Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Ok, not like that but a guy in a Landy skidded into me at a set of traffic lights yesterday. It was only a couple of MPH bump and damage at first glance seems to be just the bumper taking the impact.

Posted Image

He would like me to get a quote to sort it out rather then go through insurance because he only has 3yrs NCB and its not protected. This could be an opportunity for me to go for a smoothed bumper look without actually paying anything myself.

Questions..

1) Does anyone know how much a bumper is ?

2) How much to spray it (Met Black) ?

I'm assuming a couple of hours workshop time to fit a new bumper. Is that about right ?

Bring on that smoothed look. Oh yeah !

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Smoothed look is expensive is you want it doing properly. Appx ?300 smoothed and sprayed, but thats smoothing the valence into the bumper also. These are the prices im paying anyway.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen to my golf last month, quotes came in at around ?400 from VW and an independant. This is to replace the bumper and respray.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At first the guy that hit me though there was no damaged and wanted to settle in cash, though once he saw this were now going through the insurance company.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Check the fitment around the rear lights to make sure nothing's been moved in the bump. Mine looked okay until i tried to fit the new bumper, had to replace one of the crash cans. Think i paid ?75 for a tailgate (with all fittings/wiper motor etc) and bumper from my local scrappy, in the right colour too [;)]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Guys, this is a real help.

rfSteel, funny that you got quotes from Colbourne Garages because it was at the lights turning right into the Slyfield Industrial Estate that it happened.

I'll check the damage underneath the bumper at the weekend and see if it requires extra work. If its gonna cost me ?300 to habve it smoothed, then i think that will have to wait.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
remember if you got the rear smoothed then you would need to get the front smoothed to match at some point. It cost me more to get the front smoothed too. Well worth it though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
if they accidentally over-order on the paint you could ask them colourcode your valances if you cant stretch to having them smoothed.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Just be careful, whatever you decide to do. Document everything, becasue if the wheel comes off you've got know comeback.

If you know a nodyshop then go for it, as they will be able to assess what you need and also work in the mod... if not, don't accept any funds until you are absolutely sure. [!]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by BlahBlahMan on 10/11/2004 10:45:08

rfSteel, funny that you got quotes from Colbourne Garages because it was at the lights turning right into the Slyfield Industrial Estate that it happened.

I'll check the damage underneath the bumper at the weekend and see if it requires extra work. If its gonna cost me ?300 to habve it smoothed, then i think that will have to wait.

That is a bit freaky.

When I had my damage assessed they firstly check the the boot lid closed smoothly and with no effort to ensure this hadn't been damaged, then then checked under the lights and in each top corner of the bumper to ensure that it was only the bumper that was damaged.

The only thing that got me from the two quotes I got above was that the independant was going repair the current bumper and VW where going to replace it along with inner carrier, though both quotes came it at the same price, go figure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same thing happened to me today. Slowed for some lights and an Astra locked up and went into the back of me. His whole front end was completely mashed, but my rear bumper looks similar to yours. Am amazed at how solid the ole MK4 is. Going to stealers on saturday to assess damage, as its looking like its gonna be an insurance job.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, just called the guy but he's out so his Mum was asking some questions about the accident. Apparently he hadn't 'mentioned it'. Haha, she said that he would be in later 'cause he hadn't had his tea and he'd call back then.

Bless !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts