Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting my US H1B visa approved last month, my future employeer has now cancelled the project that I was employeed to work on.

So instead of heading straight for a dole queeue I though I would scan the following sites for suitable work;

www.theitjobboard.co.uk

www.jobsite.co.uk

http://www.totaljobs.com/

www.cwjobs.co.uk/

Of which I found 3 jobs that I felt suited to on Monday, so used the Apply Now buttons to send a copy of my CV and ask for further details and the location of the advertised posistions from the recruiters.

I know these people are like the Estate Agents of the employment world, but I would have though at least one of them would atleast acknowledge via email the fact that I had sent them my CV.

So tomorrow, I was thinking of calling said recruiters to find out where I stand, question is do I go in all bullish expressing my dissatification with the lack of feedback or do I just find out what's happening with the advertised posistion ?

The jobs I'm applied for are between £50-70k so I would have though they would be jumping down the phone at me, plus I have immediate availibility.

Or is it my CV that's letting my down ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
472 Posts
hit the phones don't tell them you've already sent CV in and tell them your available now. be polite otherwise they will just bin you or write tosser on your cv or something similar also some of the jobs you see may not be real just so they have got people they can ring if a vacancy comes in. phone Hays IT and try www.vedior.com put your hobbies on your CV no one likes a boring candidate

trust me i've worked in recruitment for 6 1/2 years now.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've always avoided the hobbies bit and concentrated on what's relevant to the job, although if you're careful with wording you can hint to your personality in your profile. It depends ultimately who reads your CV. When I've had to review CVs, I've not really taken any notice of a person's hobbies if stated. It's similar to interview technique, there is no strict rule, obviously don't dress like a clown, but you've got to connect with the interviewer and not act like a robot reading a script. In some work places you couldn't care less whether your colleagues are boring or what they like to do in their spare time, they're paid to do a job and as long as they don't try to stab you in the back then that's more than enough.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Jobserve.com
www.venturerm.com

Avoid computappoint

If you want the big bucks go for the banks and /or contracting...and find a good umbrella company that can give you an 85% retention (montpellier or email for others)

often looking for perm and contractors

www.xansa.com
www.getronics.com

My approach is to phone them - get their direct email and send CV/Skills Summary/Copy of relevant acredditations (ie MCSE transcript).

Don't give them the CV unless you feel sure that the job is real job, many of the ads on job sites are duplicates (mulit agency) try and find the sole agency ones. A lot of agencies put big salaries/rates on ads to gather CV's in times of low placement turnover. Pick the times of year

Start of financial years, Jan-Mar for banks as many of the staff have had their bonuses and want to move on.

Avoid holiday periods as decision makers are often on holiday or spending time at home with kids.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not having much luck at the moment, can't even get an agent to respond to my follow up calls to the jobs I have been applying too [:mad:]

These are some of the roles I have been applying for;

Database Engineer / PL/SQL Guru PL/SQL, SQL, OLTP, Schemas, Physical
Design, Stored Procedures - One of the fastest growing, most forward
thinking technology companies in the UK, and possibly the world, and
now the biggest e-commerce site in Europe is going on a major drive to
increase their pool of skilled developers. My client currently have the
3rd most powerful OLTP systems in the world and therefore this not only
offers you an opportunity to develop your skills alongside some of the
best Oracle Developers in the UK, but also to work for a highly
regarded and recognised brand name, on multiple fast paced projects in
an excellent technology environment and have excellent opportunities
for progression and improve on your already excellent skillset. To be
considered for this role you will need to have excellent experience of
PL/SQL and SQL on Oracle (8i/9i) with experience of Bulk Processing,
Analytical Functions, Standards and Documentation, Database Design,
Schemas, Physical Design and DBA issues such as Performance and Tuning
and also in-depth experience of OLTP environments. Please note this is
not a DBA role, but a development position with some DBA
responsibilities. My client looks to hire candidates with a real
passion for technology, therefore if IT is more than just a job to you,
this could be the perfect role.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My client is the market leader in betting exchanges
currently looking for an Oracle 9i Database engineer with phenomenal
skills in PL/SQL. You will be working with one of the largest databases
in Europe where speed is of the utmost importance. If you do not have
experience of working on databases exceeding 1TB in size you need not
apply. You will have at least 4 years experience as a software engineer
using PL/SQL during this time. Preference would be given to someone
from a banking background. OLTP system knowledge is also high on the
list of skills definitely required along with database performance
analysis and design. This is a fantastic opportunity to work for a
market leader where you will be well rewarded for your PL/SQL skills.
This opportunity is only open for Oracle gurus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oracle Architect (Designer, Developer, Software Engineer,
PL/SQL). Are you stuck in a Catch 22 situation? ie want to get into the
financial services arena but your lack of experience within the
industry is preventing you from entering it? Then this could be your
lucky break! Our client is the world's most prestigious investment
bank. We are seeking an exemplary Database Architect/Senior
Designer/Developer to work on the design and development of their
Greenfield Oracle environment. Applicants should have 4-10 years
experience in architecting, designing and developing databases and a
skill set that encompasses: Oracle 9i, PL/SQL and Unix (Sun Solaris).
Our client has already budgeted for an upgrade to 10g and can provide
you with x-training into data warehousing, OLAP, ETL. No previous
banking experience is required. These positions would be suitable for
Senior Designers/Developers who are looking to progress into a position
as an Architect or existing Architects who are looking to work on a
Greenfield project. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get
involved in one of the most exciting projects in the UK. My client is
looking to secure and retain the services of the best candidates on the
market place; as such they are offering a challenging role, guaranteed
career progression for top performers and above market rate salaries.
I presume my CV above is not standing out from the rest for these roles ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I work in IT as well as an Analyst mainframe/PC programmer. From your cv I would say that you are going for jobs that are bit above your experience levels. 50-70k jobs are very senior roles, regardless of whether you think you can do them or not. I've got about 8yrs experience myslef, and I would just not bother going for these roles as I know I wouldn't be able to get them. Why don't you aim for jobs in the 30-40k range, you should have more luck there imo. I would also tailor your CV per job that you are applying for to make it more suitable. i would also drop the job on the CV in the states that didn't go anywhere, it's a pointless addition.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I think the problem is it's very difficult to have a CV that stands out and smacks the reviewer in the face unless you print it on fluorescent pink paper (in which case it'll most likely raise a chuckle then promptly get binned), the nature of technical jobs being such that the job and person descriptions are so precise (and even those for, hmm, far less technical jobs shall we say), almost to the point of being contrived, you either fit the job spec or you don't, there's little to no possibility to be outstanding, and the employers probably review a million of these things in the course of a year, they'll probably pick them on stupid things such as whether they like the sound of your name or if they know your home town.

It's now more important than ever to not only have the skills but to also know the right people. In fact knowing the right people has got a lot of people into jobs for which they're clearly not fit. Sad fact of life.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Hiya Russel,

Personally I think your CV is letting you down.

I would tailor your CV for each job you apply for. But I would also change the format and content of your CV.

The way I have my CV laid out is:

Personal details: Name Address, age, contact details.

Personal Profile: Just 2 paragraphs basically saying I have 17 years experience in IT/Telecoms, Team leadership skils, delivered projects with agressive deadlines in the UK, South america, middle east etc

Expertise/Skill areas: I mention all my skill areas not in detail not bullet pointed but clear enough. 2 columns! I also make the key ones appear at the top.

Next is employment history: The company and role. Description of the job role followed by the significant acheivments.

Next is education/Qualifications:

Next is personal info: married etc

Hobies and interests

Finsihed off with Referees - Personal and professional available on request.

I would loose the stuff about the visa and loss of job! Don't mention what your looking for in CV and don;t mention your not currently working. Get your foot in the door and they can ask what your upto.

Your CV is the key to open the door to a company.

J.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I agree with J your CV is letting you down... and also with the other guy that says your aiming a bit too high... 50-70k jobs are for people with alot more than 8 years experience unless totally exceptional.

I would also add that the training set is looking a bit outdated.. you havent had any formal trainiing for the last 6 years.. of 8 years experieence that is alot.

My mates that work in Cybul (SP pronounced seebul) and Cisco are contarctors on 50 to 70k spend on themselves 3-10k per annum on training!!!

Also when mentioning projects tell people what procedures you worked towards or with Experience of BS7799 or ISO is a big bonus as most corporations ts paying the big money work in accordance with these so knowledge of them is usefull

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Just a few notes, the stuff above covers most things.

Agencies are, by and large, hopless. If they receive CV's, many of them just feed them into their database, and use keyword matching to pick the candidates. (not that I would ever suggest stuffing your CV full of every acronym known to man as hidden text...)

So make sure your CV covers EVERY point listed in the advert, as this is usually just a cut and paste of the spec from the employer.

Don't assume that the agency has any technical or industry knowledge. They usually don't.

Be cagey with releasing your CV, many companies post bogus adverts to gather a crop of CVs. They then tell their clients "oh yes, we have x number of people on our books right now".

If a job isn't sole agency, contact all the agents first and get a feel for which one actually wants to represent you.

(story - I went for a mgt. job, spoke at length to one agency who refused to put me forward because I "wasn't technical enough", despite the fact that I had the experience asked for and made of point of explaining that I had a long history in getting IT stuff across to those without IT skills, ie, I'm not a geek. So, went to another agency, who put me forward without a second's hesitation. I got the job.)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agree with most of the above...

Apart fromt the money situation. I believe it is down to whether you feel competent or not to perform a job for 50-70k mate. Ok experience comes into it but you may be very good at what you do in which case you can achieve that standard of pay. you obviously have been earning somthing similar to this already as you are applying in this area now.

Just be confident. I know many people with far less experience on 100k+ doing contracting in IT and also people in many other job roles you just have to find the one that suit you.

Be positive!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to the guys that sent me examples of their CV's, much appreciated. Also had a trawl of the web to see other examples, only question I have, so I make the employment details more technical or are they currently ok ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

P.S. You don't see any table gridlines when printed, this is just from a screen grab.

I have sent a copy of my old CV to these adverts this morning;

Database Developer London up to £38k (SQL, PL/SQL)

World leading trading company seeks exceptional Database developers to join their team.

Passionate about technology? Do you have the desire to be part of
something totally new working for one of the most high profile
technology organisations globally? Be a pioneer in a business venture
that will push technology to the limit. This opportunity is about
enthusiasm, dynamism and entrepreneurial tendencies in a fast paced,
high transactional environment. They have been recognised as a world
leader in their field.

The right applicant will ideally be educated to Degree level, possess
at least 2 years experience working with PL/SQL in an Oracle 8i, 9i or
10g environment. Experienced in using Oracle reporting tools, and
Oracle performance tuning skills.

You will be responsible for development and support of the database components for the internal trading systems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Superb opportunity to progress your career into Banking. This small,
prestigious bank in the City seek a developer / analyst programmer to
join the team developing, maintaining and supporting a range of
in-house systems. They use a range of technologies - database
applications are based around the Oracle development suite of tools,
other applications are based on MS Office products and reports are
written in Crystal.

You will have a good degree in a relevant subject, (eg IT, Maths,
Sciences, Engineering) and by now have acquired about 2 years analysis,
design and development experience using PL/SQL and Oracle. You will
need to have the desire to learn new skills and have a can-do approach
with the drive and determination to make a difference.

In addition to Oracle PL/SQL skills we seek an ability in at least 1 of
the following:Oracle Designer 6i (including the Web Toolkit); Oracle
Apex (Application Express - formally HTML DB); Excel and Access
applications and the use of VB / VBA; Crystal Reports perhaps using
Crystal Enterprise Edition; Scripting (ASP, VBScript, JavaScript); MS
Word templates; SQL Server 2000.

You will need to have Oracle PL/SQL and at least one other skill taken from the list above.

Training will be provided to fully develop you across all the other technologies.
No response as yet, though will chase them tomorrow with a telephone call to see why what my CV lacks and if my replacement one will cure the problems.

I have also just seen this posistion, which I will send my new CV to and see if it prompts a responce;

London based global asset management firm with billions under
management, have an immediate requirment for an expert Oracle PL/SQL
developer. You will have 4+ years of commercial experience, excellent
stored procedures and querying (I mean superb!) and an excellent
attitude to problem solving. You will additionally have an
understanding about the financial marketplace - ideally asset
management - and will be keen to excel in a driven front office
environment.
As to the comments to the salary brackets that I aiming for, these are the only jobs that match my prevous roles and expirence.

My ideal role is out there, with BetFair, no-one advertising their posistions is willing to talk to you [8o|]

£40,000-£80,000 + Bonus + Benefits

If you are working with Oracle PL/SQL and SQL and have at least 5
years commercial experience, then this could be the ideal role for you.
You will need to be at the top of your game and be an expert in
advanced SQL and PL/SQL. You will have been working on large
Transactional Processing systems and have excellent knowledge of
performance tuning, OLTP, Physical Database Design, Technical design
and Unit Testing. It is likely that you will be a top graduate and
maybe have come from either the Banking world or large E-Commerce
background. You will be working for one of the most technically
advanced sites in the world and money is not really a problem. It is
more about how strong technically you are and how much you wanted to be
challenged. We believe these are among the best Oracle roles in the UK
currently and anyone who gets an interview will love the opportunity.
If you want to hear more and believe you are right for these roles,
then please call us or send your details in for a confidential
discussion.
Any one here work for BetFairs HR dept ?[;)]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
That looks much better. Had a quick scan through and have a couple of minor points.

It almost looks like you have written it to get it to fit on 2 pages, most technical CV's cover 3 pages...

In the personal profile I would mention about working in a solo role not just as a team player. You might want to mention highly motivated in there some where as well

In the first section of work break down the dates in the 2 roles you had with the company. How long where you an analyst programmer?

In the marketing Engineer section big the job up a little bit more. The 2 after that are fine.

Regarding your question about the job roles being technical enough, most companies now will give you a quick telephone interview before they will want to see you face to face. This usually entales a quick technical discussion and it'll quickly beomce apperent if your not technical so I would leave them as they are.

J.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would also run both the JDA sections under 1 JDA banner 199x - present, with sub dates underneath for the separate role. Just forget about the 3 month gap, it will read much better as 1 role. Looks much better now tho.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I would also run both the JDA sections under 1 JDA banner 199x - present, with sub dates underneath for the separate role. Just forget about the 3 month gap, it will read much better as 1 role. Looks much better now tho.
I agree with all the above comments but in addition I have to say that you are definitely aiming too high.

The major minus point is that you're not degree educated, some HND's requires a single year sandwich course to get 'upgrade' to a basic degree so that might be an option?

That job you mention above actually mentions you should be (might have said ideally) degree educated. So thinking that your experience in the relevant areas may make up somehow for the lack of education doesn't work. They may get hundreds of CV's through and shortlisting them is a nightmare, i know, its one of my roles as an IT manager.

The first thing I do is bin the ones that don't even meet the criteria requested.

Just my 2 penneth.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The major minus point is that you're not degree educated, some HND's requires a single year sandwich course to get 'upgrade' to a basic degree so that might be an option?
I did try, just didn't make it all the way to a BSc due to finding myself in the Union bar to often. I manage to spend 4 year a Uni, but only came away with at 2 year course to show for it.

Should I just BS it and order one of those online university certificates just in case they ask for proof ? [:p]

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did try, just didn't make it all the way to a BSc due to finding myself in the Union bar to often. I manage to spend 4 year a Uni, but only came away with at 2 year course to show for it.

Should I just BS it and order one of those online university certificates just in case they ask for proof ? [:p]
Having now been able to get through and speak to some of the agents advertising this role that the lack of degree is my stumbiling block, surley this could be seen a discriminatory ?

On the upside, in a strange fait of luck, one of the roles I applied for, happens to be one of my former managers, so he has managed to iron a smooth route to a first interview sometime next week.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I wouldn't let the fact you don't have a degree stop you.

In my field all the jobs state a degree is mandatory and I don't have one. Never stopped me, never had any problems finding work.

It certainly hasn't capped my earnings either. Keep at it and you'll find the one.

Good luck with the interview, it's all about who you know nowadays [:D]

J.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts