Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you tell if a Golf is a GT TDi? Just looked at my log book and it only says Golf TDi. Does this mean I dont have a GT TDi? :(

Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
In the boot and service book there should be a sticker that will state 'TDI' then 'Highline' if its a GTI. The GT TDI was a UK only model. In Europe it was known as Highline, though in some European markets there was an official GTI TDI but our were built to different (cheaper i.e no BBS wheels or recaro's) sepecifications than those were. Only 110/115/130 AND 150'S were Highlines in UK unless they were imported or Southern Irish. The Jazz blue TDI 150 that VW UK imported before launch as a press car WAS a RHD Euro spec'd GTI TDI though. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked Parkers price guide and its listing the 150bhp as a GT TDi but its just bothering me that it only says TDi on the V5. JUst wanting to make sure I havent bought a car that isnt the model that I thought it was.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would imagine mate if it doesnt say GT TDI on the log book then..... well..... it isnt.

Cos it does on mine [:p]

But to be fair, you have got the correct rear light clusters and colour coded bumper rub strips.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I type my reg in to Confused.com for insurence its listing my car as a GT TDi. This is doing my head in lol

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Does it really matter?

As its only a trim spec, and it appears yours matches the spec. So even if it isnt GT from factory, yours was modified into a GT and advertised as one?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does it really matter?

As its only a trim spec, and it appears yours matches the spec. So even if it isnt GT from factory, yours was modified into a GT and advertised as one?
I suppose your right, was just really thinking all the insurence lines. Dont want to be paying more than I have to be.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought all ARL's were GTTDI although badged as aGTI on the rear
Its badged as a TDi (all in red) on the rear and has a chrome GTi badge on the front grill although the front badge may have been added by a revious owner.

·
Registered
915 Posts
No, the only MKIV TDi that was badged 'GTi' is the Anniversary!
Nope the 150 gttdi was badged and sold as a gti I have seen them.

Who cares what the badge says anyway, the ops car will be a gt tdi as its a 150bhp model I dont think they did these in lower trim spec.

Mine is a highline import but registered in the uk so my v5c says gt tdi I seriously wouldnt be bothered if it didnt though.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
No, the only MKIV TDi that was badged 'GTi' is the Anniversary!
Nope the 150 gttdi was badged and sold as a gti I have seen them.

Who cares what the badge says anyway, the ops car will be a gt tdi as its a 150bhp model I dont think they did these in lower trim spec.

Mine is a highline import but registered in the uk so my v5c says gt tdi I seriously wouldnt be bothered if it didnt though.
Yes many dealers changed the badges. However, VW only produced the Anniversary PD150 badged as a GTi.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Its starting to sound that VW couldnt really make up there mind what badges to stick on the rear. I'll just settle for it being a GT TDi as its the correct spec, its just the V5 that doesnt state it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts