Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Bought my first mk4 in Janurary this year and for £3400.00. i admit i rushed into buying it and i think i paid a little too much for it. Lesson learned and it wont happen again.

Now, im trying to sell it as im want a PD130 as insurance isnt too bad on it and cheaper to run.

I was hoping to get as close as i can to £3000.00 for it. This year i have spent 500-600 on it replacing the clutch and cat, 4 new tyres etc.

I listed it on eBay for £3200.00 then if i dont get sniffs ill drop the price.

So far its had nothing, 70 odd views and no watchers no nothing.

I have listed it on my friends facebook account and someone commented "your havin a laugh arent ya" which made me wonder.

I think i know deep down that im going to be extremely lucky to get £3000+ for it but can anyone give me an idea on how much i should be listing it for?

This is the link to the eBay add.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks a lovely car, but it is a bit expensive.

By listing it the way you have, folks can only bid £3200 or more.

You need to change it to either asking for offers (you can accept or refuse them), or you need to list it as a straight auction, with a lower starting price to get things going. You can always put a reserve in if you want to.

But a 1.6 for £3200 OR MORE will put folks off straightaway.

Good luck[:D]

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate [Y]

I did realise this when i listed it.

it cost £8 to list it in the first place, then when i tried to edit it, i put £2500.00 starting bid and £3000 reserve and it wanted 7.99 to edit it :/

i do totally agree though, ill have a play see if i can change the price without incurring more charges [Y]

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I think you are asking a bit too much, ?2500 would be more realistic. Starting the auction at the price you want to sell it for is not the way to go, the eBay mentality is to want a bargain, a starting bid of ?3200 is not a bargain, people are much more likely to bid if you start it at ?1000 and put a reserve, the fees will be a little bit higher but you are more likely to sell the car. Have a look at what similar cars are going for on autotrader, it might give you a better idea of how much to price it at. It's human nature to want as much cash as possible but to sell you need to be more realistic in this economic climate, times are tough out there and people are reluctant to part with their cash.

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are asking a bit too much, £2500 would be more realistic. Starting the auction at the price you want to sell it for is not the way to go, the eBay mentality is to want a bargain, a starting bid of £3200 is not a bargain, people are much more likely to bid if you start it at £1000 and put a reserve, the fees will be a little bit higher but you are more likely to sell the car. Have a look at what similar cars are going for on autotrader, it might give you a better idea of how much to price it at. It's human nature to want as much cash as possible but to sell you need to be more realistic in this economic climate, times are tough out there and people are reluctant to part with their cash.
cheers mate,

i looked at some and theres some 2002/2003 1.6's going for around £4000.00 (traders mainly) and yet there is some for around £1500.

yeah true about people looking for bargains, i think im just gonna pay the 7.99, lower the starting bid and put a reserve on it.

hopefully then this will give me an idea of how much people are willing to pay even if it doesnt sell for the reserve price.

i would be totally gutted if i only got £2500.00 for it but then again ive learnt my lesson i suppose.

Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think you did a big mistake buying a 1.6 for that amount.. but we all make bag decisions from time to time, I don't think your going to see 2500 im sorry to say it, your best bet is autotrader if you want alot for it, in reality i think its worth 2200 max,, the 1.6 is probably the worst golf made for fuel economy .. i should know i own one lol

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i paid the extra and i lowered starting bid to 1800, and stuck a reserve on it.

now within 12 hours ive got a few watchers so definately more attractive to potential buyers.

I think you did a big mistake buying a 1.6 for that amount.. but we all make bag decisions from time to time, I don't think your going to see 2500 im sorry to say it, your best bet is autotrader if you want alot for it, in reality i think its worth 2200 max,, the 1.6 is probably the worst golf made for fuel economy .. i should know i own one lol
I know i did mate but heh im only 19, sure as hell wont happen again and ive learnt so much from this forum that when i go to look at another mk4 ill know what im looking for and how much things are worth.

it would kill me to sell for £2200 but im not in any rush so im gonna keep trying for £2500+. See what happens [Y]

·
Registered
3 Posts
ebay tips above are on the money!! i normally use different colors and fonts to highlight the main features and any work that has been carried out/services etc.

have you tried listing on pistonheads mate?? its very popular and im pretty sure u can place an advert with 3 picturews for free!! [<:eek:)]

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ebay tips above are on the money!! i normally use different colors and fonts to highlight the main features and any work that has been carried out/services etc.

have you tried listing on pistonheads mate?? its very popular and im pretty sure You can place an advert with 3 picturews for free!!
Cheers man, i tried PH but its changed now, to list a car it costs 9.99 for 30 days, they have removed the free adverts [:(]

had a guy ring me the other day, guessing he buys cars cheap and sells them on or something, offered me 1500 haha [cry]

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's worth 2700 atleast, i hate the way this forum puts a bad spin on the 1.6. Its a bloody good car fact.
i agree mate its a cracking car!

i would be over the moon if i could get 2700 for it at the moment though, its as though people are laughing at me when i say im looking for £2800+ [:(]

·
LordAndy
1,026 Posts
It's worth 2700 atleast, i hate the way this forum puts a bad spin on the 1.6. Its a bloody good car fact.

i would be over the moon if i could get 2700 for it at the moment though, its as though people are laughing at me when i say im looking for £2800+
Sorry to disappoint but its sure as hell not worth £2700. Personally if i was looking for one i wouldn't want to pay over £2000 but that might just be me. Just learn from it mate, i made the mistake of rushing to buy an mk5 as my first car last year and im struggling to sell it at a decent price now :(

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

i would be over the moon if i could get 2700 for it at the moment though, its as though people are laughing at me when i say im looking for £2800+
Sorry to disappoint but its sure as hell not worth £2700. Personally if i was looking for one i wouldn't want to pay over £2000 but that might just be me. Just learn from it mate, i made the mistake of rushing to buy an mk5 as my first car last year and im struggling to sell it at a decent price now :(
got 4 days left on ebay with 10 people watching so ill see how that goes, if i dont get the miracle im looking for ill get back on ebay and pistonheads with bit lower price i think.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The auction ends in 4 days but you won't release the car until October? I think thats putting people off as well! Your asking price is a bit ott but most mk 4 golfs are still!

Good luck with the sale though!

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The auction ends in 4 days but you won't release the car until October? I think thats putting people off as well! Your asking price is a bit ott but most mk 4 golfs are still! Good luck with the sale though!
Yeah very true, tbh it would put me off so made abit of a bumder there.

its a right pain in the arse because im 20 my no claims are pretty valuable so need to make sure i get my 2nd year ncb before i can sell it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If your getting another car though, you can surely transfer the policy onto your new car from that one? Or will you not be getting a car straight away? If not, would it not be worth paying the policy off for the year? It's only a few weeks payment & I think you get a year to use your ncb.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts