Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if my car is worth 4K-4.5K?

1998 (S Reg) Golf SE TDI 90BHP

5 Door

Pearlescent Atlantic Blue

120K Miles

Nearly full VW History except last 2 services which were done at Bosch approved garages.

Tuning Box (up BHP to 105-115)

18" Porsche Replica Rims (New tyres on 2 and about 5mm left on other 2)

GTI Sport Seats

Oettinger Front Lip and Side Skirts

Rear Valance sprayed in body colour.

Hella Smoked Clusters

Other minor mods:

R Pedals, New Revision Cup Holders, Optic centre console trim, Sunglass Holder,

Would say condition is fair to good but might get chipsaway bloke to come round to touch up all stone chips, and get a valeter to give it a good scrub.

Looks like the end of the MKIV road for me soon. Looking to cut back on costs since getting my property and the Golf has to go. Hopefully when circumstances are better, I will return with a A3 or MK5. I hope!

Any advice appreciated. Tried Parkers etc. but they dont price for high mileage cars.

Ray

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rams, I changed the back 2 :p Got the same ones as you. The Pilot Sports at front still have 5mm.

Anyway might sell the Porsche Rims seperatly anyway as I know they are sought after. Might get a set of Montreal 2's.

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Would have thought you could easily get 5k for it Ray, there's a couple on autotrader that start at 6k with a few less miles.

What are you thinking of buying[?][?]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wallacel, not buying anything fancy for the time being as I want to save up some money for better days. I only recently bought my first flat in London and its become a bit of a shock with all the costs involved with being home owner. Mortgage, Council Tax, Bills etc. The insurance on the Golf went up by ?200 (I use to live in Bedford). I know it doesnt sound much but when everything is added up, its a lot of outgoing costs. I don't own the Golf outright either so Im going to sell her, pay back what I owe and that will hopefully free up some much needed cash so I can save it for better things in the future.

I have a P reg MK3 Golf 1.4 as well. Its nothing special, hell it doesnt even have electric windows but it will do me for now. The other half though is learning to drive soon so we'll be putting some cash aside to get a Polo and if I have anything to do with it, it be a 1.4 16V [:)]

Like I said above, will hang around here and hopefully join back the MK4/5 or A3 clan not too far in the distant future. I know I will miss my car but its just something I need to do.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Good luck with the imminent sale Ray. I would have thought that returning it to as near stock as you can would be adventageous for you. Sell the wheels/pedal covers/rear clusters/tuning box on classifieds or e-bay, they won't actually be adding much value to the car, and they won't be noticed by your av. joe bloggs.

Quote: posted by RayBanUK on 21/07/2004 11:31:57

The other half though is learning to drive soon so we'll be putting some cash aside to get a Polo and if I have anything to do with it, it be a 1.4 16V [:)]

As for the Polo, I would have thought the top of the range TDI would be the best bet, both for fuel economy & re-sale value.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Point taken but might have to spend some money returning it to stock. I still have original rear lights but I would need to get new pedals (didnt keep my original ones), sold SE trim, need to get a front valance again etc. Thankfully still have original grille. But as a standard 90bhp you think it will fetch 4K?

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
I know how you feel, have lived in my place for a year and a half now, it is very hard. Thankfully, its getting easier now.

I think you would get 4k for yours.[;)]

·
Registered
293 Posts
My advice would be to take the tuning box and wheels off and sell that seperately. It will put alot of buyers off.

If anyones going to go for a 90bhp it'll probably be for a cheaper runaround as a second car. (might be wrong though!) Most people won't be bothered about the rims and will deffo be put off by the tuning box.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have to agree with blahblahman.

Take off the tuning box. Most people will think a 120k mile car with tuning box on will

be near the end of it's life. It's hard enough selling a high mile standard car, trust me!!

Can sell the tuning box seperately to gain more cash! Maybe worth doing the same with

the alloys, but don't ruin the look of the car. If you don't have good enough wheels to

put on to make the car look good with the bodykit, leave the porsche replica's on....or

take all the kit off and sell seperately.

Depending on how much of a rush your in, price sensibly. Autotrader has a calculator thingy

that does adjust for milage. I think this is generally a fair reflection. I had mine up for

?5250 for two weeks and got no interest at all. I have now adjusted it to a realistic price

of around ?4.7k and had more interest.

I should think you may get over 4k if you return it to stock as it's a diesel and people

seem to perceive that diesels handle mileage better, and diesels seem to be increasingly

popular.

good luck [:)]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice people. I am more and more swaying towards the idea of returning the car to stock and selling all the bits seperately especially the alloys. I know a few people on here who would be interested in the Tuning Box. Been thinking about it more and more today and I think this is probably the best way to go about it unless I can find someone who appreciates what I have done with the car and want to buy it as a whole.

Not in a massive rush to sell it (its due for its MOT next month so will have 10 months Road Tax and 12 months MOT) so can take my time returning it back to stock again.

Anyone here have experience of taking off sideskirts? Want to know if it hard to take off. Guys, keep an eye out on the Classified as I may be selling a few bits.

PS is it me or do all of us find it hard to part with our pride and joy come sell time?

Ray

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote: posted by RayBanUK on 21/07/2004 16:21:54

PS is it me or do all of us find it hard to part with our pride and joy come sell time?

Ray

Know what you mean.

Went for a final spin in mine the other day before parking

it up off road. Its such a nice car in comparison to the one

I bought (306 td) That's why I flat refused the dealers cruddy

offers. Unfortunately though you have to take into account the

fact that potential purchasers don't know how well you've looked

after it, so your never going to get what it's actually worth.

Sorry mate, no idea about side skirts. Are they bonded or screwed

on?

·
Registered
796 Posts
hi rayban, don't mean to hijack your thread but if you're interested I could possibly be interested in your wheels, I'm looking for some 18s at the mo... I have le castellets on my bora for a possible swap deal with cash your way if you like

got any pics of your motor with the wheels on?

thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HornetRider, theres pics of my car from the link in my signature. I ideally want to get a set of Montreal 1 or 2's to put on the car. Im trying to return it to as OEM asd possible. Will be selling 18" Porsche Replicas seperatly. I got 2 brand new tyres on them so will be looking for about ?600-?700 for them.

·
Registered
796 Posts
thats a very nice motor there mr rayban, and I do like those wheels. fair enough returning it to OEM, but my 16" le castellets are nearly OEM, they are on a Bora!!

anyway, if you change your mind my contact details are in the classifieds where I've advertised my VR6, and who knows I may take those wheels off you when you get around to selling them anyway!

cheers

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry what I meant to say is OEM Golf. I know the le castellets are OEM Bora wheels but I just wanted to return it standard Golf alloys. Going to start stripping bits in the next few weeks, got to take off body kit first and then get some alloys before I can take the 18's off for sale.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Those porka replica's are really nice.

Tried to buy some for mine when I had it but the seller sold em to someone else.

Look really good on a lowered car.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It wasnt from the classifieds (some guy with a yellow Beetle) here was it, cos I was the one who bought them!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I might have been! The guy did have a beetle!

The email exchange fizzled out in the end even though I thought we had

agreed on a price etc. Oh well, wasn't all that bothered really and

probably a good thing in the end!

BTW, just as a hint when selling your car, I put mine in autotrader (?15 for

two weeks web ad) at a higher price than it was worth then proceeded to drop

the price until I got enough interest. Sold it last night for ?4.5k which is

much better than the ?4k the dealers were offering. Got quite a lot of interest

in the end when the ad was pegged at ?4695. May be worth you trying this with

yours when the time comes. You can change the price and description of the ad

as often as you want and it costs no extra.

[:)]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts