Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have a garage to put the car in at night(bummer)[:(]

Bloody winter is here and hate having to get up earlier in the morning's to scrape the windows.

doe's anyone know if you can get a vw windscreen cover?or is it a trip to halfraud's?

·
Registered
423 Posts
You have Global Climate Change to thank for such a small amount of scraping.I remember the days you had to dig your way to the car!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
-3 degrees in Ashford this morning, thankfull for the old ?800 Mondeo's heated front screen, unlike my ?23k Golf sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Don't have a garage to put the car in at night(bummer)[:(]

Bloody winter is here and hate having to get up earlier in the morning's to scrape the windows.

doe's anyone know if you can get a vw winscreen cover?or is it a trip to halfraud's?
Believe me, I have experienced some bad, bad winters in 50 years of driving and so might I suggest that perhaps you park the wipers in their 'service' position and then place some Newspaper underneath them or better still a piece of old bedding/sheets cut to size that can be placed over the width of the screen and then tucked in to the doors prior to closing (this might damage the rubber surround, I suppose).

There are some proprietary products (even half a potoato, so I've been told) that can be wiped over the windscreen glass last thing at night which will ameliorate the quite heavy frosts forming, or at least keep their deposits soft.

In the worst winters that I have know, and when I was at work and where temps were down, sometimes, to nearly -14F I have covered three quarters of the top of the car with old bed sheets such that they cover the glass areas at the side and at the front - not worrying about the rear heated window. This sheet could then be whipped off and hung over a clothes line during the day where sometimes it remained stiff with unmelted frost/water.

I remember that there are/were plastic windscreen covers made, which could placed across the windscreen and then tucked in when closing the front doors.

That's my two pennyworth for what it is worth!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes but isn't de icer bad for your paint work?
Apparentley so, nor is it good for rubbers (the ones around the windows, not the ones in your wallets) but that could be an old wives tale.

Rainex or simular helps a little, I hardly have to scrape, but do use a little luke warm water.

My 2p

Carl

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yes but isn't de icer bad for your paint work?
Apparentley so, nor is it good for rubbers (the ones around the windows, not the ones in your wallets) but that could be an old wives tale.
Can ayone else confirm if de-icer is indeed bad for paintwork? - I've often wondered this but never known for sure. What does it do? (to paint, not ice!)

And what about rubbers aroound windows, cant really avoid getting it on there can you! Does it affect windscreen wiper rubber too?

·
Registered
621 Posts
opps[:$], PC has gone mental.

I'm not 100% sure that de-icer is infact not good for paint or rubber, it's only what I've heard over the years from varrious source's, friends,relatives forums etc...

Personally I don't use the stuff.

Carl

·
Registered
530 Posts
there IS a silvery blanket type thing availabe that goes over your windowscreen and is held in place by the doors. I had one for my old car, they did the job but were a pain to put in place.

Cheers

Noel

·
Registered
906 Posts
Dont scrape..............use de icer the windscreens are too soft these days and cause scratching very easy............
I have seen deicer re freeze and was even worse to scrape off!!!! Only time i have used de icer was for un freezing a lock on my mk3 golf.

Can you park the car closer to a building, that way you can give the car some protection and if it does have some ice on it, less scraping time.

Tam

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I park the car as close as poss to the side of the house,help's a little but not enough,so some say don't scrape the windows because it scratches the glass,and other's say don't use de-icer as it's not good for the paint work!so which one is the best?[:cool:]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Us guys down south can't identify with your problem, Since winters down here are just wet & foggy.Snow lasts 10 seconds. Just doesn't feel christmasy anymore!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use to drive a focus and it must be said i am very dissapointed with the Golf when it comes to winter equipment. The focus came with heated front windscreen which was fantastic in icy conditions, it took literally 1-2 mionutes to completly de frost and de mist. The windscreen on the golf takes a long period of time to actually de mist, and de frost, well thats what the old deicer fluid is for, have to get cold now standing outside scraping away in a morning.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
For the past couple of nights I have tried a couple of bits of cardboard on the wondscreen and rear window. They look really tacky but have worked well with no wind to blow them off.

I find that my car demists pretty quickly TBH but Ford heated screens do seem to be the best.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used to have a plastic car cover that was excellent. It covers the top half of the car and has 4 plastic hooks that go under each wheel arch. It covers all the windows and mirrors. It takes 30 seconds to put on and when you take it off there is no ice on any of the windows. I am looking for one after a week of scraping the front window (inside and out!)

I find the best thing to use in the morning is warm (not boiling) water in the kettle. Shift the ice a treat and you can do all the windows with very little water.

My 2 penneth

T

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I park the car as close as poss to the side of the house,help's a little but not enough,so some say don't scrape the windows because it scratches the glass,and other's say don't use de-icer as it's not good for the paint work!so which one is the best?[:cool:]
From my experience, as an industrial polmer chemist and Paint analyst I would think that the solvents comprising most de-icers would have practically no effect on car paintwork especially at the surface temperatures in which they are supposed to be used i.e. less than, say, 2 degrees celcius or well below this.

Anyway, they should be sprayed on in just sufficient quantities to be absorbed by the frost/ice and not such that is flows in excess all over the place. I have never experienced any paint defects on my car's paintwork over a lifetime of driving other than to say that, in general, they are not very effective IMHO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts