Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning of November I was feeling really run down and lethargic and my throat was agony, then a couple of days later I went to get shaved and got a fright when I saw the size of my neck in the mirror. Went to the docs and turned out I had Glandular Fever and was off my work for nearly 3 weeks, then I went back to work last week and 2 days this week and was sent home with coughing fits, then I broke out in spots yesterday. Back to the docs today and turns out I've got chicken pox. Feel absolutely pants, can't eat, sleep or get comfortable, even feel knackered just walking from living room to kitchen. Got a sick line till a week on Monday, but really hoping it gets better sooner [:(]

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I really feel for you fella.

I had it in June 2005 at the age of 35 and it nearly killed me. I had a rare complication to it and somehow it attacked my heart, which stopped 4 times !!

I was was very very lucky, 1st time I snapped out of it somehow, Mrs then insisted getting paramedics out although at that time we had no idea how serious it was. So off I went in an ambulance to hospital for observation, on the way I passed out and my heart stopped, next thing I come round in A&E and they say "Your heart stopped, we had to shock you back." WTF ???

It happened a further two times in A&E (heart stopped and had to be shocked back!!!!) until the antiviral drugs they were pumping into me took hold. Very scary and I'm very lucky to be here. One minute I was chatting to the Mrs in A&E next slipping away.

Don't mean to scare you at all by the way, the complications I had from it were very very rare but after that fateful day (18/06/05) I spent two weeks in isolation in hospital suffering with the pox which was horrible.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bloody hell mate, I know you don't mean to scare me but that is scary stuff. I'm 29 and got to admit that when I came back from the docs I was quite breathless climbing the stairs to my house (live 2 floors up). I can normally run up these no probs but had to stop on 2 out of the 3 landings. Were your spots itchy and in some unusual places?

Got to admit though I've never felt this bad in a long time if at all, even the glandular fever was nowhere near as bad.

Good to hear you pulled through it all and are fit and well again mate.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Damn ct.p you are lucky!

I had it when I was a kid, its meant to be worst the older you get isn't it?

Funnily enough im watching south park on dvd and the episode im on is to do with chicken pox... wierd

Get better soon [:D]

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope you get better soon Big A. My Ex had glandular fever once and from what i heard it is not very nice.

All the best.
Cheers mate. Glandular fever was bad, but I'd rather have that again than the pox [:(]

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Dude, i had glandular fever a couple of years ago and best advice i could give to you is to keep a strict routine of gettin up, eating and going to bed. I fell into the trap of sleeping when i got the bouts of tiredness, and this knocked my sleeping pattern out. I would sleep from 8am to 8pm and then be awake from 8pm to 8am. this caused further fatigue and lengthened the time it took to get better.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Bloody hell mate, I know you don't mean to scare me but that is scary stuff. I'm 29 and got to admit that when I came back from the docs I was quite breathless climbing the stairs to my house (live 2 floors up). I can normally run up these no probs but had to stop on 2 out of the 3 landings. Were your spots itchy and in some unusual places?

Got to admit though I've never felt this bad in a long time if at all, even the glandular fever was nowhere near as bad.

Good to hear you pulled through it all and are fit and well again mate.
The day I had all the problems was actually two days before the spots came out so you'd be way past it.

A life changing experience like that really does change your perspective on life.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The day I had all the problems was actually two days before the spots came out so you'd be way past it.

A life changing experience like that really does change your perspective on life.
Yeah my mum said your meant to be worse before the spots appear, but got to say I've been pretty much the same if not maybe a little better today. Also the missus says that the spots get itchy as they get better?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I had it as a kid, and it was really itchy! But yeah, if you get it first time when you're older, its worse than if you get it as a kid.

It came back a few years ago as the grown up version - Shingles - and that's just painful [:(]

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had Chicken Pox a couple of months ago (I'm 23) and somehow I managed to get rid of it fairly quickly (just over a week).

I'd recommend drinking lots of fluids, and I mean lots. Keep a jug of water or juice in front of you and constantly drink it. It'll get everything out of your system that bit quicker.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice and get wells guys.

Been keeping a 2 litre bottle of water beside me all the time but cant manage to drink a lot, only managed to drink a litre between yesterday afternoon and just now.

Got a few more spots today and my forehead looks like a pizza. Have got them in some unusual places like my knuckle, ears and one in a particularly tender place [:'(]

·
Registered
248 Posts
You need to be drinking a?good few jugs a day (maybe I should rephrase that?). Water gets boring, maybe try other things. And I heard that drinking milk makes the scarring afterwards much worse, probably why I'm still covered in them :(

Have you got Camomile lotion or cream? Not sure how to use them but I think I used the lotion constantly to dry up the spots. then the cream to keep them moisturised after the chicken pox had gone, or it could have been the other way around. Just use cotton wool or something similar to apply the lotion few times a day.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need to be drinking a good few jugs a day (maybe I should rephrase that?). Water gets boring, maybe try other things. And I heard that drinking milk makes the scarring afterwards much worse, probably why I'm still covered in them :(

Have you got Camomile lotion or cream? Not sure how to use them but I think I used the lotion constantly to dry up the spots. then the cream to keep them moisturised after the chicken pox had gone, or it could have been the other way around. Just use cotton wool or something similar to apply the lotion few times a day.
Think I'll add some diluting orange or blackcurrant to the water make it a bit more appealing.

Not got any calamine lotion, might send the missus out for some. Got loads of spots under my hair as well, I can tell I'm gonna look pretty[:$]

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just for information, its caused by the Varicella-Zoster virus.

Might find some bits of info on the web for it, or remedies to relieve symptoms maybe?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts