Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of a friend might be able to get a mk2 3dr gti rolling car in deep green has everything other then running gear, so going to try and do a deal to get the mk2 and in the summer put both cars into the unit a crack on with converting the mk2 into a turbo, what do you think? imo the mk2 is the best golf to date.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Mk2 is the best gti by miles, im putting a 1.8T into mine, its not hard to do if you pick the right engine etc.

theres a few ways of doing it depending on your budget and skills, im going for the simple method with cable clutch and throttle.

have a think about your turbo options tho, K03 hybrids are on the market now that will pull the same peak power as a K04 but spool quicker and dont need a new manifold etc, plus space is at a premium down the back of one of those blocks in a mk2, smaller turbo, easier fitment.

Im going with a hybirid K03, im aiming for a sub 13.5 quarter mile time, as close to 13 as I can get.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Do it, it'll be a laugh.

I've just done a Mk3 with a 20v turbo, and its really fun to drive.

I love the looks on peoples faces, in their 20k cars, when an old P reg Golf blasts past them.

Are you going to go 20v, or are you thinking something else eg turbo'd 9A,ABF or maybe VR6?

·
Registered
500 Posts
i have a good box for a mk2 20v if anyone needs one, will need to swap to cable change shifter which i have.

is a seat box that comes with the adaptor to run a cable clutch on a hdraulic clutch box.
is it 5 or 6 speed, and do you know what code it is eg CDA, DBZ and 02A, 02J etc?

·
Registered
500 Posts
crikey, couldn't tell you off hand, bought it for my rallye rep mk2 20vt project, sold the shell and the bam lump and saw the gearbox yesterday i forgot i had.
You've either got a very messy house, or a massive garage, if you can miss a gearbox. LOL.

The gearbox I've got in my Mk3 is a 5 speed, and could do with a 6, but don't want to go for an 02M as its too big, really want an 6 speed 02S, but their hard to find, and mega expensive

Last resort would to change a couple of ratios(ie longer 5th) in the box I've got.

So just thought I'd ask in case the box you have has better ratios.

·
has been
7,414 Posts
it's at the unit next to an agu lump, rs turbo engine, 400bhp 20vt set up for a mk2, 3 zetec engines, another seat box, 3 polo g40 engines and an 02m 4wd box among other things.

i think it has good ratios but i'll check - having swapped my 5 speed in the bora for a 6 speed i'd be cautios of doing it again but it depends on your set up i guess, the 5 speed suited my k04 set up alot better than the 6 speed does.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
ahh all you lot want to do it too... ill think ill drop a mapped up hybrid TDI in 1 now!

V tech mini 1st!
Brothers doing this right now miglia spec racer, but with the 1.8 Type R VTEC engine and direct port Nos. Ive got a 1380cc E45 supercharger fitted on mine [:D] 142bhp at the wheels!

·
Registered
500 Posts
it's at the unit next to an agu lump, rs turbo engine, 400bhp 20vt set up for a mk2, 3 zetec engines, another seat box, 3 polo g40 engines and an 02m 4wd box among other things.

i think it has good ratios but i'll check - having swapped my 5 speed in the bora for a 6 speed i'd be cautios of doing it again but it depends on your set up i guess, the 5 speed suited my k04 set up alot better than the 6 speed does.
Ok, with all that lot lying about I'll let you off for missing the seat box. LOL.

I hear what you're saying about the 6 speed.

I just feel that the box I've got just now(02J/DBZ) 4th and 5th are too close, reduced revs on motorway cruising would be nice.

So I guess I could get away with just a longer 5th, or a different final drive.

I believe the box out of a Seat Ibiza Cupra(02J/EDT) would be good as it has a different final drive ie 3.389 vs 3.684 in my box.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
A little bit of encouragement for you all, a mk2 golf only needs 262 BHP to have the same power to weight as an audi RS4

so thats the ballpark your playing in with a mapped bam engine in a mk2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts