Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to figure out what's causing mystery battery drain I thought I'd have a look at my stereo - which was in the car when I bought it and wired by the previous owner. I'm no wiring expert but I have my suspicions either the red or blue (cirlced)
wire is keeping the stereo on even when the car is off - can anyone confirm this?

There stereo doesn't power down with the car if that helps the diagnosis. Also I'm not running an amp and it's a very standard JVC head unit.

Cheers!
Hand Networking cables Gesture Electrical wiring Finger

Circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Electrician Cable

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yellow from the car is switched, red is permanent, blue and white is signal wire. Red from the car goes to yellow on the stereo. Yellow from the car goes to red on the stereo. Blue and white from the car remains disconnected. Blue and white from the stereo goes to aerial power.

Looks like your permanent and switched need swapping, and your aerial power is currently on permanent live too, so that needs to move over to the blue and white signal from the stereo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yellow from the car is switched, red is permanent, blue and white is signal wire. Red from the car goes to yellow on the stereo. Yellow from the car goes to red on the stereo. Blue and white from the car remains disconnected. Blue and white from the stereo goes to aerial power.

Looks like your permanent and switched need swapping, and your aerial power is currently on permanent live too, so that needs to move over to the blue and white signal from the stereo.
Knew something was up with it! Tbh I might just buy a new harness and get a different stereo and o it from scratch. Got a Sony one knocking about i might put in. Any recommendations or tips on harnesses?

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my quest to figure out what's causing mystery battery drain I thought I'd have a look at my stereo - which was in the car when I bought it and wired by the previous owner. I'm no wiring expert but I have my suspicions either the red or blue (cirlced)
wire is keeping the stereo on even when the car is off - can anyone confirm this?

There stereo doesn't power down with the car if that helps the diagnosis. Also I'm not running an amp and it's a very standard JVC head unit.

Cheers!
View attachment 52288
View attachment 52287
So yellow from car to red from stereo? Or other way round? Do the wires just pull out the harness?

I've never had to muck about with wiring this much sorry.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Doesn't matter which way, just red to yellow, and yellow to red, that's all there is to it. It's one swap.

There's usually bullet connectors on aftermarket harness' that make it easy to do this.

There's a full guide on stereo installation within the how to section, it makes everything very clear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't matter which way, just red to yellow, and yellow to red, that's all there is to it. It's one swap.

There's usually bullet connectors on aftermarket harness' that make it easy to do this.

There's a full guide on stereo installation within the how to section, it makes everything very clear.
Swapped em over, will have the battery (and ANOTHER) fuse box in the car tomorrow so will see if it works 👍🏻

1 - 8 of 8 Posts