Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just installed a new steering rack, and before I connect the column to the rack I counted the number of turns left/right to make sure the steering wheel was centered. Surprisingly the steering wheel will go 4 full turns to the left and about 3 turns to the right, again disconnected from the rack. The steering wheel itself is centered to the column as can be seen

I suppose the steering rack will be the limiting factor as to how many turns it will take once connected, but it seems odd that the column shouldn't be centered as well, ie 3.5 turns left to right not 4 and 3. Is this a common thing or something I should address before connecting the rack?

Car: 2002 Golf estate, LHD

Attachments

·
Registered
11,319 Posts
we can't say if it is centered or not from the pics, as you can be out 180 degrees ( or even more and still have it showing to be in that spot) what you do is turn it until full lock the side that takes the biggest amount of turns than turn it back 3.5 turns... it should be dead center.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My steering wheel really annoys me, it’s only a minor thing but when I go to “lock” it when I switch off engine it doesn’t lock central I.e it doesn’t make the “T” shape and it’s scew wift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NooNoo
9,494 Posts
I fitted my quick rack(s) 3 times due to various issues (bad reconditioned racks).

I only remember rotating the rack "splined spigot" end to end (counting) then winding if back to mid position. Not sure I even meddled with the position of the steering wheel (it was centred when I started the work). I turned the rack end to end as I was unsure if the racks were supplied centred.
Just lifted the rack back into place and tightened the spline pinch bolt.

Then the steering rods take up the required adjustment for perfect wheel/steering wheel alignment.

I think my wheel was a few degrees off when I finally got a rack that didn't leak.
Drove around for a week, wonky, then got it aligned on a Hunter.

(y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts