Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its been said on here many times that jabba's rr is not to accurate. has any one been on jabba's and then been on another with the exact same setup. just as a comparison?....

cheers..

Starry.......

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
My car recorded 233bhp on the jabba RR with less mods than it has now and it recorded 220bhp on a dastek RR. I don't think your figures will be too far out mate, my car peaks at 1.2 bar of boost and settles very quickly to 1.05/1.1bar!

How that 233bhp figure was achieved i have no idea but i can say the car drives very smoothly and has obviously been well mapped!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote: posted by MkIV Turbo on 12/11/2004 20:03:27

Oh dear! Your opening a can of worms with this one!

Make that a oil drum of snakes...............

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote: posted by Starry on 12/11/2004 19:54:54

its been said on here many times that jabba's rr is not to accurate. has any one been on jabba's and then been on another with the exact same setup. just as a comparison?....

cheers..

Starry.......

Find someones RR which is accurate but how do you prove it?

Way back when... mine was firsyt IHI'd it read 325bhp 280lbft and the week after I got it back I ran at Stealth and read the same figures within a couple..

Are either 'accurate'? They compared at the time.

Make of that what you will.

I have also been on rollers which say mine has 255bhp.. but I kinda doubted those figures.. LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bill when are you going to G FORCE,their rollers are supposed to be super accurate,used for testing gt cars etc to unsure they don't cheat on outputs.[:D]Andy

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can of worms indeed. i am very happy with the work that jabba have done and the car drives very well. i was just intrested to see if there was any wieght to the claims.

Starry....

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey,the chief,did you go to dastek uk in fife(storm enginnering).What did you think of the service ?Did Gerry do the dyno run for you?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Quote: posted by ANDYTQ on 12/11/2004 23:06:07

Bill when are you going to G FORCE,their rollers are supposed to be super accurate,used for testing gt cars etc to unsure they don't cheat on outputs.[:D]Andy

end of this month.

Should be interesting.. only at the wheels figures from them i think. (guess)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Been a few times... know Brockey there from his days at BSMotorsport... Jeff (ex AmD) set my mates G60 up there... nice set up...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by ANDYTQ on 12/11/2004 23:06:07

Testing GT cars???? sorry to go OT, but GT cars have restrictors in the inlets to restrict power - they can't cheat and if they do it's obvious.... The only people who can check the outputs of the cars are the championship organisers or the MSA and they will s elect an RR at random. RRs are used in one make competitions to make sure cars are equal - to do that, cars are checked in the same conditions on the same day.

G Force enter & race GT cars, so they'll need an RR or private access to one to set their cars up.

Back to Topic....

Accuracy of RR figures is a myth, they can be set up to a degree of accuracy, but each will differ over time/wear etc. The important thing is to measure under the same conditions - the same RR will probably give slightly different readings on the same car on different days. As someone has already mentioned the figures are almost immaterial, it's the quality of improvement that counts!

Just some of the worms......[:eek:)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
More like a pit of worms !!!!

I've only had mine run on the Bedrock RR & it puts out 172bhp/282lb, from a standard PD150.

I'm soon to have her remapped at Jabba, & will get a RR result before remapping to compair with Bedrock, but I'm also gona get another RR run at another place when remapped, poss Grahame Goode as their local to me, than add them all together & take the average figure of before & after[:D]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Mine went from 156hp std to 241hp on Jabba's RR. Its about 85hp as far as I am concerned, and I am pleased with it.

Maybe it would have been 148hp to 230hp on Stealth's or someone elses, but who cares.....???

Not me for one!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Quote: posted by Richard W on 15/11/2004 15:03:15

Accuracy of RR figures is a myth, they can be set up to a degree of accuracy, but each will differ over time/wear etc. The important thing is to measure under the same conditions - the same RR will probably give slightly different readings on the same car on different days. As someone has already mentioned the figures are almost immaterial, it's the quality of improvement that counts!

Just some of the worms......[:eek:)]

I spent a day at Dastek and was shown the technical aspects of their dyno. Gerry knows a thing or 2 about them as he has built and repaired them for years.

Their dyno is repeatable in that you can run your car on 2 different days and they guarantee accuracy within 1.5bhp, regardless of air pressure or temp. No other dyno in the world gives you that. The fans and brakes for the rollers are of a much higher spec than anything else available on the market

Plus it filters data to the tune of something like 1 part in every thousand whereas others do maybe 1 in every million. It logs the drop in power when auxiliary equipment like heater blowers for instance are switched on.

http://www.dastek.co.uk/dynos.htm

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sorry to sound picky but a dyno is more recognised as an engine test bed and will give flywheel figures. A rolling road is slightly different in that it has the capability to measure transmission losses and that's where a huge can of worms is still under the lid!!

My point is all RRs will vary to some degree so it's pointless to compare one against another, each will measure losses slightly differently... etc etc etc.

Dastek sound like a reputable company and still recognise that their machines could be up to 1.5bhp difference on different days....

Power figures could be seen as ego boosting car park boasts anyway, makes no difference what you claim, unless you're racing and on the track, results speak, not RR printouts. If you've had your car tuned and you're happy with the change then Simch has got it in one, who cares....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts