Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am 17 and paying ?1900 on direct line and they wont let me have any other mods till i am 21.
but i have found on YES car insurance fully comp with alloys and spoiler and seats for ?2200,?
is this any good or can i do better ?
the maddest one i found was ?7000 lol its unbelieveable
lex

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Try www.quinn-direct.com I'm with them, but not sure about the cover on the mainland. As long as you delcare it, they are cosmetic mod friendly

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i was with quinn and had very cheap cover with them. my 1.2 1998 R reg clio was quoted as ?700ish 3rdparty T&T with 0ncb , 19years old and with named driving experience.

got the golf before the policy ran out, had 7months remaining and had to pay an extra ?323 full comp so brought the policy up to just over 1k

not bad i thought.

reason not with them now is they wont insure me for a leon 130tdi se so had to change to rac.

incidently renewal with quinn was ?960 now with 1yr ncb and 20years old now. rac was ?1008 and for ?48 i can get a better car.

not sure about mods with quinn but certainly give them a try, also try rac as i find them very good on price and their quotations are very in depth

·
Registered
320 Posts
Have you tried Marks & Spencer?

I'm with them - 19 Years Old, Driving since 17 - Took a new policy with them when I got my new car a couple of months ago.

1.9 GT TDI 115 at ?700 a year.

Craig.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have you tried Marks & Spencer?

I'm with them - 19 Years Old, Driving since 17 - Took a new policy with them when I got my new car a couple of months ago.

1.9 GT TDI 115 at ?700 a year.

Craig.
That's a very good price for a 19 year old. Is that fully comp or tpft?

·
Registered
322 Posts
m & s wants ?1600 off me for mine on fully comp!! im 22 with 3yr ncb!!

insurance like women we will never understand it!!

although the lass on the fone for m & s sounded fit!! lol!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Wot about Greenlight? i believe there is a guy on this board who works for them and deals with our policys. I plan to change to them when my policy is up for renewal as they allow BHP increasing mods, whereas Quinn doesn't

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wot about Greenlight? i believe there is a guy on this board who works for them and deals with our policys. I plan to change to them when my policy is up for renewal as they allow BHP increasing mods, whereas Quinn doesn't
i dont think that greenlight insure 17 year olds,

well to save me money i have stayed with direct line but on my mums insurance for ?600 and so no mods till next year and the cost before was ridiculous but at my 18th bday they said i can still have 1 full years no claims if i dont crash because i was with them for half a year on my own and swaping, so thats all good

lex

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
m & s wants ?1600 off me for mine on fully comp!! im 22 with 3yr ncb!!

insurance like women we will never understand it!!

although the lass on the fone for m & s sounded fit!! lol!
with quinn direct was all sexy voiced irish lasses

·
Registered
14 Posts
not sure if someone already said this but try going with your parents/sisters/brothers (try to avoid your borther kinda beats the point lol)

if you have a female or a male with no claims bonus on your insurance as a second driver or them as main and you as second YOU WILL SAVE THOUSANDS!!

i got quoted ?3400 when i was 17 on my insurance for my golf, [:'(] but now its gone down to ?2800 (as i am now 18) but thats still way to high for me so instead i put m sister as main driver and me as second and i got t for ?900!!! [Y]oh those prices are all fully comp

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they only allow mods if you are over 25 [:(]
and even if my dad is the policy holder he still cant have mods becuase of having a 17 year old on the policy
its annoying?
they let me have leather interior tho
lex

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah but 3rd party FnT is no good for me becuase most places wont insure you when you car is worth more than ?5000 grand
and its too much of a loss if i roll it round a corner or something like that
i had a quote from direct line ?1800 on my own fully comp and on Yes ?2200 all mods declared but thats too? much for me to pay really
but im happy with no major mods on my dads insurance for ?1000
i might still change again is i find the right deal
lex

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Your car is worth more than 5k? Go with ecarinsurance.com

I'm with them, along with 2 mates from work and my brother. My brother is 20, 1 year licence, 0NCB, 2 non fault accidents and is running a 1.8 16v Clio with suspension mods for 1k.

Very good for a car that is stupid quick for such a new driver!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quinn Direct Insurance are mod happy lol. I just gave them a ring.

They wont charge you for any cosmetic modifications, as long as they dont increase Performance they dont care! her words!

Ive just signed up for a new policy with them, and im not looking 2 get any Performance mods in the future hence, its all good 4 me!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi mate,

I have had the same problems as you...I had a 1.6 at 17 and jus changed to a TDi 130. I found that insuring with Direct line as a named driver on my dad's policy meant that I get the insurance for 500 quid a year plus direct line do actually honour your current no claims bonus/give you further no claims bonus even as a named driver!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im a named driver at ?1000 and it only a bloody 1.4, and the no claims as a named driver onlly works if you take out a policy with direct line yoursewlf in the future, and they dont let mods till your 25 i was allowed my seats and thats about it,
have you tryed to delcare any mods with them as you dad is the policy holder?
cheers?
lex

1 - 20 of 31 Posts