Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Well, after my months of indecision, and my oh-so-nearly Bora Highline, and the flirtation with a Fabia vRS it's all over - I've bought my derv burning tractor car! [:D]

No, really this time! [:D]

And, after all that procrastination - the BMW 320d's, the Fabia vRS's, the Alfa 156 2.4Ds and the Audi TDI's ....

.... it's a Mk4 Golf GT TDI 130! [:D]

Indecision? Moi! Hah!

Well, the crux of the matter is - I need a diesel right now, filling up the V6 is absolutely crucifying me and I don't have loads of cash to play with (and I don't want finance!), so enough faffing around and it's done.

My V6 p/x + ?1k cash has netted me a standard Reflex Silver GT TDI PD130 3 door, 40k miles on a '02 52 plate.

The dealership are getting it delivered from one of their affiliated dealers (in Exeter - anyone know it?) up here to me on Friday, and I can drive it away the week after - gotta wait for insurance docs n stuff.

Must remember to remove my Beetle Sport pins and Polo wiper before trade-in day! [:D]

Chuffed to bits!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Used to live in Exeter mate - my car was originally supplied by that dealer and they happen to be shockingly bad at customer service...But the car should be good and you don't need to worry about that [;)]

Congrats!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by asgh4r on 02/02/2005 21:35:28

congrats dude, join the oil burner club

Bye bye bad economy, V6 roar, and 4wd, hello front wheel drive good economy and fumes!!! LOL

Nice one bud, a golf is a golf is a golf... all good[:D]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Got to tell you, there is a perverse pleasure in getting +50mpg when you are more use to 20 odd mpg.

The wife drives the V6 during the week. I normally rack up 600 miles a week (or 1 tank in TDI terms [^]). Come the weekend though I'm now down to around 18mpg [}:)]

Seriously though, would love to know your comments on driving the TDI 130 when you get it. I was impressed with the performance of PD100, I thought it would be a bit of a dog after the V6, but sitting on the motorway at 80mph theres nothing it. Obviously the acceleration is not as quick in the TDI, but believe the 130 is seriously quick with all that torque?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by dazza291970 on 02/02/2005 22:09:45

Got to tell you, there is a perverse pleasure in getting +50mpg when you are more use to 20 odd mpg.

The wife drives the V6 during the week. I normally rack up 600 miles a week (or 1 tank in TDI terms [^]). Come the weekend though I'm now down to around 18mpg [}:)]

Seriously though, would love to know your comments on driving the TDI 130 when you get it. I was impressed with the performance of PD100, I thought it would be a bit of a dog after the V6, but sitting on the motorway at 80mph theres nothing it. Obviously the acceleration is not as quick in the TDI, but believe the 130 is seriously quick with all that torque?

IMO only downside to the diesels ive driven (130, 150bhp) is the slightly less relaxed drive... ie changing gear a lot more often to keep the pace up with the powerful but short lived powerband... v6 pulls any gear and all the way thru.

I got into the habit of trying to get better and better mpgs on the 4mo trying anything everything to do it!! got up to 40MPG once!! LOL driving like a grandad tho!!![:eek:)][:D]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Good luck with it mate...........you'll absolutely love it !!

The V6 is one quick car tho.......

I *just* managed to stick to the back bumper of a hard-driven 4-mo on the motorway - slowing thru slower traffic and then hard acceleration back up to speed.....i wqas a very close match up to my double-figue personally imposed maximum.....i kept catching him though.

I had the tuning box on at the time.....165/170bhp - 270lb/ft.

I bet you'll relish the extra cash in your pocket thru better mpg.......more money for mods!!! LOL

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote: posted by evilhomer on 02/02/2005 22:17:08

Quote: posted by dazza291970 on 02/02/2005 22:09:45

IMO only downside to the diesels ive driven (130, 150bhp) is the slightly less relaxed drive... ie changing gear a lot more often to keep the pace up with the powerful but short lived powerband... v6 pulls any gear and all the way thru.

I got into the habit of trying to get better and better mpgs on the 4mo trying anything everything to do it!! got up to 40MPG once!! LOL driving like a grandad tho!!![:eek:)][:D]

Bloody hell! 40mpg.. Nice one, best i got was 37mpg at about 60-70mph on 60 mile trip.

The v6 is smoother, but I sometimes fell that the 6 speed box is sometimes a bit too much in the V6, the gearing a little narrow! Especially the first couple of gears. For me the bigger issue would be the loss of the V6 roar!

Dont get me wrong, when there is an ST170 Focus next to you at the lights, give me the 6 speed box, but for every day driving I find the 5 speed more relaxing. Probably depends on your mood at the time and what is parked next to you at the lights [^]

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd be really keen to hear your opinion from going from the v6 to diesel as i need to do this very soon to finance my track car.

I just can't bring myself to sell it when i listen to that gorgeous exhaust note and engine growl. :(

Hope it goes well.

·
Banned
774 Posts
Went from a 300BHP 4WD car to the MKIV diesel with REVO and although it's slower and has some traction 'issues' even in the dry (saw the ESP flashing like mad today on exiting a roundabout) there is definately a pleasure to be had in caning the a55 off a car and still getting 38mpg average.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I swapped my S3 for my 150PD Golf.

All I really miss are the Recaros, the zenon lights and the Bose sounds, honestly, I did over 500 miles today (From Austria to home) and averaged 48mpg and that included a spell of 100+ in Germany.

Try it, you might like it!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by golfv64mo on 02/02/2005 21:53:35

Precisely - bye-bye 21mpg, hello 55mpg! [:D]

vive le tracteur! [:D]

Wouldn't the perfect combo be the best bits from both? Is that possible?

I cruise controlled from Edinburgh to Glasgow today (on std map - see 'oh no, my clutch is slipping thread'!), about 68mph with faster overtaking bits as necessary and i got an indicated 55.8mpg.

Being Sith: - enjoy (esp after remap etc etc)!

·
Registered
267 Posts
must be somthing wrong with mine.cant seem to get over 40 mpg at the mo ?.usally got three of us in and running 18`s.does my maf need cleaning or replacing.[xx(]

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 11/02/2005 23:00:34

Well I got 34MPG out of my V6 today on the way to Bracknell so there [:p]

Car here yet golfv64mo?

Picked it up tonight! Pics tommorrow! It's very standard, so it's not much to shout about (yet!). First mod has already been done - put Sem's 6 CD dash changer in! [:D]

56.4MPG on the journey from stealers>home! Bwahahahhah!

Getting used to the (lack of) traction is going to be...interesting...the traction control light flashed more on my journey home tonight than it has done in my entire year's driving of the 4Mo!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I find the traction light light flashes an awful lot on my TDI, and mines only a 100pd. Makes you realise how much work the haldex 4wd system does in the 4motion.

Does anyone on the board have a TDI 4motion?

Getting used to the (lack of) traction is going to be...interesting...the traction control light flashed more on my journey home tonight than it has done in my entire year's driving of the 4Mo!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts