Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want a new exhaust system for to increase my performance but i dont want a noisy system, the quieter the better, standard sound would suit me. is the miltek a noisy system? i want a full system including cat and down pipe.

regards rob

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Milltek exhausts are quiet, they only sound louder than stock on the V engined cars with the centre silencers removed, before I took the centre silencer out of my 4mo the standard Milltek system was only marginly noiser than stock, highly recommended.

I am pretty sure someone on here must have sound sample of a milltek on an 1.8T?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
After only one day I'd say noiser than I would like. It's not really loud but at the moment is much more boomy than I would like and drones particularly below 2000 rpm. Above 3000 rpm the noise is not so prominent for some reason and the car definitely picks up much quicker above that speed. I have some fitment issues to get resolved next week but if the noise does not improve I'll try going back to the stock rear box and see what difference that makes to sound and performance. A bit disappointing at the moment because it just sounds as if I have an exhaust with a hole in it. Oh BTW, the turbo spools much quicker now and that bit does sound good.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have only installed mine (turbo back) yesterday but it doesn't sound bad to me just louder than standard, go for it!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm really hoping that it will get quieter because at the moment I can't live with the noise. I've already fitted some extra sound deadening material under the carpet in the boot to try and improve things in the interim. I've also listened to some of the sound clips that others have done and while mine sounds similar, it does seem more boomy and a little crude at the moment. I always thought that the Milltek sounded very cultured (but purposeful) and that's what I want to achieve.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i have a turbo back miltek on my 1.8T and although it is louder than standard it is not boomy or ott in any way imoa. buy the performance it offers is great and i dont think you will beat a miltek..

cheers Starry....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just fitted mine today,full system with sport cat.It spins the turbo up much quicker and gives it a little more in the mid range,the noise is only slightly noisier than standard-a bit wolf in sheeps clothing,not boyoish.A must have....now for Jabba....

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My turbo also spools much quicker and the difference in performance above 3000 rpm is significant.

Fitted a Forge TIH this morning and booming below 2000 rpm was reduced. Whether the two are related I don't know.

Can't understand why mine is as it is unless (a) a lot of noise is being trasmitted to the cabin via vibration/resonance or (b) something hasn't been fitted right (maybe a leaking clamp problem) or (c) something was damaged in transit. I'm inclined to suspect (a) or (b) as there were no dents on any of the pieces. Anyone got any suggestions please?

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Pope

Check the central mount under the car, by the mid silencer. Mine wasn't mounted properly and was very boomy. Sorted now.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Cheers Wilko. Will get that looked at on Wednesday. That silencer is also banging on the bottom of the car when the system is cold and the guys at the exhaust centre thought the clamps were pants. Maybe a new clamp will do the trick.

·
Registered
554 Posts
[^]Upgraded to Turbo back from cat back this weekend and I dont think the car is any louder, very satisfied and car now revs cleaner and higher, never heard a bad report about milteks before now [8)]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by Spin 150PD on 02/08/2004 12:34:55

[^]Upgraded to Turbo back from cat back this weekend and I dont think the car is any louder, very satisfied and car now revs cleaner and higher, never heard a bad report about milteks before now [8)]

Nice one Martin! [:D]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The DP itself does not appear to create any noise. You can hear the turbo spooling (sounds good) but that's it. All my noise seems to be coming from the cat back.

Judging by all the experiences that the rest of you have had, I'm remaining optimistic and will investigate fitting issues.

Having said that, there are a few similar comments in this thread

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1501848&page=1

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yes and no! Let me translate for you:

Resonator (res) = mid silencer

Muffler = rear silencer

I think it is posible to get a Milltek without the resonator in the UK (check Stewart) but it's not standard as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Took my car back to the exhaust centre this morning. Found that the resonator was touching the heat shield on one side and the pipe between the resonator and the muffler was touching the bottom of the car. Hence vibration, knocking when cold and a lot of resonance being transmitted to the cabin (the booming noise I've been hearing). After adjustments things were a LOT better. Car sounds almost stock when cruising but definitely growls at WOT and there is a little tingly vibration at higher rpms. The acid test will come later when the car has cooled down and I take it out again. Overall much better than before and starting to live up to the Milltek name.

I also fitted a Samco TIH at the week-end and the combination of improved turbo input and output is significant. I was waiting for these mods to be complete before deciding whether to do anything about the brakes. After this morning's brief drive I feel a front and back TT brake upgrade coming on when funds allow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts