Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking, a lot of us seem to be getting rid of our cars lately and swapping them for more economical / sensible options.

Is this just an age thing and you reach a certain age and think you'd just like a car you can get in, drive and not worry about it? Or is it more to do with the country and prices of other things, such as house prices, energy prices etc etc that are making it harder to continue with the nicer cars.

It just seems many of us are doing the same things recently. Driving the jalopy to work this morning was nice, didn't have to worry about getting it dirty, or finding a good parking space etc etc. Made the R32 seem a little silly!

So is it just me, or are a lot of you in the same boat and wondering what the fuss is with cars?

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
It's a mixture of the two reasons. A lot of members are hitting the age where we're settling down, buying houses, children, marriage etc. so we need the money.........desperately!! Personally, with the state of the economy at the moment, I'd rather not go out and spend the best part of ?20k on something that  is going to sit on my driveway, losing money when I could use that money to pay off my house! 

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I agree with Dave. I'm 35, married, with a 3 year old and one on the way. That rules out coupes and 3 doors for me. All in, my mortgage and all the insurances, council tax etc etc cost me around ?1700 per month. When I got the Golf, I did it purely because it saved me ?150 / month in tax. We were gonna change Natalie's BMW for an A4 2.0T S-line a few months back but having suffered the depreciation of around ?5000 pa with the BMW, we decided to use our savings to extend the house instead and that way, we should "gain" money rather than lose.

I'd love to have a big, comfy 5 series but realistically, its gonna cost me shedloads to buy and thats money that I could be spending on my family life instead. I want something that's comfy that I can drive all day without getting out with back pain - but its gotta be fun too.

Yes, maybe its a getting old thing but it happens to most of us. ( I even started looking at Volvos and the Zafira VXR before a blow to the head ( [;)] ) brought me back to my senses ). Its a trade-off between what we desire to drive, and what the wife tells us to [:D]

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
but having suffered the depreciation of around ?5000 pa with the BMW,
OUCH!!!!!

( I even started looking at Volvos and the Zafira VXR before a blow to the head ( [;)] ) brought me back to my senses ). Its a trade-off between what we desire to drive, and what the wife tells us to [:D]
Volvo I can understand......but a Zafira?!?!?!? What were you thinking? Shame on you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
i did the buy a people carrier thing,i used to have a 115tdi,part ex it for a vauxhall zafira sri 2.0 dti,2 years ago, it was ok nice to look at but not very fast

got 2 kids married etc,thought i would be sensible,stop messing with cars

little did i know the urge was too much,march this year went and got my current golf and im back spending too much on the car

it doesnt help when friends/family have got nice cars,audi a4 3.0 tdi quattro,polo gti,evo8,mk5 golf 2.0 tdi,civic type r

it made my zafira feel turd

i guess the car thing should wear off,but i dont know when[:cool:]

·
Registered
906 Posts
For me i am thinking of putting the anniversary up for sale next year so i can start up a business and get something older.

To me yes i would like a nice car to have but starting up a business i will need all my money in one pot.

I look at it, that i am taking a step back but will have a bigger jump forward when it works. Then maybe a R32 or new GTI

Tam

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
,part ex it for a vauxhall zafira sri 2.0 dti,2 years ago, it was ok nice to look
see ? Its not only me [:p] - I was thinking about the VXR coz it goes well. I even tried a Touran but I felt like I was a bus driver [:$]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
i it doesnt help when friends/family have got nice cars,audi a4 3.0 tdi quattro,polo gti,evo8,mk5 golf 2.0 tdi,civic type r

Agreed. There's a guy that works here ( who I've posted about before ) who earns ?10K more than me, drives a 730d and has just bought a house for ?627K [:|]. And my MD doesn't think that he must be "on the fiddle" ...[*-)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was asking because, even though I love the R32 and what it does / capable of etc, I also love driving my old clapped out diesel around. both cars have a different pull towards them.

Was getting worried as if I had to sell either, it would be the R32 and keep the old diesel!

Just a year ago I wouldn't have done that, was dreaming over cars but since I got my place, I seem to have got different priorities and the R32, as lovely as it is, stares at me and says '16k sitting here' and I worry about it constantly, worry about the kids going near it, worry about parking it, worry about it getting nicked, not so much that I lose sleep, but when kids are playing I feel I have to keep checking the car (which makes me look like a pedo looking out the window all the time!!).

With the diesel I just don't give a hoot....and it's that lazy, I don't care attitude which I seem to be falling for! Glad it's not just me!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't know... I'm 36 with a 1 year old, mortgage, "better" half, etc. With all the increases in running a car now (road tax, MOT's, petrol all going up) I wouldn't be able to afford to buy a new car, & trading in to lower running costs isn't cost effective when most garages don't want to negative-px.

So, as an Englishman's home is only his castle when his wife says so, I've come to the conclusion that it is our cars that we take time for ourselves in! There's little time to take on a hobby,etc, but so long as I'm providing for my family I allow myself to spend a little here & there on something for me.

And if the Missus complains, at the end of the day I can always say that I was prepping the car to pass on to my son!! [;)]

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
as lovely as it is, stares at me and says '16k sitting here'
Yep - I have that with the BMW - except 3 years ago, it was "?30K sitting here" and now its "?13K sitting here". Think I'm gonna lease ( or similar ) next time - it must be cheaper.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
as lovely as it is, stares at me and says '16k sitting here'
Yep - I have that with the BMW - except 3 years ago, it was "?30K sitting here" and now its "?13K sitting here". Think I'm gonna lease ( or similar ) next time - it must be cheaper.
Ouch. Maybe it's time for me to go buy some slippers. It's just my time!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Much like others have said, I think being 36 I have to concentrate my money into a mortgage etc. But since about late 20's having a new car has been less of a priority. I've had a couple of new cars in the last five years and once the initial buzz has subsided you really are driving around in a liability. One that is loosing value hand over foot and sometimes gives less pleasure than something older.

I know if you spend a lot or are prepared to put up with high running costs there are some great new cars out there but really when you are cruising along the motorway or stuck behind someone at 5mph in town as long as your motor is reliable, comfy and gives you some satisfaction what's the point with spending a hugh proportion of your salary on something new.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
i kinda lost the interest with the golf/modifying scene and decided that having ?3k sitting on the driveway (and more in insurance/tax/maintenance every year), when i could quite easily (and enjoyably) ride to work every day, was silly

we didn't NEED to sell the golf but it has free'd up more monthly cash to spend on enjoying myself more and taking up new hobbies

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
i it doesnt help when friends/family have got nice cars,audi a4 3.0 tdi quattro,polo gti,evo8,mk5 golf 2.0 tdi,civic type r

Agreed. There's a guy that works here ( who I've posted about before ) who earns ?10K more than me, drives a 730d and has just bought a house for ?627K [:|]. And my MD doesn't think that he must be "on the fiddle" ...[*-)]
Possibly, but maybe he's got a business on the side (mate of mine at work earns 25k a year on his ebay business that he runs part time after work & at weekends) or perhaps he has a huge inheritance ?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
My problem is I like nice things.  I always wanted the MKV GTI ever since I first heard that it solved all the problems of the MKIV's that i had before.  I was very close to chopping it in for a 911 a few months ago, but then realised how much it would have cost me in depreciation to own a 911.  So i am going to stick to the GTI for now, and get the Misses a Octavia estate or similar for the pending bundle of joy that is currently in the oven.  Although I can afford to upgrade the GTI, I am being sensible because other cars twice or 3 times the price are not twice or 3 times the fun/value, so their is little point in swapping.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
no inheritance - his "other" business is selling houses - uptil when he was caught out, the contact number was the mobile provided by our employer. He is the guy who had 42 days holiday upto Mid August - we only get 20 for the year - and that includes Xmas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think it is just an age thing yes, most people on the forum I'm a part of are young, free & single with no major responsibilities & a lot of them (myself included) are upgrading from the cheap, reliable, boring 1st cars to something more expensive & a lot more fun. In years to come I'm sure I'll have other more important things to spend my cash on but for the time being I'm loving my Golf while I've got the chance to

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Possibly, but maybe he's got a business on the side (mate of mine at work earns 25k a year on his ebay business that he runs part time after work & at weekends) or perhaps he has a huge inheritance ?
I had the same problem in my last Job.... I had more kids than everyone in the department, i was 10 years younger.. I was earning less money... BUT I had the biigest house (3 out of 5 could only buy flats) a 2 car family (I had the newset car) and I was always buying gadgets like TV and satnavs... Noone could get it... The fact Is i did have my own business and I was squandering capital as i was unhappy in the job... my missus also has a few rental propertiess so we had probably 40% more income..

It did cause me problem as in 4 years I never even had an inflationary pay rise... when most people did on the sly....

So what if someones got more money they dont have to tell you where its come from.. his parents might be loaded but he is quite modest about it. Its not something you shout from the trees...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts