Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to get the waste gate chattering sound on my golf, like the scoobys and evos have, i dont want a crappy dumpvalve wooosssshhh thow, any one got any info that could help me ???? cheers!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just by replacing the air box with a performance filter will make the chattering sound louder.

Also running more boost will make it louder!

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you want chatter, disable DV.. but this is'nt advised.

If you want woosh, consider an induction kit, Carbonio, AEM, RamAir etc

chatter is BAD[:S]

i would like to get the waste gate chattering sound on my golf, like the scoobys and evos have, i dont want a crappy dumpvalve wooosssshhh thow, any one got any info that could help me ???? cheers!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
[quote user="moobturbogti"]i would like to get the waste gate chattering sound on my golf, like the scoobys and evos have, i dont want a crappy dumpvalve wooosssshhh thow, any one got any info that could help me ???? cheers![/quote]

[/quote]

[quote user="Badger5"]

I heard a while back that the 'chattering' sound is the turbine momentarily stalling. Someone on here said it, though it was a while ago. Please correct me if i'm wrong folks.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

I heard a while back that the chattering sound is the turbine momentarily stalling. Someone on here said it, though it was a while ago. Please correct me if i'm wrong folks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I believe that a diaphram dv will give you a similar sound unlike the P-Tsssssssssshh sound common with piston dv's.

Although the diaphrams tend to split after a while especially when runner high boost hence the reason for piston dv's

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've just bought a 1.8T GTI and have noticed a kind of whistling noise
during gear changes (fluttering maybe) is this the same thing and
should I be hearing it? I've also noticed the car hesitating a bit and
then it seems to pick up (during light throttle), I quite like the
sound but I thought that maybe something is wrong somewhere......

any advice greatly appreciated,

By reading some posts on the site sounds like its the diverter valve
and that it may be shot, should I be taking it back to the dealer and
getting them to exchange it for a new'un?

Thanks,

Sticky.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you have the flutter you have a non functioning DV.

Consider a Forge DV007P as a lifetime guaranteed alternative which will cope with life a lot better. Faster acting too. (less lag between gear changes)

I've just bought a 1.8T GTI and have noticed a kind of whistling noise during gear changes (fluttering maybe) is this the same thing and should I be hearing it? I've also noticed the car hesitating a bit and then it seems to pick up (during light throttle), I quite like the sound but I thought that maybe something is wrong somewhere......

any advice greatly appreciated,

By reading some posts on the site sounds like its the diverter valve and that it may be shot, should I be taking it back to the dealer and getting them to exchange it for a new'un?

Thanks,

Sticky.

·
Registered
336 Posts
to get the proper wastegate chatter don`t you need an external wastegate?

i`m sure this is unique to some turbos and i know the standard ones on the golf don`t have it.

is the chatter your on about the fluttering noise on rally cars?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
to get the proper wastegate chatter don`t you need an external wastegate?

i`m sure this is unique to some turbos and i know the standard ones on the golf don`t have it.

is the chatter your on about the fluttering noise on rally cars?
I'm pretty damn sure it is mate. The british rally-x cars make the same noise too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the flutter happening on my 1.8T, so based on this thread i've had a look at the Forge Motorsport web site.

The problem is they several valves all at about the same price, they all have the same text and all the pictures look the same but they have different product codes. Could someone tell me the difference between these??

FMDV006, FMCL007, FMCL006, FMCL007P [:^)]

Cheers

Smoshea

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I've got the flutter happening on my 1.8T, so based on this thread i've had a look at the Forge Motorsport web site.

The problem is they several valves all at about the same price, they
all have the same text and all the pictures look the same but they have
different product codes. Could someone tell me the difference between
these??

FMDV006, FMCL007, FMCL006, FMCL007P [:^)]

Cheers

Smoshea
I think the CL in the code must mean closed loop - which i'm pretty
certain means that the "dumped" air is not released to atmosphere but
returned into the intake. The DV code I think means that it is an
atmospheric "dump valve" - in that it 'dumps' the air into the
atmosphere.

I fitted mine last june (ish) and iirc, I have the FMCL007P - which I
think is the flush fit model. I know I have the flush fit job
anyway and am sure the P code is that one.

Sorry for bein' a bit vague - but i'm fairly certain i'm right.

Edit - I have the FMCL007PA that and the FMCL007P are essentially the
same except the PA model is the flush fit model with the adjustable
vacuum connection. These two are diaphragm models and the DV006
is a piston based model - I think this is right - If anyone knows
better please correct me

·
Registered
50 Posts
I spoke to Forge recently and they said if i fitted the Optimus Diaphragm Valve in reverse it would make a waste gate chatter sound rather than fitting the forge DV007P witch would make the typical woosh noise. Alos forge aredoing a 10% discount at the moment and the cost of the Optimus Valve is ?109.86 inc p+p

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is porrible but I think the reason you get that noise
is the pressure being pushed back through the
turbo Which cant be good I was messing about and go
to the engine bay go to where the d.v it the pipe that comes
from the left into the side squeeze it hard and get someone to rev your car
if you have a induction kit it will be loud but if you don't then
prop the airbox open to relese the pressure and you will get the chatter
personaly I'm board with the normal sound I wish I could get mine to do it
but Im not risking my turbo over it

·
Registered
461 Posts
Chattering from a standard turbo on a 1.8T means only one thing, a bust dump valve. Its called compressor stall and its the sound of the charge air trying to flow back against the turbo's compressor blades. Bad for the blades and bad for the shaft.

The Forge FMCL007P is the only DV I'd use, I've had it on all my 1.8Ts after trying loads of other valves. Its a superb design that won't let you down, Forge are very good at sending out free service kits for them too.

If anybody isn't sure who Badger Bill is from earlier in the thread, listen to him, he's about the most knowledgeable guy in the country when it comes to the VAG 1.8T.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts