Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to give my car a final good clean and polish, poss wax before winter
really gets a grip. Do you guys reckon its too cold to for polishing? I
know on the instructions they say it should be warm, not direct sun.
Also, is the same rule of thumb for wax? - Never actually used wax
before!

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If its too damp its hard work trying to get the polish to dry and buff to a shine, but theres no reason why you cannot polish a car over winter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wax my car throughout the year. As already said, wax can take a little longer to buff off and you have to start early, as I find condensation can start forming in the late afternoon on really cold days and then its impossible to get a great finish [:(]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I cleaned and waxed mine at 3-4 pm on Sat afternoon. It was a nightmare trying to get the wax off and I couldn't feel my fingertips[:(], so I did as much as I could then waited till early sunday morning (was quite sunny) and finished it off, then put another coat on just in case!! Nice and wet looking now!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
unless its raining, there is NEVER a bad time for detailing!

though make sure you do it before the damp of the night sets in, else the wax wont come off....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Get a decent 300 weight fleece and gortex jacket plus a cuppa and you will be fine!

Car takes longer to dry to wash it early and leave a good amount of time before waxing it or take it out for a spin (if its dry) to shake the excess water off

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Its never too bad weather to wash the car, just depends on your sanity. [:#]

I've washed her in freezing weather, & slipped over on the water as its hit the ground.[:$]

To wax, firstly its got to be dry, secondly, the best time to do it is between 11am - 2pm, when its the higher temps.

As said before, condensation hits the car about 3.30pm too, making it all very hard work...

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
yep. the only time NOT (well, you can try, but it will be difficult) to do it, is when the damp is laying, other than that. GO FOR IT!

i've washed the car when its got ice on it. had to thaw the ice with a bucket of warm water, then wash it.

are we mad?[:|]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
You can always get a long power extension and use a hair dryer or paint stripper gun (be very careful to maintain a safe distance with these, I always keep a finger at the end of the air stream to monitor temperature) to help the wax cure, I also do this with tyre dressing so help it set to a nice deep finish. You want warm air, not hot.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
You can always get a long power extension and use a hair dryer or paint stripper gun (be very careful to maintain a safe distance with these, I always keep a finger at the end of the air stream to monitor temperature) to help the wax cure, I also do this with tyre dressing so help it set to a nice deep finish. You want warm air, not hot.
Lol, I believe my neighbours must think I'm mad with the amount of time I spend washing and waxing mine, so I dread to think what your neighjbours think when you're out there on an icy day hairdryering your car! Lol

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Personally I always use Diamond Brite at this time of year...

Most of you guys have seen my car, I do like to look after it,
but when the weathers this crap, even I can't be bothered to wax my car!

Diamond Brite gives the car a good shine, u can see the water beeding
effect for months. And it's because it lasts for months
(the bottle says 6 years -yeah right!) which makes it great for using
this time of year.

Apply it onto the car, and u won't have to worry about waxing your car again thoughout the winter!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Many people on this forum advised against Diamond Brite, said it's too expensive. Did you apply it yourself? & how much was it?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Many people on this forum advised against Diamond
Brite, said it's too expensive. Did you apply it yourself? & how
much was it?
The reason people say don't get it is because dealers try and charge u
?200 for it to be applied... When in reality the stuff can be bought
for ?25 and applied to the car yourself!

It's the con of the century if u buy it from dealers!

I did a group buy for Diamond Brite earlier this year on the
forum. Must have sold over 50 kits in total, which just is
testament to the product itself.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nice one!

Is it something that's applied over the factory (delivery) wax or would that need to be stripped back?
Can you wax over Diamond Brite?
Cheers. Ro.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Well I always advise using a Clay bar to remove all surface
contaminents and waxes before using Diamond Brite. (Even brand
new cars can be caked in crap - just run your hand over the
paintwork... if it feels bumpy then u need clay bar. If it feels
smooth like a babie's bum then the paints in good nick!)

Clay bars can be bought for around ?15.

Diamond Brite kits are available for about ?25

Once applied u can apply normal wax ontop of Diamond Brite if u
wish. It won't do any harm. infact Wax will never do any harm!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Isn't Diamond Brite just another type of wax?
No, it's a sealant, totally different thing. It's a semi-permanent coating (much more so than wax, but not as shiny) that makes the paint super smooth so dirt comes off easier.

Read these:

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/paintsealant/index.htm

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/paintsealant/autoglym_lifeshine.htm

LifeShine is slightly different in that it's designed to be used in conjunction with polishing and waxing, not as a replacement. It's pretty high maintenance but the shine is quite nice. [:)]

1 - 20 of 50 Posts