't work.

does anyone think i might have a knackered slip ring too, i haven't checked my horn or fuses as yet so please don't throw that at me i'll cut you off first lol

any advice appreciated

A

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If you can press the horn and hear the relay clicking then it's likely to be the horns or the connector.

Take off the bottom right plastic grill and check the connections, and test horns as well as they can water in them etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts