Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or are they (in general, there will always been exceptions) getting to the point now where they're going to require tlc far in excess of their value?

Reason for the question.. I could be looking for a new daily and, if I am, a mk4 V6 4motion could be on my list.
But reliability is king.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,929 Posts
You'll probably now be able to determine their quality by the huge variance in price. There are plenty of super cheap ones but the more expensive ones will likely have a better history. They are all likely to be tired though.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Imo a mk4 is viable if you're happy to expect work needing done as soon as you get it.

Sure there are a few enthusiast owned ones for sale, which may be good to go, but in general it's looking like the majority of them are owned by people who wanted a cheap car and haven't bothered with maintenance.

In the case of the V6 4mo, I wouldn't be worried about engine reliability, unless there's any hint of chain noise from it (chains are an engine out job). I would be worried about the state of the Haldex system though, I can't imagine a Haldex service is something the majority of owners have thought about (I could be wrong though).

Various bushings, rubber lines, hoses, plastic parts etc. are all going to need changing now, if they haven't already been done. They are just at that age now where they need some TLC.

On the plus side, they are very unlikely to lose any more value going forward, so keep it nice and you can't lose money on it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll probably now be able to determine their quality by the huge variance in price. There are plenty of super cheap ones but the more expensive ones will likely have a better history. They are all likely to be tired though.
I'd have £3k... it's either a V6 Mk4, something like a Mk5 GTI or... dunno... excellent mechanically is a must, minor cosmetics aren't an issue as long as they're not rusty and are solid underneath.
My A5 is busted and it's fate (and whether I'll be needing a replacement) will be decided when I know exactly what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
MK5 will handle much better and be cheaper to run, unless it breaks.

Maybe consider an A3 2.0 TFSI, with or without Quattro. Looked after examples seem lower in value than the equivalent MK5 GTI, and imo you get more car for your money.

·
NooNoo
9,504 Posts
I'd go with a mk5 gti.

Although I have to disagree on mpg, my ED30 drinks fuel (34mpg around 70mph) whereas the mk4 can get 40+mpg at the same speed.
Plus the ED30 is 194g/km which is pretty dirty.

Paint on mk5's is fragile, mk4 paint is unbelievable!

:)

Reactions: Evil

·
Registered
51 Posts
My Mk4 is 19 years old. 180+k miles. Still used most days. I've run MK4 PD 150's for over 20 years now.

Still returns 50+ mpg and the air con still works. The body is beginning to rust and hoses do blow randomly. Not an issue as the RAC come out and just fit new oil/water/fuel pipes for free (I've had the lot), unless they can't route standard piping due to pre-formed bends. The brakes also seize due to rust, and freeing them up after Winter is an annual affair.
On the 130 and 150 PD the cam shafts and hydraulic tappets go. Got it done for 700 cash (at 113k miles) but that's low, and I was practically waving 50 quid notes under the nose of the mechanic. It's 4k at a dealer. If that's not been done (no receipts) walk away. At this age, you can expect to DIY on it. Door locks, rear wiper seals, rear air vents, drop window clasps, EGR cleaning are all on the list. All known issues with the MK4. I've fixed so many problems on my own.

Not really an endorsement on the MK4, but mine only cost me 1300 quid and that was 5 years & 70k miles ago. The thing is, all the MK4 150's I've had have had different problems, but all were known problems with the MK4 in general. It's luck. Check if the last owner sorted these problems (receipts). Pay the purchase price accordingly.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Mk4 is 19 years old. 180+k miles. Still used most days. I've run MK4 PD 150's for over 20 years now.

Still returns 50+ mpg and the air con still works. The body is beginning to rust and hoses do blow randomly. Not an issue as the RAC come out and just fit new oil/water/fuel pipes for free (I've had the lot), unless they can't route standard piping due to pre-formed bends. The brakes also seize due to rust, and freeing them up after Winter is an annual affair.
On the 130 and 150 PD the cam shafts and hydraulic tappets go. Got it done for 700 cash (at 113k miles) but that's low, and I was practically waving 50 quid notes under the nose of the mechanic. It's 4k at a dealer. If that's not been done (no receipts) walk away. At this age, you can expect to DIY on it. Door locks, rear wiper seals, rear air vents, drop window clasps, EGR cleaning are all on the list. All known issues with the MK4. I've fixed so many problems on my own.

Not really an endorsement on the MK4, but mine only cost me 1300 quid and that was 5 years & 70k miles ago. The thing is, all the MK4 150's I've had have had different problems, but all were known problems with the MK4 in general. It's luck. Check if the last owner sorted these problems (receipts). Pay the purchase price accordingly.
We've got a pd150 Mk1 Leon FR (and had a pd130 Mk4), these engines are not unknown and I do like them. A lot.‍
But I (probably🤦‍♂️ ) wouldn't get another. I'm only really interested in cars that have a little something about them these days.
I'm not far off 60 and my commute is only 15 miles each way... as long as I'm not spending more than £50 a week on fuel I don't much care.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so what's the verdict on the a5? i read you broke it, but is it dead?
Need to get the rocker cover off... That'll tell me if the cam has snapped (and where, if it has) or if one of the chains is more likely.
Depending on where the cam has snapped, if it has, or a chain has let go will give me an idea of whether there's likely to be piston/valve damage.
If that's the case I will be looking to try and sell it for £1500 spares/repair (and buy a replacement) or stick another engine in..

Nobody who has any experience with these engines has ever heard of a cam snapping. Or of a chain snapping with no warning.
But the cam-driven pulley isn't turning and there's really only 2 things that can explain that away (that I (and others) can think of).

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what engine is in it? if it is the 3.0... i'd suggest if the cam has snapped to just replace the engine, as you'll get offered next to nothing for it.
It's the early 3.0tdi... if the cam's snapped in the right place I can just change a cam.
If not I should be able to get close to £1500, possibly a little more, for the whole car if I decide not to put an engine in it.
They've dropped in value over the last few months but they're not rock bottom (yet).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Reason for the question.. I could be looking for a new daily and, if I am, a mk4 V6 4motion could be on my list.
But reliability is king.
Very reliable. Used one daily for just over 6 years and drove it to death and back. Only real thing carried out was an engine rebuild but most other stuff was pretty basic work you'd carry out on any car regardless of its age. Quite a few pov specs out there if you don't mind.

Mine died up the M4 at 70mph but I was nearly home so just drove it back!

I hear your A5 has crapped itself... :whistle:

·
Registered
V6 4Motion
953 Posts
my Mk4 v6 is still going well but have done maintenance when needed and recently had to replace injector seals and cam cover gasket, spark tube seals, etc. so the rubber aging is one thing to factor in. I mostly drive it in winter and can put the power down in the wet much better than my wife's Mk6 2.0 TFSI, so it's the Haldex more than anything that I'd miss going to a GTI. When (if?) it gets to the point I can't maintain it I really have no idea what I'd replace it with

1 - 20 of 23 Posts