Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a lack of Haynes manual for my car this is the best thing I have.. but someone mentioned that having a copy on your pooter is a big no no. Is it really that frowned upon e.g. if I went to a stealer with a printout from ETKA will I get into trouble??

I'm usually quite anal about pirate software but this doesn't seem so bad since I do actually own one of their cars.

Carlos

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
How long till this is locked LOL personally I dont think its wrong as you are not not paying for something that you could pay for if you wanted too so I dont see the problem.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
I cant see what the problem would be in owning a copy of etka?, i,m going to get one soon from the stealer, so that i can hunt for parts and part numbers myself, rather than wasting my and the stealers time!.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Who exactly are people hurting by owning this i ask myself?... And the answer is no-one!!

It's exactly as hz2921 says, what's the harm in it if it saves both you and the dealers time?? [:O]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote: posted by RJH on 31/03/2005 03:19:02

Who exactly are people hurting by owning this i ask myself?... And the answer is no-one!!

It's exactly as hz2921 says, what's the harm in it if it saves both you and the dealers time?? [:O]

here here...

people use um to get part numbers to order stuff from the stealers.

So there not loosing out.

The only thing I think would be an issue is the price list, seeing what they (Over) charge for parts maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Just to help

1) A dealer has to pay for it, and has to pay for each and every machine he has it on via a device called a Dongle

2) The software is owned by a company (there name escapes me at the moment) BUT the data in the software is from VW

3) The ETKA is a licensed software so having it on your PC infringes copyright if you have not paid the licence fee

4) And copies you may have also infringes copyright if you have not paid the licence fee

5) To use the software correctly it need to be connected to the VW uk main frame computer so prices and parts availability are accessible but to do this you need to be a registered VW parts dealer Via VW uk.

6) To view the parts it is recommended to have a 21? monitor and windows NT4 Windows 2000 and recently Windows XP have been added to the list.

This info I have is a few years old and I do know there has been some big changes in the last 6 months so some of it may have changed.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I dont know why they cant have a limited version on tinternet, where you could search for parts and then order through the dealer

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've got this software, but still havent used it. It asks your display to be set to something like 1864x1648 something silly like that.

Dont see the problem having it tbh, if it helps you out, altough yes its copyright etc, but then who hasn't downloaded a mp3, video or got or had something on their pc they didnt buy.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Jose_Golf on 31/03/2005 10:04:06

I've got this software, but still havent used it. It asks your display to be set to something like 1864x1648 something silly like that.

Dont see the problem having it tbh, if it helps you out, altough yes its copyright etc, but then who hasn't downloaded a mp3, video or got or had something on their pc they didnt buy.

1280x1024

·
Registered
637 Posts
Quote: posted by Golf V5 on 31/03/2005 07:23:43

Just to help

1) A dealer has to pay for it, and has to pay for each and every machine he has it on via a device called a Dongle

2) The software is owned by a company (there name escapes me at the moment) BUT the data in the software is from VW

3) The ETKA is a licensed software so having it on your PC infringes copyright if you have not paid the licence fee

4) And copies you may have also infringes copyright if you have not paid the licence fee

5) To use the software correctly it need to be connected to the VW uk main frame computer so prices and parts availability are accessible but to do this you need to be a registered VW parts dealer Via VW uk.

6) To view the parts it is recommended to have a 21? monitor and windows NT4 Windows 2000 and recently Windows XP have been added to the list.

This info I have is a few years old and I do know there has been some big changes in the last 6 months so some of it may have changed.

Thats about the long and short of it!!!

Basically its as bad as copyig Windows XP, Office or any other "major" program. I don't personally see the problem with people having it, its not like its sensitive info etc BUT at the same time this is what they have chosen, no cut down version etc so it is WRONG to own it!

In answer to the Euro Car Parts Q - there are other ways and means to get it Legit if you are a genuine VW supplier etc This version isn't sync'd to VW servers etc and gets sent updated pricing info manually if and when required.

Cheers

C

·
Registered
685 Posts
LOL never heard of it before? What does it stand for? It must be similar to what we have at work, drive in direct & unipart! Great stuff!

YOGi

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It used to be available on ebay aplenty seat, skoda and vw versions not seen it on for ages though.

There is no point getting it from a stealer unless they give you a dongle as well.

The ebay versions were cracked.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have a copy of it and find sooo useful when working on the car to find out how to get things apart i have even managed to get the prices working on mine to get retail to give me an idea of how much a part is going to cost me when i get to the stealers even though mine is a year out of date the prices dont seem to have changed much.

Cheers

Image2000uk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts