Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

well I've been a member for over a year and a half and today is a very sad day for me. I am forced to sell my Golf that I have cared for and modified for a year due to expensive repair costs. I have put in so much effort it makes me sick and I am very very very sad [:(][:(]. I think I spent about 3 weeks colour coding, sanding all the strips.. I painted the calipers over christmas, freezing to death etc. Recently I have paid out hundreds to lower the car on FK sports suspension.

I think I will give my car that rediculous clean I have always intended to give it.

Also smithjoe, I will show you the suspension before I sell.. Apparently my car could be fixed this weekend, I'll let you know.

I have a plan though [:D]. I am gonna sell my car, pay off any remaining finance and get a new loan [:D][B)]. Then I will buy a Skoda Octavia VRS. How fast are they in standard form? Also, what bhp and 0-60 would Revo give me?

Cheers,

Rye[:(]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by Cat1.4 on 07/04/2005 18:43:20

What are you needing repaired?

Gearbox failure... also my clutch is totally worn out so getting that done too.. bill is about ?2000

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Is it not worth getting some use out of the car once repaired?

Its just the thought of you in a fast car!! [;)]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by GaryM on 07/04/2005 19:08:22

Is it not worth getting some use out of the car once repaired?

Its just the thought of you in a fast car!! [;)]

lol what you saying?? I still wouldn't keep up with you anyway.

Yeh I see what your saying about getting use out of it.. But even to afford the repair bill I would have to either pay off my loan and get a new loan or somehow borrow the money from elsewhere... Also there might be other faults waiting to come out. We'll see anyway... Only option I can see right now is selling. I could get a 1.8T Golf but that would be a 1999 and might have probs...

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Rye on 07/04/2005 19:14:15

lol what you saying??

Just teasing [:eek:)]

I still remember your 3 wheeled manoeuvre over the roundabout on the way to the last Midlands meet [:O]

Everybody broke, apart from you!!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote: posted by GaryM on 07/04/2005 19:19:09

Quote: posted by Rye on 07/04/2005 19:14:15

lol what you saying??

Just teasing [:eek:)]

I still remember your 3 wheeled manoeuvre over the roundabout on the way to the last Midlands meet [:O]

Everybody broke, apart from you!!!

LOL yeh man but Goodyear Eagle F1s!! hehe

Insurance quote on the VRS is ?1500 [:O].. that is with tesco... I am sorted if I can get it for ?1200

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
not being funny but why is a gearbox on a 1.6 let alone any golf going to cost two grand, pleas say you havent used the dealer!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote: posted by andymac on 07/04/2005 20:05:05

not being funny but why is a gearbox on a 1.6 let alone any golf going to cost two grand, pleas say you havent used the dealer!

My thoughts entierly, could get a motorsport box for that money.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Selecta gearbox in warrington (HIGHLY REPUTABLE) can rebuild a VR6 gearbox for ?600 and fitting would only be ?150 and a clutch could be fitted at the same time FYI clutch parts should be no more than ?100 for a car like that.

I really cannot see how anyone has justified ?2000 for that work I seriously hope you have had AT LEAST three qoutes.

I remember a garage in brighton qouting ?900 to replace my 205 gti gear box,, instead I drove it to liverpool with no clutch and it cost me only ?160 for a new clutch.

RYE get a third party engineers report AND another qoute for the exact same work. for ?2000 I would be expecting a new engine and driveshafts aswell on a 1.6

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by andymac on 07/04/2005 23:01:46

Selecta gearbox in warrington (HIGHLY REPUTABLE) can rebuild a VR6 gearbox for ?600 and fitting would only be ?150 and a clutch could be fitted at the same time FYI clutch parts should be no more than ?100 for a car like that.

I really cannot see how anyone has justified ?2000 for that work I seriously hope you have had AT LEAST three qoutes.

I remember a garage in brighton qouting ?900 to replace my 205 gti gear box,, instead I drove it to liverpool with no clutch and it cost me only ?160 for a new clutch.

RYE get a third party engineers report AND another qoute for the exact same work. for ?2000 I would be expecting a new engine and driveshafts aswell on a 1.6

hey Andy,

yeh I do think it is a bit steep myself. The part from VW is ?1200 I think. They are also charging labour for taking the gearbox apart to find the cause to see if my warranty company will pay or not. Luckily the warranty company are paying out, so I am only paying ?1000 of the cost myself. The clutch is ?100 plus VAT with no labour. I am screwed now though as the work is being carried out.

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
Who is your warranty with?

Warranty Direct make you initially pay for investigative work, but if it turns out to be a problem that is covered by their warranty, then they'll reimburse you for the investigations.

Or at least they did last year when I got a warranty from them.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by Josh_PoloGTi on 08/04/2005 06:39:42

Who is your warranty with?

Warranty Direct make you initially pay for investigative work, but if it turns out to be a problem that is covered by their warranty, then they'll reimburse you for the investigations.

Or at least they did last year when I got a warranty from them.

Yeh I am with warranty Direct. They said they wouldn't pay for a new box, only to weld the old one.. This would have been a bit of a botch up welding a di-cast ally box. Hence the difference in the total and what they are paying.

HOWEVER... I am pleased to annouce good news!

This is a great day!! I am keeping my Golf thanks to my dad [:D] He isn't paying it for me but he is giving me a loan at 0%APR. Hopefully I pick the car up tomorrow with a new box and new clutch! [8D][8D] Bring on many more happy ([!]) years of Golf ownership! wahoo

·
Registered
920 Posts
Quote: posted by andymac on 07/04/2005 23:01:46

andy have you got there number ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts