Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to have an Ipod connected to the headunit (maybe something like an Ice-link jobbie) but also have the standard 6 disc changer operable aswell? If it's not possible with the standard headunit, are there any after market ones that will take the 6 disc changer and and Ipod inputs together?

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
hey mate. you could use your VW stereo and have the CD changer going
into that then use a Dension Ice-Link kit to play your Ipod. This
sends the signal into the stereo through the aerial and then you tune
the station into a certain frequency (around 88.4Mhz) and you can hear
the Ipod. You also need to supply the Dension unit with power
obviously but its really easy to do and probs your best bet!!!!

Andy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Vw now do an official Ipod link for the Golf - it connects just like a changer and fully functional from the head unit - Gamma, Beta or MFD. They are ebay at the moment for about ?90.00 and if you have the single in dash CD player you can use the Select button to choose between the Cd and the Ipod.

IMHO i would go for a Phatbox - they make searching for tracks far easier but they are not portable which is the down side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im in the same boat as Luke. I would rather keep my OEM stereo and be able to use the cd changer and the ipod. As i have the Gamma tape player i would want the option to play a cd aswell as use ipod.

I have come across this one it says can use cd changer, however it says it installs via the cd changer port? I will ask the seller to confirm its possible to still use the changer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-IPOD-Adapter-link-VW-Golf-Passat-GAMMA-BETA_W0QQitemZ150106195181QQihZ005QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
918 Posts
This has been covered in the ICE forum.

The answer in No. You can't plug in both an i-pod and a 6 disc changer into the factory units.

You can run a single disc and plug an i-pod in to the changer port (the same way you can run an in dash single cd and boot / glovebox mounted 6 disc changer) and control the i-pod through the head unit.

If you want to keep your changer and run an i-pod you'll need to use a radiowave kit that transmits the signal using FM signals. The downsides of this is you have no head unit control of the i-pod and you loose the quality of the playback.

If you want to have CD and i-pod controlled through the factoey head unit you need to swap the changer for a single disc player.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I stand corrected.  My only thought was how do you switch between changer and i-pod but that was answered in the thread.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi,

The answer is yes... but not cheaply.

As while as the IceLink, Dension also provide the Gateway. The Gateway 400 model allows the connection and control of an iPod, USB device and a CD changer.

Clicky. RRP is ?180. [+o(]

HTH
I have a gateway 400 attached to my MFD, I've had it months now. It has a switch to move between iPod and CDC, however since I've had it I've not used the CD once. I was so adamant about keeping the CD changer and I've not used it at all!!!! Fabulous piece of kit.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have a gateway 400 attached to my MFD, I've had it months now. It has a switch to move between iPod and CDC, however since I've had it I've not used the CD once. I was so adamant about keeping the CD changer and I've not used it at all!!!! Fabulous piece of kit.
Until now, I've been of the opinion that if I'm going to pay ?150 (for the Gateway 300), then I may as well spend the extra ?30 (for the Gateway 400) and have the option of the CD changer port switch.

In practise I guess I'll find the same as yourself where I end up not using the CD changer port switch.

I plan to fit a Gateway unit later this year and take the opportunity to fit the satelite receiver for the MFD in a better location (it's tucked away in the passenger foot well at the mo.).

Thanks for the helpful feedback khutula,

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Was it simple to install mate? It looks like i will be buying this kit as well.

Where did you place the ipod?

Just saw your reply on the other thread [:O]
Word of warning, mine has developed a fault BUT I think it is just loose cabling or an earthing problem - the supplier has , I rushed the install a little

However I will drop a picture on as soon as I get around to it..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts