Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it the gear box where the drive shaft comes from? i need to get into it, as my speedo sensor is working and the cog that drives the sensor must be broken from the inside? is it easy to open?

·
German Engineering at its Best
682 Posts
it depends how lucky you are.

if just the shaft feeding your sensor has snapped you might be able fish it out.

if the speedo gear itself is broke or the old shaft is floating in your box its gearbox out time and then split it.

how did you test the actuall sensor?

feel free to get in touch for more info.

JJ

·
682 Posts
fair enough, that how i test them as well...[;)]

now you need a 21 or 22mm spanner ( i keep forgetting) and unscrew the shaft so you can inspect that for damage.

JJ

·
682 Posts
when you took the speed sensor off it was screwed onto another black plastik part which sits in the gearbox that has a 21 or 22mm hex head on it. screw that out of the gearbox and check it has not snapped.

the black part on the left in the picture

Posted Image

JJ

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i have all that still JJ, i atached my drill to the bottom after the bevel geared bit, im trying to look down the whole to see what i can see but just cant get in to have a look mate? any ideas

·
682 Posts
ah right, sounds like the speedo gear on the diff is slipping or has come off.

afraid to say its gearbox out time as well as then splitting the box.

basically clutch labour plus another 2-2.5 hrs for getting into the box.

pm me if you like a quote.

JJ

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what is the gear made from? sure it shouldnt break that easy, its only running a plastic bevelled cog? could low gear box oil cause this to stop working? cheers for help JJ

·
682 Posts
hi,

the gear is made from plastic.

withe shaft removed shine a light through the hole and you might be able to spot the speedo gear on your diff.

parts might come out if draining the oil depending on size.

JJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts