Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, ive got a cable from eBay, it also came with a cd with the USB drivers which i have successfully installed it also had Release4091s version of VAG-COM, i installed it then you have to go into "options" on first use so i go in there and it under s elect port there is only "COM1\2\3\4" where my cable is USB. so i uninstalled that went onto ross-tech and downloaded VAG-COM Release 409-1 which has the option to s elect USB, so i s elected USB then pressed test and it came up with a error " Port Does Not Exist. Interface Not Found"? sso i guess it cant find the cable? so i also tried VAG-COM Release 311-2 which also only has the s election for COM1\2\3\4.

Can anyone please help me?
Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looks like the seller of your interface hardware forgot to tell you that what you bought is no real USB interface. It's a standard serial (COM) interface with an integrated USB<>RS232 converter. So you have to s elect the appropriate serial port which is being set up by the driver you received with your 3rd party interface.

Next time ask the seller for help...[:^)]

·
Registered
414 Posts
When i set mine up, i just had the lead. I plugged it in to the laptop on it's own not connected to the car. The laptop then says new hardware etc and goes about looking for drivers. Just let it search the internet for them, it will find them. When it's "seemingly" installed 2 devices (serial cable & serial to USB converter) then you can try and hook it up to the car.

When you insert the lead in to a usb port, go to device manager and see what com port it's been assigned and then s elect the same one in VAG COM when it asks you to do the options. Then save. connect lead to laptop and car, turn ignition on, and run VAG COM.

BTW you can only use 3.11 with a non-Rosstech interface. Hope that sorts it for you.

Andy

·
Registered
606 Posts
BTW you can only use 3.11 with a non-Rosstech interface. Hope that sorts it for you.
That's not correct. Version 409.1 works with a many 3rd party interfaces. However, 311 is more forgiving when it comes to poorly designed interfaces.

-Uwe-

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i set mine up, i just had the lead. I plugged it in to the laptop on it's own not connected to the car. The laptop then says new hardware etc and goes about looking for drivers. Just let it search the internet for them, it will find them. When it's "seemingly" installed 2 devices (serial cable & serial to USB converter) then you can try and hook it up to the car.

When you insert the lead in to a usb port, go to device manager and see what com port it's been assigned and then s elect the same one in VAG COM when it asks you to do the options. Then save. connect lead to laptop and car, turn ignition on, and run VAG COM.

Andy
hmmm i did try testing all the COM ports and they all came back saying the same thing. i will try deinstalling and reinstalling ot see if this makes any difference.
Thanks for every ones help its much appreciated

·
Registered
348 Posts
3rd party USB interfaces often associate themselves to a COM port above 4, which can not be recognized by VAG-COM. Again, you should ask the seller for detailed help, they are the ones making money on you and they are the ones that should know what they sell.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahhh i see yes it allocated itself COM13 i have changed it to COM1 i have gone onto VAG-COM it has tested ok but now what do i have to do? it wont let me save the settings? so i cant continue

·
Registered
348 Posts
...i have gone onto VAG-COM it has tested ok but now what do i have to do?
You could start with reading the manual...

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/main_screen.html

it wont let me save the settings? so i cant continue
Current genuine Ross-Tech interfaces act as dongle and work with the latest version of VAG-COM (607, Mid 2006), 3rd party interfaces only work with the old versions 311/409 (End 2003/Mid 2004) and require an activation to allow several functions.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's not correct. Version 409.1 works with a many 3rd party interfaces. However, 311 is more forgiving when it comes to poorly designed interfaces.

-Uwe-
That may be true. I can only speak from personal experience. Of the leads I've used, none have responded to 409. And unless you've got the full version, then there isn't much more that's accesible in the shareware version anyway.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That may be true.
We have no reason to tell lies, I promise.[8-|]

I can only speak from personal experience. Of the leads I've used, none have responded to 409.
Then you have used/experienced some "poorly designed" interfaces.

And unless you've got the full version, then there isn't much more that's accesible in the shareware version anyway.
Have you checked the differences between the 2 versions? There was a number of new features and improvements made between 311 and 409.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/revisions.html

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone i just had to plug it into the car to save the settings all is workign fine, and as i susspected an engine error came up saying i am loseing turbo pressure and it advises to check the DV , so i think i will be buying my Forge DV and some new hoses.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Was it easy to use once you got it working?

I think my MAF is a bit slugish at the mo & are you able to change alarm beeps as I want to alter the settings slightly?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes i got it to work it was rather strait forward, im not to sure what module to scan to to check the MAF. but i scanned everything got one engine error but ive cleared it and its not come back yet 

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can you change the alarm beeps?

Cos from what I've read, I think the best combination is:

Unlock - No beep, No Lights (if someone knicks your keys they can't see which car is yours)

Lock - Beep , Lights

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Can you change the alarm beeps?

Cos from what I've read, I think the best combination is:

Unlock - No beep, No Lights (if someone knicks your keys they can't see which car is yours)

Lock - Beep , Lights
The flaw here is that the interior light will come one when you unlock [:S] Also the clunk made be each door lock and lifting pins kind of give the game away too.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes very good point.. im new to VAG-COM so i wouldnt know if i could change it of not, i really need to read the manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts