Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
NIce looking, yep, great sounding, yep, evocative , yep, great engineering.........?? Not so sure. Of all the latin exotics, maserratis are the worst for build and reliability by a long shot. OK, it certainly looks better build than the old biturbos (they were a mare!) , but I'm not sure they are up there yet.

Better engineering for 30k, well yep the 2 you mentioned, but how bout a 996, (I looked at a mint w plate carrera 2 for only 32k at a dealer with 21k miles), or a near new Boxster s.

I agree it looks like lot for the money, but I think running costs would be horrific on one!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep - fair point, I could have worded that better. Build however is actually very good on the 3200. Engineering, whilst not the best is also right up there. This is a Ferrari engineered lump - and they are hardly shabby.

The old bi-turbos were sheds, but I just have a weak spot for all Maserati's so Iam slowly talking myself into it.....even though I hear lots of horror stories (like a ?16k engine rebuild after 20k!!)

But its one of those things I have to get out of my system!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I dont think the 3.2ltr V8 is a ferrari built lump, the 4.0ltr V8 in the latest model is a detuned version of the ferrari 360 engine though.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
My favourite garage that [:D] the best bit is when you go in the ferrari show rom the sales people barely look up at you and just ignore you - fantastic.

The masser is a nice looking car but I agree with Henry and think only the later cars have the detuned ferrari engine.

J.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I love most Italian cars, but couldnt bring myself to buy one with my own cash

?30k would buy some kind of Porsche for me

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Me to Mob, (I wsh I had gone for the 96 after all!!)

But hey, they are rare, and look awesome.

Mind you, Tom, just read your "mare" post on the break in. Will the maser be any safer?? If not it may be worth checking the availability of glass etc for it, cos if it did get done, you wouldn't want it off the road for ages? I have an aprilia bike, and waited over 6 weeks for an oil filter for it (realy!!) last year!! Italy closes in July /August and parts can be a real mare.

God luck with it though, there certainly wont be many in the same car park thats for sure!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a good point, after yesterday I dont think this is on the cards anymore, I dont want to stand out anymore!

When the R32 got done the first time they didnt have the right glass for that! It is a special colour in the R, and its only just arrived in the UK!!

Iam thinking Audi of some sort, S4 or RS4 stealth wagon.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My 18T is a stealth wagon, although its bright red to start with. Difficult to spott he mods though, all powder coated konis etc so it looks stock. Only 17 inch BBS look like oem options. I did it for the same reasons, so I aint so worried about keaving it everywhere i go.

It really does pee you off though that you cant own the car you want just cos of some toad doing it over. Happy hunting, (for car and the toads that did it!!)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I see most 30k+ cars and a lot of the time i'll stare at them and think, nice car, like I do when I see an m3, boxster, 911, s4, 350z, r32 etc but when I see a Maserati I'm just not interested. I'm not really sure why. they just don't do anything for me. If it was me I would probably go for a boxster.

The S4 is a nice car tho, i'd like to drive the saloon version as I drove the cabriolet S4 for a couple of hours a month ago and wasn't that impressed with it. Performance, brake and gear s election wise.

p.s Then when the RS3 comes out you will want to get that

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote: posted by Andrew on 25/05/2004 13:14:30

I see most 30k+ cars and a lot of the time i'll stare at them and think, nice car, like I do when I see an m3, boxster, 911, s4, 350z, r32 etc but when I see a Maserati I'm just not interested. I'm not really sure why. they just don't do anything for me. If it was me I would probably go for a boxster.

Thats the EXACT reason I want one!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I pass one of those most days on the way to work.

I must admit I really don't like the rear light cluster arrangement, but i'm sure the engine more than makes up for that [!]. And yes, as you say Tom, it doesn't really stand out or make you double take when you see one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I came out of our local pub the other night, there was a soft top Mazza parked right by the door to come out the pub and it looked fantastic with its roof off. I was also in the Boxster 550 with the roof off not far from it, but I bet the Mazza had a lot more people look it it because mine is just another Boxster and the Mazza is well an Italian muscle car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quote: posted by simch on 30/05/2004 00:00:36

Sure it werent a soft top Mazda!??

No it was definately one of these "Maserati Spyder"[^]

Posted Image

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
My Dad talks about getting one every now and then, they do have a certain something. Engine note is wonderful, very baby Ferrari. However Im not so keen on those looks, be it boomerang lights or the newer, more boring style...this on the other hand I would like

Posted Image

1 - 19 of 19 Posts