Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the stupid petrol prices etc, I've given up paying any attention to how much I had spend on fuel. However, for some reason I decided to keep a track of my MPG etc (Remember I have a poverty spec 1.4S with no fancy cpu thingy!!)

Last week I filled my tank to the brim and today I done the same - I had done 178.1 miles and the tank took 29.02 litres to re-fill the tank.

Is the following correct:

29.02 litres = 6.39 gallons

6.39 gallons gave 178.1 miles, therefore

27.9 mpg [:O][:O] ??

Any of you lads that have met me know I'm under no illusion re: the capability of the 1.4 engine, I drive a fair few motorway miles usually and even about town I'm happy to cruise about, never rev the nuts off it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easy Lee, super speedy reply!!

That's not a tank, probably just under half.

I went and had at that PD115 earlier today:

Y plate

Metallic black, 3-dr

Santas with good tyres

Black Leather Recaros

a/c

winter pack

but as i say, a bit over priced at ?10.750 - it was the exact Golf I'd be after!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Think yours is good, I was flicking through the options on little mfa screen - ie clock, avg speed, mpg, miles, etc. and then I noticed the MPG.....

it was reading as 22mpg.

And that is not even pushing hard.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Jeez, I thought mine was bad at 32~ [:(]

Not been brave enough to re-calculate it recently though...

When I did, what I did to get the clearest picture was let it get totally empty (till the idiot light comes on) and fill to the top (taking note of quantity). Then go about your normal business until it empties (idiot light again). Do this a couple of times and work it out for each tank, you should get a good average from that calculation.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Quote: posted by Cat1.4 on 25/11/2004 12:51:04

Jeez, I thought mine was bad at 32~ [:(]

Not been brave enough to re-calculate it recently though...

When I did, what I did to get the clearest picture was let it get totally empty (till the idiot light comes on) and fill to the top (taking note of quantity). Then go about your normal business until it empties (idiot light again). Do this a couple of times and work it out for each tank, you should get a good average from that calculation.

Yep, thats just what ive been doing for the past few weeks!

I do alot of motorway driving as i travel back and forth from Leicester to Coventry for uni!

Recently i've been getting between 32.5 to 35mpg, average of about 33.5mpg!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by S1R SS on 24/11/2004 19:41:30

Surely the 1.4 doesn't have a tank only 60% of the size of the rest of the range? I know the tank on a 4Motion is larger, but its ?51 to fill mine up. At 82p a litre thats about 62 litres... Thus I would guess your tank is 50 litres ish, so you get more like 305 miles a tank?

Besides fuel consumption is boring, you only live once so don't worry about it. I get 22MPG when having fun, 33MPG MAX on the motorway but do I care? Niet.

·
Registered
427 Posts
For what it's worth - my missus' Lupo is a 1.4 16V (although it's the 100bhp version) and it costs her about ?27 to fill up, and that buys her about 300 miles, and she's no slouch getting around in it. Sounds like you've either got a solid lead right foot, or there's something fishy going on with your 1.4...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
a few things to consider maybe? 18" rims will affect things, heavy car the golf compared to a lupo, heavy right foot? cold weather too can reduce MPG. just somethings to add to it really. since fitting my 18's ive noticed appx 8MPG drop over the 15's that were on it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 25/11/2004 13:57:41

Quote: posted by S1R SS on 24/11/2004 19:41:30

Surely the 1.4 doesn't have a tank only 60% of the size of the rest of the range? I know the tank on a 4Motion is larger, but its ?51 to fill mine up. At 82p a litre thats about 62 litres... Thus I would guess your tank is 50 litres ish, so you get more like 305 miles a tank?

Besides fuel consumption is boring, you only live once so don't worry about it. I get 22MPG when having fun, 33MPG MAX on the motorway but do I care? Niet.

That wasn't a full tank - As I understand it, the tank is about 50 litres and takes about ?48 to fill up.

I undertsand about the wheels etc, but it still seems a bit low

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 25/11/2004 13:57:41

The regualr golf has a 55 litre tank the 4mo's and r32 have a 62 litre tank.

But Mikes right who cars about fuel consumption, I can cheer you up - taking it nice and easy I get maybe 22mpg if I am lucky. Having fun that drops a LOT LOT lower.

J.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
But to all you 1.8T/4mo/R32 owners.... you also get the fun out of it! We wouldn't mind so much if our cars could perform as well as yours can - but high 20s/low 30s mpg and no poke is just depressing [:(]

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by Viperpsych on 25/11/2004 21:04:10

I believe the 1.8t tank is approx 55-60 litres and I worked out my mpg and it's about 27mpg. Thats's not to bad,... i think?

The regular golfs fuel tank is 55 litres (all apart from the 4mo's) but they are usually bigger to allow for expension etc!

J.

·
Registered
316 Posts
my MFA shows an average MPG over about 3k of 33.2

thats a lot of motorway miles (GF lives over 80 miles away so 160 mile round trip [B)])

i have fun too tho..

i know i shouldnt but its a 16v and 16v = 4k and away!! [;)]

*opps was that the rev limiter* lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts