Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my GT TDI 115 from new and it's now 4 1/2 years old but the number of things that have gone wrong with it in that time have seriously dented the prospect of my buying another and questions VW's so-called bullet proof reliability and build quality.Here is a list of what's gone wrong:-

1. Defective paintwork (fixed under warranty)

2. Internal dash illumination failed (fixed under warranty)

3. Hazard warning switch knackered (outwith warranty)

4. Brake light switch knackered (outwith warranty)

5. Windscreen wiper linkage siezed and replaced (outwith warranty)

6. I think my MAF's shagged

7. Bloody annoying squeaks and rattles.

From what I can pick up from this forum, these are all common faults not peculiar to my car.You expect all this from a Trabant, not a 4 1/2 year old VW. Before my Golf, I had a ten year old Sierra (I know, don't laugh) and hardly anything ever went wrong with it. The only saving grace on the Golf is the engine which is superb, the rest is crap in my experience.

When you combine all this with the fact that the stealers are rip-off merchants with dreadful customer service, I am well pissed off. Apologies for the rant.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think VW spend more time on their engines than on anything else. I
would say the quality isnt as good as everyone makaes it out to be, but
when you get DIY'ing with the car, you do notice things that show they
have put some effort into making the vehicle more durable. I have to
agree though, the after sales service is utter *beep* and we get robbed
in daylight !

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I think VW spend more time on their engines than on anything else. I would say the quality isnt as good as everyone makaes it out to be, but when you get DIY'ing with the car, you do notice things that show they have put some effort into making the vehicle more durable.
I concur there on the little design features, even the door hinges are more substantial than most cars in the same class (well I came from a French car...).

I have to agree though, the after sales service is utter *beep* and we get robbed in daylight !
Always had excellent service from my two local dealers. When I had mine serviced last week, I saw they even wrap steering wheels in cling film to stop them getting grubby in the workshop, which is already very clean and tidy by most standards I've seen. The staff are courteous and friendly, remember me by name, and it's always a pleasure to visit.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
lol, I came to my bora from a french car too ... have to say the door hinges were one of the first things I noticed [:)]

I am sure the majority of the members on this site are disappointed
with vw after sales. I guess youre lucky you get that treatment [:cool:]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
My tuppence worth:

I think that, until you own a vw, you think it's got that bullet-proof reliability.

Then, when you run it in real life it turns out to be less reliable that you first thought.

I agree with nudda's statement about vw spending money on their engines
- it's so obvious that they have because they're great. Also,
there are nice little touches to the interior designed to make things a
bit easier - things like the interior panels just popping off for easy
access, that little light sensor in the instrument cluster (but I can't
think of any more!)

But iof you spend more money on one thing, you have to spend less on
another - and that's what's letting them down. (Just my opinion)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll throw in a ?uro...

I don't want to tempt fate, but for the last year I've owned my TDI 100 (2002) - I love it to bits, but I'm in two minds as to the quality/value for money aspect.

I've always admired good engineering (who hasn't) and aside from the engine, all the little things that make me think someone actually looked at a situation then designed something to fit, impresses me. There are many examples, but one that springs to mind is the light in the sun visor. Technically speaking a piece of p*** - so why doesn't everyone do this?

The down side is the sheer cost of it all. While the car itself is not the cheapest, it's not the most expensive either, but parts! Wow, here in France it's getting beyond a joke. Up until now I've been lucky, but even the silly little odds and sodds I've bought make me realise just how expensive belonging to this club really is...

To be fair to VW, they're not going to design an indestructible car - and then go bankrupt. I understand the principles of supply and demand, and if someone is going to pay silly money to own a VW, he's adult and can make his own decisions. However, I think sometimes people forget the real costs of car ownership.

Possibly my only serious complaint is on behalf of other people (up until now!) and that is that I think VW should get a grip and learn to honour contracts, in particular ANYTHING to do with warranty claims - if the body is under warranty for 12 years, than don't start p***** around arguing when a problem occurs - repair it and rediscover what a good reputation feels like.

end of rant!

·
Registered
24 Posts
In short, yes.

1. Defective door seals that freeze and tear in frosty conditions

2. Defective brake light switch

3. Glove box door mechanism broke after 1yr, sealed unit (Dealer quoted ?150 to repair)

4. Defective coil pack (needed replacing)

5. Alarm control unit failed after 3 yrs, ?250 to replace.

6. ASR has never worked properly to my knowledge.

7. faulty leaking rear washer unit + loss of pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car, and its still a lovely looking, fast

comfortable drive, but build quality? complete myth.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If u look on sites like www.carsurvey.org VW don't do any better than any other European car manufacter for reliability. People seem to love the nice touches that make thier cars feel more special. On the same site I couldn't find many irate owners of Japanese makes.

VWs today sell on thier reputation of over engineered cars from the 1980's. (MK 2 Golf) These days they try and balance profit margin with quality. A similar thing happened to Mercedes Benz in the mid 90's till now and have suffered reliabilty problems, they are only now turning it around.

I'll continue to buy VW as long as there are better re-sale values. Whilst I accept a German car won't be as trouble free as a Japanese car I am satisfied that they are much better than French cars.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've had my GT TDI 115 from new and it's now 4 1/2 years old but the number of things that have gone wrong with it in that time have seriously dented the prospect of my buying another and questions VW's so-called bullet proof reliability and build quality.Here is a list of what's gone wrong:-

From what I can pick up from this forum, these are all common faults not peculiar to my car.You expect all this from a Trabant, not a 4 1/2 year old VW. Before my Golf, I had a ten year old Sierra (I know, don't laugh) and hardly anything ever went wrong with it. The only saving grace on the Golf is the engine which is superb, the rest is crap in my experience.

When you combine all this with the fact that the stealers are rip-off merchants with dreadful customer service, I am well pissed off. Apologies for the rant.
...............you must have been lucky...............seen golfs' with a hell of a lot more problems than that.............

..............VW build quality is nothing like it used to be............thay are more interested in market share so the quality of the product has to suffer so that they can keep there prices keen...............

·
Registered
128 Posts

Ive had similar problems and only had mine since last august

1. . Hazard warning switch knackered too

2. I think my MAF's shagged too

3. Bloody annoying squeaks and rattles

4. Wing Mirror knob broke off!

Also must admit that when i took the door apart to replace wing mirror knob, i was surprised to see how cheaply built everything looked like the cutting of the door card etc.....

BUT..... i drove and inspected my parents 2004 Rover 25 the other day........hmmm I say no more!!..... Im a happy man.......[:D]

P.s there's that little 'something' that feels good about owning a Golf, whatever the problems so i'll let VW off... (for now...)

[:p]

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a TDI 115, 2000 model. I haven't had the problems other people have had but I have had some. I think all car manufacturers have backed off on quailty in order to compete. I have been disappointed at times but usually atrip to look at some other manufacturers offerings convinces me I'm not that bad off. There is somthing about VW's, I used to run a lot of Fords and can remember many incidences of really bad design but VW seem to always build in a logical way to repair/fix things even if it involves removing some other components to get at what you need to replace. So many cars now aren't made to be fixed and any DIY mechanic should appreciate somthing that can be repaired rather than somthing that constantly fals to pieces in your hand. The dealers are manly crap though adn really wast the reputation of the brand, VW really should look at this. In short I think I am bitten by the 'bug' I even drove the mk5 the other week and althoughi didn't expect to be impressed I was, no I'm not buying one, well not yet anyway.

Wallace

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't get me wrong, I think the Golf's a great looking car with a superb engine, it's just that I expected a whole lot more when I bought the car. I didn't expect to have the number of things go wrong with it that have. It's all well and good for the doors to sound solid when you shut them and to have nice touches here and there, but I'm afraid that doesn't cut the mustard when basics like hazard warning and brake light switches go after a few years. I would consider buying Japanese in the futur if they made a half decent hatchback like the Golf, but they don't.

·
Registered
579 Posts
can't say i can fault mine.drives nice couple of little squeaks but you expect that in any car really.they are mass produced so build quality will always differ from car to car.overall i'm pleased with it and think it's alot better than most of the bmw's i drive at work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before my Golf I had a Vauxhal Cavalier for 5 years, and apart from the usual wear and tear problems I had no complaints what so ever. In fact I didnt have half the squeaks and rattles that come from my dash board these days.

I still prfer the Golf though, and there really is no comparison between the quality feel when you're in the car, the Cav did not compete wth that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.